General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 13-Oct-16 18:05:01
Print Post

TalkTalk Business or Pulse8?

[link to this post]

Down to a final short list of 2.

On the one hand Pulse8 offer maximum flexibility with their one month contract. TTB on the other hand tie you into a 24 month contract, but look as though they are going to come out about £6 a month cheaper over the first two years once the cost of our fairly minimal calls are taken into account.

In terms of tech support, I suspect Pulse8 maybe marginally better, but then they are only open 9x5, whereas TTB are open 12x7.

It just feels like a straight forward cost vs flexibility decision, but would welcome anyone who has direct experience of either ISP (or ideally both, although I suspect that is a bit of a long shot!!)
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 15-Oct-16 20:12:20
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Business or Pulse8?

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

TTB here - I can't recommend them enough. The cost of your calls won't be an issue If you get the complete package. Also there is 2 premises moves within that contract so if you do more around it can soon pay off.

I can only speak of TTB tech support which so far has been very good.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/talktalkbusiness.co.uk

There is one for pulse8 too I am sure.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Oct-16 23:00:26
Print Post

I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but aren't the TTB prices excluding Vat, which needs adding? Or have you already worked that out?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 00:36:35
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
TTB here - I can't recommend them enough. The cost of your calls won't be an issue If you get the complete package. Also there is 2 premises moves within that contract so if you do more around it can soon pay off.

Thanks for that 23Prince.

The Pulse 8 equivalent is very dated and only features comments on their web services. Searching Pulse8 on this site gives a much better feel for their service offering.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 00:38:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but aren't the TTB prices excluding Vat, which needs adding? Or have you already worked that out?

I'd already worked that out, although I made a mistake cut and pasting in my spreadsheet. Once I had my mistake, the £6 a month costs saving from TTB have all but disappeared.

So now it comes down to the fact that TTB Complete package includes landline and mobile cals and provides things like caller display, but at the cost of a 24 month contract compared to the 1 month contract at Pulse8.

A bit more certainty against a significantly less flexibility. The ball appears to be swinging back in Pulse8's direction at the moment, despite 23Prince's endorsement for TTB.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Oct-16 00:47:28
Print Post

The Pulse8 landline is very basic but very cheap. No call plans. All I've added is the £1pm for caller display. The rental component when bundled with broadband is of course quoted as lower.

Do you ever make calls outside call plans? P8 could be miles cheaper there, as there are no setup charges. I don't know about TTB's, but BT and Plusnet setup for out of plan are horrendous. IIRC now looking at 8 or 9p per such call.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sun 16-Oct-16 00:56:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:

I'd already worked that out, although I made a mistake cut and pasting in my spreadsheet. Once I had my mistake, the £6 a month costs saving from TTB have all but disappeared.

So now it comes down to the fact that TTB Complete package includes landline and mobile cals and provides things like caller display, but at the cost of a 24 month contract compared to the 1 month contract at Pulse8.

A bit more certainty against a significantly less flexibility. The ball appears to be swinging back in Pulse8's direction at the moment, despite 23Prince's endorsement for TTB.

Well, That'a fair enough. Best thing is to maybe try Pulse8 and if it does not work out for you then try TTB instead? take advantage of the 30 day contract in the first instance if you need to.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Oct-16 01:33:12
Print Post

There is a hefty setup charge for Pulse8 FTTC. £75. Precisely for that idea.

It used to be free but too many people took advantage of that to get onto FTTC then migrated away pay after a month to where they wanted to be without having to pay installation there.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-16 06:05:36
Print Post

I'm with TTB and would highly recommend them:

1) If you go for their 'complete' plan it includes unlimited calls to UK landlines & mobiles, however you can also use this plan on your ios/android smartphone (talk2go app) on up to 5 smartphones so you could save some serious cash on your household (or friend/relative) mobiles by downgrading the minutes purchased and possibly increasing the data allowances though talk2go calls don't use much 3G/4G data when out & about.

2) The 'complete' plan includes up to 4 static ip address free of charge. AFAIK pulse8 charge a few quid each month for 1 static ip address. Landline Voice mail, caller ID, 3 way conference calling etc all come as free of charge on TTB.

