General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 19:53:52
Print Post

Idnet or Now TV?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm looking to leave my BT Infinity as the contracts up, I can only get a max of 33mbps on my line.
I'm looking for phone and Fibre BB, I've narrowed down my choice to based on price, Now TVs combo package and Idnet'shome broadband.

I'm interested in Now TV because it's no contract, and they have a good offer at present, and I've used the Now TV before and like it's service, I have also chatted to them online and they are prompt and polite. And they offer support till 11PM.

Idnet offers a service that may be faster, it's network is more geared for business so has a lot of redundancy built in, but it only offers email support after hours and at the weekend, and it's a bit more expensive, however it makes a lot of promises about performance.

Is it really going to make a lot of difference on Fibre with these performance promises? I don't care what router I use as I have the Netgear Orbi wireless system (which is excellent by the way).

Both packages are unlimited. I use a lot of streaming and gaming on Xbox and PlayStation.

Has anyone had any experience with Now TV or Idnet Fibre broadband?

The Idnet package is £42.60 a month with no inclusive calls for a 12 month contract.

The Now TV package will be about £31.50 a month under an offer they currently have for 12 months with no contract and the Now TV Entertainment pass but no inclusive calls.

Ive also thought about Plusnet, but they refuse to sell of offer me the up to 70MBPS Fibre package so I can get upload speeds of 10MBPS, and I as a result refuse to accept 2MBPS upload speeds.

Edited by markyr74 (Wed 29-Mar-17 23:02:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Mar-17 22:52:30
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

The broadband part of the NOW TV should be the same as the Sky Broadband service since its the same.

I'd go for the NOW TV bundle and if its not up to what you expect there is no contract and can shift to IDNet at a later date.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:08:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The broadband part of the NOW TV should be the same as the Sky Broadband service since its the same.

I'd go for the NOW TV bundle and if its not up to what you expect there is no contract and can shift to IDNet at a later date.

Yeah, that's the good bit about it, my exchange has Sky LLU in it so I presume I'll be linked from there to the Sky backbone? I also had it confirmed that the Sky Q hub will work fine in Now TV, so if I'm fussed about having a possibly newer chipset in the router I could pick one up off eBay for £30 ish, if it makes any difference to connection stability that is.

I also keep seeing people claim the latency on Sky Fibre is really good, is that just the odd case or is it a general consensus on a reasonable line quality?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:23:55
Print Post

Generally the case that VDSL2 is better latency than ADSL2+, as for Sky being better than the others, not something I've noticed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:34:08
Print Post

Now TV is just sky and will be fine. Should be the same as BT really.

The WiFi on the Now TV router isn't very good, but you know that already I am sure. It will work but not super fast.

Have you spoke with BT retentions?
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 00:25:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I don't want to stay with BT really, never use their TV service and I get fed up with the Home Hub restarting every 2 weeks or so, apparently for firmware update checks.

Don't care about wireless as I have the Orbi system, it's the best solution I've ever had, even if it wasn't cheap!

Another thing I noticed is on the quality score on the test results Idnet gets 1 and Sky gets 1.5:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7650-uk-broadband...

How much difference does that make?

Edited by markyr74 (Thu 30-Mar-17 01:29:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 09:15:49
Print Post

IDNet may benefit from a cleaner network and users who make sure things are setup right at their end.

Had Sky prior to my current BT for the TV downstairs and will be someone else in June, and Sky was more stable (the HomeHub issues I suspect) but speeds and qos similar.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 09:23:49
Print Post

The issuette with this strategy is that IDNet charge £90 for migrating in off a LLU connection.
Standard User Nikos_IDNet
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:50:44
Print Post

Hi Markyr74,

Thanks for considering IDNet!

I just wanted to make some clarifications regarding our company and customer service.

We offer technical support via telephone 24/7, sales and account support its from 0800 - 1800 Monday to Friday. You can reach us on free phone 0800 331 7000 and [email protected]

With regards to LLU Import:

If your service is currently on the Openreach network then the Migration from your current ISP over to IDNet is free.

