General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-16 12:51:36
Print Post

Re: Looking for a cheap fibre package

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Don't really want to go back to anything less than 10mb but thanks for the suggestion.

I am leaning towards staying with Plusnet till the end of the contract (November) and assessing the state of the broadband market then.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-16 12:58:06
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

You will not easily get 10Mbps upload for £25 inc line rental unless you choose a provider with known congestion issues where upload is likely to drop down significantly.

Best deal you will find will be around £10 per month + line rental (on a deal for x amount of months before rising).

To keep 20 Mbps upload you will need to get 76Mbps services which will be more costly.

Are you out of contract with Plusnet or not? If not, my advice, wait for the contracts last month and negotiate then.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 07-Jul-16 12:59:11)

Standard User bob12345
(regular) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:24:16
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
In reply to a post by bob12345:
Origin broadband ( resell PN , if not got their equipment in your exchange )
Origin use a variety of partners, not just Plusnet, it's a bit of a lottery. They claimed they were moving everyone over to their own network via BTw in 2015, but I'm not sure that ever happened.

In any case, they have the most shocking contractual terms I've ever seen and I do not recommend anyone agree to them.

When i spoke to OB this week, they said they have their own network in over 30 exchanges , they then partner with Vodafone and Plusnet

I have not read their contractual terms yet, thought they would be similar to everyone else, what makes their terms worse than others ?
many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maniac886
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:32:05
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Origin broadband ( resell PN , if not got their equipment in your exchange )
Origin use a variety of partners, not just Plusnet, it's a bit of a lottery. They claimed they were moving everyone over to their own network via BTw in 2015, but I'm not sure that ever happened.

In any case, they have the most shocking contractual terms I've ever seen and I do not recommend anyone agree to them.

When i spoke to OB this week, they said they have their own network in over 30 exchanges , they then partner with Vodafone and Plusnet

I have not read their contractual terms yet, thought they would be similar to everyone else, what makes their terms worse than others ?
many thanks

I signed up to Origin last month and for me they use Vodafone - their service has been pretty good so far. I have had a couple of queries at the evenings on the weekend and they have responded within a couple of hours.

Plusnet
200m to cabinet
72.15MB/s down / 16.03MB/s up
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:39:28
Print Post

Are you referring to things under "The customer undertakes:" part of the terms and conditions?
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-16 16:24:00
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Okay thanks for the advice.

I was able to break out of my contract without penalty as they're changing the speed and price. If you think it would be easier to negotiate at the end of the contract then I may hold out for that. Also can access the deals at the time and see if SSE have sorted out their issues.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-16 18:51:59
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

Hi. It's the terms relevant to price increases, early termination and suspension of service.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-16 19:05:24
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I hesitate to even call them tips but have you considered:
- BT and Topcashback, seems to fit your requirements
- line rental saver
- Plusnet can I think still pay referral fees even if you leave
- ringing retentions again
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jul-16 19:11:46
Print Post

"Plusnet can I think still pay referral fees even if you leave".

Correct. It requires the account to be converted on leaving to an "email only" account, even though using the email service is not required. It's just a way to keep the account open and with a d/d authorisation. The details of that being used purely to send the payments.

These are sent each time the accumulated credit reaches £5.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-16 19:19:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good info. Can you add new referrals?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to