3) TTB allow you to pay your monthly bill by credit card online so you can use a CC which offers you loyalty points/rewards/cashback. Obviously this overides the DD you have setup and no DD will be taken provided you make your CC payment at least a few days before DD due date.

4) Yes the 24 month contract on TTB makes you wanna puke on the sofa & throw the cat out of the window. However you're allowed 2 free house moves in that period and more importantly, TTB will let you leave penalty free if they cannot fix any fault within 28 days, even if the fault is down to Openreach. Something to do with a Ofcom Business Broadband ruling which TTB have signed up to.

5) While I wouldn't put their customer support at the same level as AAISP, they are still very, very good and operate 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. Many of their support staff used to work for a well known Rochdale based ISP so aren't your typical script readers. I guess Mr Tang wasn't paying them well enough wink

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 16-Oct-16 06:45:44)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 09:09:10
Print Post

The Pulse8 landline is very basic but very cheap. No call plans. All I've added is the £1pm for caller display. The rental component when bundled with broadband is of course quoted as lower.

Do you ever make calls outside call plans? P8 could be miles cheaper there, as there are no setup charges. I don't know about TTB's, but BT and Plusnet setup for out of plan are horrendous. IIRC now looking at 8 or 9p per such call.

On P8 Fibre the landline cost is included in the package cost, so it doesn't make any sense not to move the landline over.

We don't make a lot of landline calls, but roughly half of them are non-weekend calls. Our calls for the last year with BT cost £31.04. Running the same call durations through P8, the cost comes out at £7.44. the difference isn't going to make me rich, but it does show what how the major providers rip us off.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 09:15:51
Print Post

It used to be free but too many people took advantage of that to get onto FTTC then migrated away pay after a month to where they wanted to be without having to pay installation there.

They've reduced this to £49.50 migration cost, which matches the TTB fibre activation cost, although the TTB sales guys suggested this may be negotiable.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 09:20:28
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I'm with TTB and would highly recommend them:

1) If you go for their 'complete' plan it includes unlimited calls to UK landlines & mobiles, however you can also use this plan on your ios/android smartphone (talk2go app) on up to 5 smartphones so you could save some serious cash on your household (or friend/relative) mobiles by downgrading the minutes purchased and possibly increasing the data allowances though talk2go calls don't use much 3G/4G data when out & about.

2) The 'complete' plan includes up to 4 static ip address free of charge. AFAIK pulse8 charge a few quid each month for 1 static ip address. Landline Voice mail, caller ID, 3 way conference calling etc all come as free of charge on TTB.

3) TTB allow you to pay your monthly bill by credit card online so you can use a CC which offers you loyalty points/rewards/cashback. Obviously this overides the DD you have setup and no DD will be taken provided you make your CC payment at least a few days before DD due date.

4) Yes the 24 month contract on TTB makes you wanna puke on the sofa & throw the cat out of the window. However you're allowed 2 free house moves in that period and more importantly, TTB will let you leave penalty free if they cannot fix any fault within 28 days, even if the fault is down to Openreach. Something to do with a Ofcom Business Broadband ruling which TTB have signed up to.

5) While I wouldn't put their customer support at the same level as AAISP, they are still very, very good and operate 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. Many of their support staff used to work for a well known Rochdale based ISP so aren't your typical script readers. I guess Mr Tang wasn't paying them well enough wink

Some nice features there. Just not sure how much use I would make of them. We need caller Id, but apart from that most are a nice to have. Might give them a call about their o2 SIM only deals as my daughter is on 02 Simplicity at the moment.

I guess the support staff saw their zen coming from a different direction. wink
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 09:21:27
Print Post

Well, That'a fair enough. Best thing is to maybe try Pulse8 and if it does not work out for you then try TTB instead? take advantage of the 30 day contract in the first instance if you need to.

Probably my favoured route at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Oct-16 09:24:25
Print Post

Thanks for that. Their info page doesn't say that so needs to be amended.

Re the "makes no sense not to move the line over", I doubt if there would be any choice. I think their TTB service is MPF only.

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sun 16-Oct-16 10:15:28
Print Post

I remember that - I edited as the £50 fee was already mentioned above.