If your service is with an LLU provider, so not on the Openreach network, we would have to import your telephone line back over to the Openreach network to provide you with a service. This import will cost £75 ex VAT if it's from Sky or TalkTalk.

If you are migrating over from Virgin it will cost £125 as a new line installation on the Openreach network would be required.

Kind regards,

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:16:20
Print Post

[re: Nikos_IDNet] [link to this post]

Ummmm.

If we disregard Virgin Media Cable and the likes of Hyperoptic, all FTTC uses the Openreach network, and so do landlines. Either via MPF or SMPF.

Do you perhaps mean if the landline is not on Openreach WLR3? IN which case the Openreach charge is surely:-

"Conversion of Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) Metallic Path Facility (MPF) to a single Wholesale Access line. Operative date 01/04/2016 £30.26 + Vat"?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:32:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob,

Isn't there an activation charge to consider as well?

IDNet claimed they are discounting the BT charges by £25 when I called them a couple of months ago.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:35:52
Print Post

I suspect the Quality scores are a snapshot of customer reports at any moment in time, not a scientific independent measurement. IDNet have a loyal customer base. Whether deserved or not is a judgement.

I've been with them for six years, on a capped line below 40Mbps. I have no gripes with the IDNet network, consistent low latency and reliable for me, but of course the restriction on my OR local loop means I can never take it it anywhere near its potential. That being said there have been periods of packet loss and high latency, which IDNet have been slow to fix it sometimes appears on their network. They seem to have got to grips with it for the time being. But remember they have a large commercial client base, as well as their residential customers, which can put pressure on their network. I'm not sure whether Sky have a commercial client base?

However I have recently found in my experience that IDNet appear reluctant to engage with and argue with OpenReach if there are problems on the local loop. Perhaps it doesn't matter if your line is reliable or you don't push it. Which is my dilemma, why argue if in practical terms it doesn't matter? But we do pay a premium for IDNet; and certainly, in my case, it isn't worth it.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:40:27
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

That's a different issue smile. I am unhappy with what the claimed (not tbb-vertfied) IDNet rep syas about lines not being on the Openreach network, and what appears to be a 148% profit margin on the cost of transferring from MPF to WLR3. Whether that profit is part BT Wholesale and part IDNet is something I don't know, but whatever it is extortionate.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:48:05
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Interested in what people would consider a 'scientific independent measurement' when you are working with a large sample where many elements are very variable.

If the metric is random and has no basis in sensible analysis of each individuals test then we can expect to see the figures vary wildly each month.

(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 15:37:11
Print Post

We do indeed mean when the landline is not on Openreach WLR3.

When the phone line moves from LLU back to Openreach, the broadband will cease and a new provide order is then placed to get the service back up and running.

The fee we previously quoted covers the full activation cost, not just the LLU import.

Migration From LLU Phone Line (Inludes number import and take over of working line) £50.00 ex VAT
New BB activation £25 ex VAT
So a move from LLU to IDNet is £75 ex VAT

In markyr74's case, he mentions he is currently with BT so there will be no charge for the migration across. This would only be relevant if he moved to Now TV and they moved the phone line rental to LLU from the Openreach network and he later decided to migrate over to us.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 15:39:06
Print Post

Homehub self rebooting by any chance?
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:05:23
Print Post

Interested in what people would consider a 'scientific independent measurement' when you are working with a large sample where many elements are very variable.

If the metric is random and has no basis in sensible analysis of each individuals test then we can expect to see the figures vary wildly each month.

Wasn't being critical. What I think I was referring to was that, as far as I know (which is, not at all) TBB do not themselves monitor the performance of, say, the Sky and IDNet networks to get the Quality metric. But perhaps I'm wrong? The poster asked the difference it makes between a Quality score of 1 for Sky and 1.5 for IDNet. I wasn't sure anyone can tell, but if anyone can I think you can!!!

- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 30-Mar-17 16:13:40)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:36:36
Print Post

Let me fix that for you:

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Wasn't being critical. What I think I was referring to was that, as far as I know (which is, not at all) TBB do not themselves monitor the performance of, say, the Sky and IDNet networks to get the Quality metric. But perhaps I'm wrong? The poster asked the difference it makes between a Quality score of 1.5 for Sky and 1 for IDNet. I wasn't sure anyone can tell, but if anyone can I think you can!!!
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:45:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's a different issue smile. I am unhappy with what the claimed (not tbb-vertfied) IDNet rep syas about lines not being on the Openreach network, and what appears to be a 148% profit margin on the cost of transferring from MPF to WLR3. Whether that profit is part BT Wholesale and part IDNet is something I don't know, but whatever it is extortionate.

IDNet are competitive with the likes of Aquiss and Uno when it comes to getting back from LLU to a WLR3 line, but look horrendously expensive compared to the likes of BT who just swallow the cost.

I wish I'd realised this before I made the move to Pulse8. Just goes to show you can act slowly and still repent at leisure. wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 17:15:50
Print Post

AIUI if you migrate just the broadband away from Pulse8 they switch the line to WLR3 at £13pm. I'm not aware of a charge, but haven't checked recently.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:28
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7650-uk-broadband...

The quality metric needs its scale explaining so a rough guide is:
•1 to 1.2: Very good connection for streaming and gaming with stable speeds
•1.3 to 1.8: Connections are good but there may be the odd rare stutter in downloads or gaming
•1.8 to 2.2: Likely to be using Wi-Fi or on a good mobile service. The odd dip in speeds and stutters are noticeable
•2.2 to 3: Your connection or Wi-Fi is affecting your experience and web pages may arrive in fits and starts
•3 to 4: Connection is likely to be heavily congested and streaming will be difficult. It is worth checking no-one in the property is also heavily using the connection
•Over 4: Time to find a better provider or if on Wi-Fi use an Ethernet cable

What do you mean by monitor the Sky and IDNet networks? We have speed tests from visitors and the quality metric is based on an analysis of that test.

A test with a metric of 1 http://tbb.st/1490610817354990855
A test with a metric of 2.1 http://tbb.st/1489572196285221155

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 18:52:30
Print Post

Except if you are on TTB MPF fibre, you can't just move the Broadband away.

You have to migrate away and then come back apparently if you want to keep your phone with them.

At one stage I was seriously thinking of going Zen broadband with P8 phone, but it was a 'no can do'.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:05:59
Print Post

Hi,

I have NowTV, I have the 80/20 service. It's about the same as my other line and with the Entertainment package we pay £37,99 a month, cut off whenever we like.

Wireless on the box is not that great, I paid £44 setup so I know I can migrate away if I choose not to just disconnect it.

Seems fine to me so far, had it a few days.

Speed test whilst typing this. 73/18

Unable to run one on TBB getting usual IPv6 errors

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 30-Mar-17 19:11:19)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:06:29
Print Post

It is - with IPv6 to boot! smile

Shows up as Sky when you do tests, from what I can see
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 20:01:09
Print Post

Hmm. Well I'm on WLR and not MPF, currently, so it's no cost to Idnet. I've seen a couple of posts stating Now TV Fibre is fine, as I said I've got the Netgear Orbi wireless system, I've tried expensive Asus routers and the Hime Hub 6, the Orbi for me is by far the best solution, it gets the signal where I want.
I can buy the Sky Q hub as it's plug n play with the Now TV network if I'm fussed about the chipset the modem uses.
With Idnet you can buy a Billion router modem which will no doubt keep sync like nothing else.

But I have read, a couple of times, that you can get traffic shaping on Idnet due to the business being priority, and I'm not going to pay £10 a month extra to stop it! But has anyone had experience of traffic or performance degrading on Idnet?

Sky don't provide broadband to business, maybe to pubs that have its TV I guess?

With Now TV do you have access to Sky's wifi hotspots as well?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 20:46:40
Print Post

I feel like Skys quality metric will be reduced a fair bit as they use single band 2.4Ghz WiFi for a majority of customers. Then consider the typical Sky customer, a majority will be on wireless with the hub plugged in anywhere convenient and possibly into some poor extension wiring.

