General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:28
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7650-uk-broadband...

The quality metric needs its scale explaining so a rough guide is:
•1 to 1.2: Very good connection for streaming and gaming with stable speeds
•1.3 to 1.8: Connections are good but there may be the odd rare stutter in downloads or gaming
•1.8 to 2.2: Likely to be using Wi-Fi or on a good mobile service. The odd dip in speeds and stutters are noticeable
•2.2 to 3: Your connection or Wi-Fi is affecting your experience and web pages may arrive in fits and starts
•3 to 4: Connection is likely to be heavily congested and streaming will be difficult. It is worth checking no-one in the property is also heavily using the connection
•Over 4: Time to find a better provider or if on Wi-Fi use an Ethernet cable

What do you mean by monitor the Sky and IDNet networks? We have speed tests from visitors and the quality metric is based on an analysis of that test.

A test with a metric of 1 http://tbb.st/1490610817354990855
A test with a metric of 2.1 http://tbb.st/1489572196285221155

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 18:52:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Except if you are on TTB MPF fibre, you can't just move the Broadband away.

You have to migrate away and then come back apparently if you want to keep your phone with them.

At one stage I was seriously thinking of going Zen broadband with P8 phone, but it was a 'no can do'.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:05:59
Print Post

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

Hi,

I have NowTV, I have the 80/20 service. It's about the same as my other line and with the Entertainment package we pay £37,99 a month, cut off whenever we like.

Wireless on the box is not that great, I paid £44 setup so I know I can migrate away if I choose not to just disconnect it.

Seems fine to me so far, had it a few days.

Speed test whilst typing this. 73/18

Unable to run one on TBB getting usual IPv6 errors

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 30-Mar-17 19:11:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:06:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The broadband part of the NOW TV should be the same as the Sky Broadband service since its the same.

It is - with IPv6 to boot! smile

Shows up as Sky when you do tests, from what I can see
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 20:01:09
Print Post

Hmm. Well I'm on WLR and not MPF, currently, so it's no cost to Idnet. I've seen a couple of posts stating Now TV Fibre is fine, as I said I've got the Netgear Orbi wireless system, I've tried expensive Asus routers and the Hime Hub 6, the Orbi for me is by far the best solution, it gets the signal where I want.
I can buy the Sky Q hub as it's plug n play with the Now TV network if I'm fussed about the chipset the modem uses.
With Idnet you can buy a Billion router modem which will no doubt keep sync like nothing else.

But I have read, a couple of times, that you can get traffic shaping on Idnet due to the business being priority, and I'm not going to pay £10 a month extra to stop it! But has anyone had experience of traffic or performance degrading on Idnet?

Sky don't provide broadband to business, maybe to pubs that have its TV I guess?

With Now TV do you have access to Sky's wifi hotspots as well?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 20:46:40
Print Post

I feel like Skys quality metric will be reduced a fair bit as they use single band 2.4Ghz WiFi for a majority of customers. Then consider the typical Sky customer, a majority will be on wireless with the hub plugged in anywhere convenient and possibly into some poor extension wiring.

Generally speaking an IDNET customer goes there because they value their connection more, willing to pay a bit more for broadband, and want better support. These guys are more likely to be clued up on what makes good broadband, and CS is better, all of this means they are more likely to use the master socket / be wired and therefore probably will be a better metric.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 21:13:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Irregular but the HomeHub is running the line a couple of Meg faster so potentially to be expected

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nikos_IDNet
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:21:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by markyr74:
But I have read, a couple of times, that you can get traffic shaping on Idnet due to the business being priority, and I'm not going to pay £10 a month extra to stop it! But has anyone had experience of traffic or performance degrading on Idnet?

As promised on our website, 'We guarantee no contention on our network, no throttling, no traffic shaping & no port blocking' . We stand by this promise so much so that we have provided access to view our network capacity as shown here: https://www.idnet.net/about/our_network.php

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:37:25
Print Post

[re: Nikos_IDNet] [link to this post]

This is fantastic to see, shame other providers do not do the same!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:50:16
Print Post

[re: Nikos_IDNet] [link to this post]

You can guarantee that every network link, switch, router, server, etc is running with spare capacity 100% of the time? If so that is pretty unique in the consumer broadband world. The map you link to is very high level and doesn't show capacity of all components from what I can see.

Can you also confirm that there is no prioritisation going on - all traffic has equal priority on all components of your network?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to