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 16-Oct-16 10:18:41)

Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Oct-16 14:53:20
Print Post

Hi
What a shame Talktalk business use complete morons at Clearanswer to hound the death out anybody who enters their details in their website.
I would recommend that anybody reads reviews at Clearanswer shaved chimp line before entering your number into the Talktalk business website.
If you read this Talktalk this is the reason I DID NOT use your company.
Key

Edited by keymaster (Sun 16-Oct-16 14:54:10)

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sun 16-Oct-16 20:08:30
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

But I have to question which "moron" didn't untick the option to not have this happen. I never had a call from them and I did untick it.

Edit

All the comments there are on about Orange and then EE. so I'm confused as to why you put it in the Talk Talk section?

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 16-Oct-16 20:10:18)

Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Oct-16 20:27:38
Print Post

Hi
because Talktalk business also use them and they called me non stop about talktalk business.
I never noticed box so I must be moron but I wouldnt have minded talktalk calling me - just not these dorks who have a terrible reputation.
seems many more "morons" who did same with Talktalk business and not just EE
Talktalk business and not EE

Talktalk business and not EE

K

Edited by keymaster (Sun 16-Oct-16 20:30:30)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 20:42:08
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

I have had calls from TalkTalk (although the number is a Clearanswer number (although not the one you posted).

I think all I did was put my number in the line checker on their site. Sounds like I need to be more assertive if they ring again.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Sun 16-Oct-16 21:59:28
Print Post

The Pulse 8 equivalent is very dated and only features comments on their web services. Searching Pulse8 on this site gives a much better feel for their service offering.

Joined Pulse8 in November 2015, the initial connection wasn't cheap as I had to have a new line.

Having said that I have never had a bill over £52 per month. My basic package costs £47 with them for called ID and a static IP.

The TTB equivalent is £38.34 a month for 12 months and then £56.34 for the remaining 12 months.

Over a 24 month period Pulse8 are £8 cheaper but I haven't included any calls that I may make (averages £3 a month) including calls Pulse8 are £64 more expensive over the same period.

The one advantage I can see with TTB are the 4 static IP addresses, talk2go app and the fact that the customer service desk is open longer than Pulse8 as far as I can tell.

Can't fault the service from Pulse8, they worked on an issue for two weeks where I couldn't obtain full speed, combination of issue with TTB and then DLM cutting in because of the rebooted modem, replaced modem and so on.

Just be aware that if you try to switch from Pulse8 to TTB you can't for some reason. TTB will try to provision a new line at a cost of £50, they did when I looked into it a few weeks ago anyway.

Would be curious around IPV6 IP addresses as AAISP are giving those out on their offering.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 17-Oct-16 09:30:42
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Been having fun and games with our Sky connection (see here).

It's taken me a week of intermittent problems for Sky to have escalated to their back office team and I'm still look a a further 5 working days for resolution.

Good CS has suddenly become a much higher priority. P8 is obviously a one stop shop for support, but does anyone know if TTB operate a similar to tier front desk-back desk model to Sky.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Oct-16 09:57:56
Print Post

TTB operate 2 levels of support teams: 1 for billing/general support, 1 for technical issues. Technical team can resolve pretty much everything without passing you from pillar to post.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 17-Oct-16 11:22:21
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Skilty:

Joined Pulse8 in November 2015, the initial connection wasn't cheap as I had to have a new line.

Having said that I have never had a bill over £52 per month. My basic package costs £47 with them for called ID and a static IP.

The TTB equivalent is £38.34 a month for 12 months and then £56.34 for the remaining 12 months.

Over a 24 month period Pulse8 are £8 cheaper but I haven't included any calls that I may make (averages £3 a month) including calls Pulse8 are £64 more expensive over the same period.

The one advantage I can see with TTB are the 4 static IP addresses, talk2go app and the fact that the customer service desk is open longer than Pulse8 as far as I can tell.

Can't fault the service from Pulse8, they worked on an issue for two weeks where I couldn't obtain full speed, combination of issue with TTB and then DLM cutting in because of the rebooted modem, replaced modem and so on.

Just be aware that if you try to switch from Pulse8 to TTB you can't for some reason. TTB will try to provision a new line at a cost of £50, they did when I looked into it a few weeks ago anyway.

Would be curious around IPV6 IP addresses as AAISP are giving those out on their offering.

I had an IPv6 address on BT and apart from being able to do speedtests here and access V6 URl's for whom I already use - no advantage.