Generally speaking an IDNET customer goes there because they value their connection more, willing to pay a bit more for broadband, and want better support. These guys are more likely to be clued up on what makes good broadband, and CS is better, all of this means they are more likely to use the master socket / be wired and therefore probably will be a better metric.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 21:13:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Irregular but the HomeHub is running the line a couple of Meg faster so potentially to be expected

(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:21:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by markyr74:
But I have read, a couple of times, that you can get traffic shaping on Idnet due to the business being priority, and I'm not going to pay £10 a month extra to stop it! But has anyone had experience of traffic or performance degrading on Idnet?

As promised on our website, 'We guarantee no contention on our network, no throttling, no traffic shaping & no port blocking' . We stand by this promise so much so that we have provided access to view our network capacity as shown here: https://www.idnet.net/about/our_network.php

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:37:25
Print Post

This is fantastic to see, shame other providers do not do the same!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:50:16
Print Post

You can guarantee that every network link, switch, router, server, etc is running with spare capacity 100% of the time? If so that is pretty unique in the consumer broadband world. The map you link to is very high level and doesn't show capacity of all components from what I can see.

Can you also confirm that there is no prioritisation going on - all traffic has equal priority on all components of your network?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:25:19
Print Post

I believe at Zen-enabled exchanges you use their backhaul rather than BT Wholesale. I don't see that mentioned.

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:40:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nikos_IDNet:

As promised on our website, 'We guarantee no contention on our network, no throttling, no traffic shaping & no port blocking' . We stand by this promise so much so that we have provided access to view our network capacity as shown here: https://www.idnet.net/about/our_network.php

Nikos
IDNet Support

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what the extra optional £10 charge a month for the higher traffic priority in the evenings is for?
Standard User Spl
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:41:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Re IDNET support, I am on a 20CN exchange (WNGLC), cabinet 1 serving several hundred lines, broadband was slowing to under 3MB and sometimes below 2MB every evening. After speaking to Brian at IDNET he chased up BT Wholesale to see if I could be moved to a less congested VP, BT responded that all VP's were full and that the exchange was congested.
I have contacted BT openreach and have a case handler assigned who has asked BT Wholesale for info on the congestion issue.
The reason for me contacting Openreach is that we have a part built FTTP network in the village but have not seen any visible progress in nine months even though nearby LLU enabled exchanges are having there FTTC and FTTP systems completed.

BT Openreach initially stated that my exchange was not showing as congested, Brian then forwarded BT wholesales response.
I quote from an email from IDNET:

'The wholesaler confirmed during the fault progress they had seen the line is connected to a congested VP and then checked to determine if the line can be moved to a less congested part of the network however found there is currently no capacity to do this. this could be on the network between the exchange and the wholesaler network so may not be visible by Openreach unless they contact the wholesaler to check on the VP status for your line.
Kind regards,
Brian
IDNet’

Without this info, BT Openreach were washing there hands of the issue.

Considering the help I have had so far from IDNET, I would highly recommend them. Response to questions is both quick and properly handled, with no messing about.
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:11:55
Print Post

I believe at Zen-enabled exchanges you use their backhaul rather than BT Wholesale. I don't see that mentioned.

We have connections via BT Wholesale, Openreach, Talk Talk Business, Virgin, Zen, Gigaclear and Vodafone where appropriate.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:20:01
Print Post

All of which can be subject to congestion if you have not contracted for sufficient peak capacity.

(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:50:13
Print Post

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what the extra optional £10 charge a month for the higher traffic priority in the evenings is for?

All broadband services are contended and may be subject to congestion at the cabinet and/or exchange during peak times which can reduce throughput speeds. We offer the option to add traffic priority at an additional £10 per month ex VAT, which will give you preferential weighting of traffic over non prioritised traffic through the cabinet and exchange.

As previously mentioned, there is no congestion through the IDNet network.

Nikos
IDNet Support
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 16:51:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

We can confirm that there is no contention across our network - all devices that we have control over have spare capacity all the time and so we do not need to shape or throttle any traffic.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 18:18:59
Print Post

We can confirm that there is no contention across our network - all devices that we have control over have spare capacity all the time and so we do not need to shape or throttle any traffic.

