General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:25:19
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: Nikos_IDNet] [link to this post]

I believe at Zen-enabled exchanges you use their backhaul rather than BT Wholesale. I don't see that mentioned.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:40:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nikos_IDNet:
In reply to a post by markyr74:
But I have read, a couple of times, that you can get traffic shaping on Idnet due to the business being priority, and I'm not going to pay £10 a month extra to stop it! But has anyone had experience of traffic or performance degrading on Idnet?

As promised on our website, 'We guarantee no contention on our network, no throttling, no traffic shaping & no port blocking' . We stand by this promise so much so that we have provided access to view our network capacity as shown here: https://www.idnet.net/about/our_network.php

Nikos
IDNet Support

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what the extra optional £10 charge a month for the higher traffic priority in the evenings is for?
Standard User Spl
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:41:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Re IDNET support, I am on a 20CN exchange (WNGLC), cabinet 1 serving several hundred lines, broadband was slowing to under 3MB and sometimes below 2MB every evening. After speaking to Brian at IDNET he chased up BT Wholesale to see if I could be moved to a less congested VP, BT responded that all VP's were full and that the exchange was congested.
I have contacted BT openreach and have a case handler assigned who has asked BT Wholesale for info on the congestion issue.
The reason for me contacting Openreach is that we have a part built FTTP network in the village but have not seen any visible progress in nine months even though nearby LLU enabled exchanges are having there FTTC and FTTP systems completed.

BT Openreach initially stated that my exchange was not showing as congested, Brian then forwarded BT wholesales response.
I quote from an email from IDNET:

'The wholesaler confirmed during the fault progress they had seen the line is connected to a congested VP and then checked to determine if the line can be moved to a less congested part of the network however found there is currently no capacity to do this. this could be on the network between the exchange and the wholesaler network so may not be visible by Openreach unless they contact the wholesaler to check on the VP status for your line.
Kind regards,
Brian
IDNetí

Without this info, BT Openreach were washing there hands of the issue.

Considering the help I have had so far from IDNET, I would highly recommend them. Response to questions is both quick and properly handled, with no messing about.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nikos_IDNet
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:11:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I believe at Zen-enabled exchanges you use their backhaul rather than BT Wholesale. I don't see that mentioned.

We have connections via BT Wholesale, Openreach, Talk Talk Business, Virgin, Zen, Gigaclear and Vodafone where appropriate.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:20:01
Print Post

All of which can be subject to congestion if you have not contracted for sufficient peak capacity.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:50:13
Print Post

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what the extra optional £10 charge a month for the higher traffic priority in the evenings is for?

All broadband services are contended and may be subject to congestion at the cabinet and/or exchange during peak times which can reduce throughput speeds. We offer the option to add traffic priority at an additional £10 per month ex VAT, which will give you preferential weighting of traffic over non prioritised traffic through the cabinet and exchange.

As previously mentioned, there is no congestion through the IDNet network.

Nikos
IDNet Support
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:51:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

We can confirm that there is no contention across our network - all devices that we have control over have spare capacity all the time and so we do not need to shape or throttle any traffic.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 18:18:59
Print Post

We can confirm that there is no contention across our network - all devices that we have control over have spare capacity all the time and so we do not need to shape or throttle any traffic.

Nikos
IDNet Support

Maybe not - but you'r desperation is really overpowering!
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 12:35:52
Print Post

That really makes no sense, we have no contention but every broadband service is contended so you can pay more to reduce this.
I think you perhaps need to clarify which side of the network you are referring to when you are talking about this, yours or Openreach's.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Apr-17 12:46:28
Print Post

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

Or their BT Wholesale shared MSILs or any of their contracted bandwidth with the several other suppliers they use. (Possibly they have dedicated MSILs). It's highly unlikely they contract with each of those for the maximum concurrent usage they may have to supply through each, come the next Olympics or Wimbledon.

Even The Grand Tour or an iOS release.

Uncontended within their internal router network is irrelevant.

The poster, still unverified as an IDNet Rep by the way, seems to be either trying to pull the wool over our eyes, (perhaps unaware that these forums are full of people with considerable knowledge), or is woolly in their understanding of this level of network provision.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to