General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 21:08:53
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by markyr74:
What do you mean?
smile
Check who and what it was a reply to wink. A WAP is a Wireless Access Point.
I have also looked at Pulse8, their pricing is the same ish as NowTV but cheaper then Idnet, are Pulse8 any good? My exchange has Talk Talk LLU equipment in it and as I understand Pulse8 resell TT Business? I also looked at John Lewis which resell Plusnet Business broadband, again may be an option.
I only have my line rental with Pulse8, not the broadband. That was because at the time there was a problem migrating an existing FTTC service to them. IIRC that has now been solved, but I'm not sure.

jaydub who has replied is someone I trust to give sensible assessments smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Mon 10-Apr-17 21:58:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know what a WAP is, just didn't know why you posted it, this forum confuses me when you reply to a post but without quotes haha!
I'll be ringing BT tomorrow to cancel my free TV I never used, so I'll look to pull the trigger on a new provider too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 23:54:28
Print Post

If you are reading in Flat Mode every post has its header. In the header it says "re: poster". If that isn't enough, as it may not be obvious which post by that person, you can click that "re: poster" and it takes you to the actual post.

If in Threaded Mode the header tells you the same but you see only one post, and the thread layout is in the panel below it. If there are a few posts stacked vertically below a post, they are all replies to the post immediately above the top one of the stack, which is set to the left of the stack. As you can see from the time stamps on the right those are in reverse order.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:02:44
Print Post

I'll be ringing BT tomorrow to cancel my free TV I never used, so I'll look to pull the trigger on a new provider too.
Don't tell BT that you want to cancel or cease your broadband though! Don't even say you are going to. They are likely to put a "Cease" order on the broadband and/or line and that leaves you in dead shtuck, as you can't order from another ISP until the cease completes.

In fact why cancel the free TV? It's free and will stop as soon as you leave.

The migration procedure is simply order from your preferred new ISP. They handle it all. The old MAC system was scrapped years ago.

The system tells your existing provider, who should send you an email telling you when you will be leaving and if you will have any outstanding payments to make. Similarly the new provider should tell you the date you will be transferred to them. Which may not be the same as the date you selected when ordering.

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:05:09
Print Post

I wasn't sure if the TV cancels down when I change providers? I've never even inboxed the TV box they send you!
But if your sure it will cancel when I change providers then I won't worry about it.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:33:58
Print Post

Unlikely to impact you in terms of streaming.

I am connected to a cabinet the other side of our garden wall and hence am on a 80:20 connection.

At one point we were getting single thread speeds that were roughly half of the multi thread speeds. If I'm being honest, we weren't impacted by it, however I knew we should have better and spent a lot of time and effort pushing for what TTB ought to have been providing.

I've just run a couple of speed tests off now and both were similar to this one:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

This was the worst of the 4 I ran off this morning, Two with a blip in them and two straight lines like this evening's results.

Are they perfect? No. Are they good value for what they charge? Damn right they are!
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:53:44
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Very nice. I won't get a perfect line as the max estimated on my line is only 33mbps. The highest I've seen it at is 30mbps, but it now won't budge over 27mbps, and I've tried an OpenReach HG612 on the line for a week too!
So I don't see the point in paying a lot for BB now, if my line performed better then maybe I would. So I'll look more into Pulse8 tomorrow and their pricing, think I'll decide between them and Plusnet. Or maybe John Lewis too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Apr-17 01:14:05
Print Post

Note that Plusnet and John Lewis will only give you an upstream connection of 2Mbps. JL may have slightly better CS than Plusnet itself, for commercial reasons! JL are a big customer with high customer satisfaction in their business. Pulse8 is up to 10Mbps upstream.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Apr-17 08:53:02
Print Post

Yes, Plusnet offer 2MBPS, but it is cheap. John Lewis will actually let me purchase the up to 70mbps package on their website so I can get my full upload speed. Also from what I've read as JL are reselling Plusnet business Fibre then the support staff are Plusnet too.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 11-Apr-17 18:19:17
Print Post

I wasn't sure if the TV cancels down when I change providers? I've never even inboxed the TV box they send you!
But if your sure it will cancel when I change providers then I won't worry about it.

Yes I agree with Bob, Don't say you are cancelling, If you are not bothered about the TV just migrate to the new provider. I was hit with a £31 charge for cancelling the broadband, when I wanted to Migrate, BT cut me off instead.

Just migrate. The TV will either stay on or off
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to