If someone has a static IPv4 address why boher with 6? 6 is because 4 is running out but a static would never run out.

Unless the whole world went to 6 only - i dont see the point in going back there. My connection was also a bit slower under 6 according to this and other speedtest sites
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Oct-16 12:48:25
Print Post

AIUI for quite a while there have been some sites that are only available on IPv6. That is bound to increase rapidly as there won't be sufficient IPv4 addresses available for all the future sites. Particularly the greater the number of users hanging on to static IPv4 addresses.

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 17-Oct-16 16:52:46
Print Post

Fair enough I guess it only matters then if someone uses such sites. The day google goes IPV6 only is the day I will panic/care/take action again
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Oct-16 17:19:52
Print Post

All google does is provide links to sites. If the result that looks nearest to what you are looking for, from the snippet google shows you, and it is an IPv6 only site, you're stymied.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 17-Oct-16 17:20:17)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 23-Oct-16 23:50:06
Print Post

Probably my favoured route at the moment.

After much wavering, I've eventually decided to go for Pulse8.

Very impressed with them on the phone and it's nice to be dealing with a small company that care.

I got very close to going with TTB and if their very cost effective SIM deals weren't UK only, the result may have been different. Ultimately I couldn't quite bring myself to sign up for 24 months, knowing that ongoing years would have been significantly more expensive than Pulse8.

Uno were very close as well and if only their Talk Surf Fibre package was available rather than 'coming soon', I may well have gone with them.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 24-Oct-16 12:42:22
Print Post

Nice to see you made a informed choice. Let us know how you get on with them. I know someone who raised a fault out of hours and it was ignored for days.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 24-Oct-16 13:46:17
Print Post

If I'm being honest what you kindly referred to as 'informed choice' turned more into an exercise of 'paralysis by analysis'. but I got there in the end. wink

In the end it came down to feeling intrinsically more comfortable with a small dynamic organisation that I can always bale out of relatively exercise, if I have issues and just feeling more comfortable to a flat cost profile rather the the megalith's approach of discounting early and taking their pound of flesh earlier.

All I can say is that P8 have been very open and honest over the phone and responded very promptly to any sales related emails I have sent them.

More than happy to keep you posted with how it goes.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 25-Oct-16 10:57:29
Print Post

I agree with you on small company and no contract. TTB is the only thing I have that has any sort of long term contract, everything else I have is all 30 days and that's the way I like it.

So I totally get where you come from on that point.

The proof is in the pudding - and when you have to raise a fault late at night when they are shut and how they deal with that afterwards will be the proof of their worth.

Anyone can charm someone into signing up - it's only after that you learn the true meaning of " you get what you pay for"

That all said - you pay more than me so I hope I can feel as confident should the need arise!

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 25-Oct-16 10:57:59)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:09:41
Print Post

I had a fault once while on P8 (turns out TT had deleted my record from the RADIUS server for some unknown reason). The fault was reported Friday lunchtime. Unfortunately because they were closed over the weekend i had to ring back Monday morning for an update. TTB had apparently done something to my line over the weekend and wanted to know if it had worked, when i told them it hadnt, they escalated the issue and it was fixed a few hours later.

Both times i spoke to the same guy so didnt have to repeat myself multiple times to different tech support guys. Yes the issue would have been fixed sooner if they offered weekend support, but all in all it was a 24hr fix if you dont count the weekend

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 25-Oct-16 20:10:12)

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 26-Oct-16 09:59:38
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

That's fair enough. Although I think there is only 1 guy from what I have read.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:04:50
Print Post

They have at least 2. Adam and Sam.

I also had issues on migration day when for some reason the migration didnt happen ontime. Adam was great and kept me informed of what was happening
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:11:44
Print Post

Ah right - 2 then. I do stand corrected.

Sounds like a white label option they have bought and now run. I was going to do the same but the costs and hassle didn't warrant it.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:40:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
They have at least 2. Adam and Sam.

They claim 5, although i suspect the other 3 are probably principally there to support their web hosting operation but can step in if required.

I did get some dodgy advice from one of them about needing a MAC code to migrate, so agree this is primarily an Adam & Sam operation.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-16 18:49:56
Print Post

Three in that department actually. Then there is Adams wife in accounts that I know of.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to