General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:32:17
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob,

Isn't there an activation charge to consider as well?

IDNet claimed they are discounting the BT charges by £25 when I called them a couple of months ago.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:35:52
Print Post

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

I suspect the Quality scores are a snapshot of customer reports at any moment in time, not a scientific independent measurement. IDNet have a loyal customer base. Whether deserved or not is a judgement.

I've been with them for six years, on a capped line below 40Mbps. I have no gripes with the IDNet network, consistent low latency and reliable for me, but of course the restriction on my OR local loop means I can never take it it anywhere near its potential. That being said there have been periods of packet loss and high latency, which IDNet have been slow to fix it sometimes appears on their network. They seem to have got to grips with it for the time being. But remember they have a large commercial client base, as well as their residential customers, which can put pressure on their network. I'm not sure whether Sky have a commercial client base?

However I have recently found in my experience that IDNet appear reluctant to engage with and argue with OpenReach if there are problems on the local loop. Perhaps it doesn't matter if your line is reliable or you don't push it. Which is my dilemma, why argue if in practical terms it doesn't matter? But we do pay a premium for IDNet; and certainly, in my case, it isn't worth it.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:40:27
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

That's a different issue smile. I am unhappy with what the claimed (not tbb-vertfied) IDNet rep syas about lines not being on the Openreach network, and what appears to be a 148% profit margin on the cost of transferring from MPF to WLR3. Whether that profit is part BT Wholesale and part IDNet is something I don't know, but whatever it is extortionate.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:48:05
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Interested in what people would consider a 'scientific independent measurement' when you are working with a large sample where many elements are very variable.

If the metric is random and has no basis in sensible analysis of each individuals test then we can expect to see the figures vary wildly each month.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nikos_IDNet
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 15:37:11
Print Post

We do indeed mean when the landline is not on Openreach WLR3.

When the phone line moves from LLU back to Openreach, the broadband will cease and a new provide order is then placed to get the service back up and running.

The fee we previously quoted covers the full activation cost, not just the LLU import.

Migration From LLU Phone Line (Inludes number import and take over of working line) £50.00 ex VAT
New BB activation £25 ex VAT
So a move from LLU to IDNet is £75 ex VAT

In markyr74's case, he mentions he is currently with BT so there will be no charge for the migration across. This would only be relevant if he moved to Now TV and they moved the phone line rental to LLU from the Openreach network and he later decided to migrate over to us.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 15:39:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Homehub self rebooting by any chance?
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:05:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Interested in what people would consider a 'scientific independent measurement' when you are working with a large sample where many elements are very variable.

If the metric is random and has no basis in sensible analysis of each individuals test then we can expect to see the figures vary wildly each month.

Wasn't being critical. What I think I was referring to was that, as far as I know (which is, not at all) TBB do not themselves monitor the performance of, say, the Sky and IDNet networks to get the Quality metric. But perhaps I'm wrong? The poster asked the difference it makes between a Quality score of 1 for Sky and 1.5 for IDNet. I wasn't sure anyone can tell, but if anyone can I think you can!!!

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 30-Mar-17 16:13:40)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:36:36
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Let me fix that for you:

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Wasn't being critical. What I think I was referring to was that, as far as I know (which is, not at all) TBB do not themselves monitor the performance of, say, the Sky and IDNet networks to get the Quality metric. But perhaps I'm wrong? The poster asked the difference it makes between a Quality score of 1.5 for Sky and 1 for IDNet. I wasn't sure anyone can tell, but if anyone can I think you can!!!
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:45:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's a different issue smile. I am unhappy with what the claimed (not tbb-vertfied) IDNet rep syas about lines not being on the Openreach network, and what appears to be a 148% profit margin on the cost of transferring from MPF to WLR3. Whether that profit is part BT Wholesale and part IDNet is something I don't know, but whatever it is extortionate.

IDNet are competitive with the likes of Aquiss and Uno when it comes to getting back from LLU to a WLR3 line, but look horrendously expensive compared to the likes of BT who just swallow the cost.

I wish I'd realised this before I made the move to Pulse8. Just goes to show you can act slowly and still repent at leisure. wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 17:15:50
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

AIUI if you migrate just the broadband away from Pulse8 they switch the line to WLR3 at £13pm. I'm not aware of a charge, but haven't checked recently.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to