Nikos
IDNet Support

Maybe not - but you'r desperation is really overpowering!
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 12:35:52
Print Post

That really makes no sense, we have no contention but every broadband service is contended so you can pay more to reduce this.
I think you perhaps need to clarify which side of the network you are referring to when you are talking about this, yours or Openreach's.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Apr-17 12:46:28
Print Post

Or their BT Wholesale shared MSILs or any of their contracted bandwidth with the several other suppliers they use. (Possibly they have dedicated MSILs). It's highly unlikely they contract with each of those for the maximum concurrent usage they may have to supply through each, come the next Olympics or Wimbledon.

Even The Grand Tour or an iOS release.

Uncontended within their internal router network is irrelevant.

The poster, still unverified as an IDNet Rep by the way, seems to be either trying to pull the wool over our eyes, (perhaps unaware that these forums are full of people with considerable knowledge), or is woolly in their understanding of this level of network provision.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Apr-17 13:22:53
Print Post

They are a rep...

This is an old debate, IDNet do not have capacity for all users to make 100% utilisation of their connections at the same nano second is my understanding, but that they monitor usage and make sure their actual capacity on the network they directly control and own always has a large degree of headroom.

The £10 priority is for priority just across the Openreach/BT Wholesale segment, and may or may not make a difference. Experience over the years suggests it can make a difference for mild congestion in the local area but as usage continues to grow your performance can still be impacted.

For a business with servers on the IDNet network this sort of traffic behaviour will be very good though, for consumers making much more random extensive use of the internet at many locations, it is likely that the wider internet contention will be a limiting factor.

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 14:24:23
Print Post

Thank you Saffron for explaining that. I wouldn't want to pay the extra £10 a month, it's approaching Aquiss pricing then. Hmm will have to think it over, but I guess I'm right in the general consensus being either of my choices will do and I probably won't notice any difference between them. My line is currently getting 27mbps, it has got 30 before until the Hub did its usual reboot and it went back down.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:08:19
Print Post

Thanks for the "rep" confirmation Andrew, and I agree with the rest of your post.

I was more worried about the woolliness of the assurances the rep was giving. That they didn't really amount to what they seemed.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:11:12
Print Post

Despite my criticisms of the IDNet rep's posts, I think of the two ISPs you mention IDNet is likely to have the more consistent throughput.

Is it really cheaper than Aquiss?

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:37:23
Print Post

Not sure if it's area dependant but for me that's a no.. For a 40/10 package the lowest IDnet can do is Fibre Lite @ £35.40 and Aquiss is £35.00

That all said IDnet do a 50GB cap so if we ramp it up to the 80/20 package IDnet is £41.40 and Aquiss is £37 (option 3)
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 16:48:05
Print Post

Yes for home use Idnet is cheaper because they include line rental and phone for about 41 a month, aquiss is that Plus line rental and phone.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 18:45:35
Print Post

Yes for home use Idnet is cheaper because they include line rental and phone for about 41 a month, aquiss is that Plus line rental and phone.

Never knew that - in which case totally agree with you and the choice has probably been made.
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 19:30:17
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

It's actually about a 6 pound a month difference, still a difference. I'm still deciding which one to choose.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 19:33:41
Print Post

I think IDNet's Fibre Lite (including line rental, no calls) is £42.60 (include VAT - you have to be careful to look at the prices) and Aquiss cheapest separate broadband and line rental price (cheapest - again no calls) is £46 (prices quoted to include VAT as they should for private customers). The bugbear, if there is one, is IDNet's 50GB cap (downloads only) which I suspect it's easy to hit unless you're a really light user, Aquiss are unlimited. If you buy more capacity from IDNet then the prices aren't much different, but their unlimited Fibre Pro is only £6 more. So really we are talking about a couple of quid either way. Does it break the bank?

IDNet's network is superb in my six year experience (there was just a short term temporary hiccup a couple of years ago when BTw were slow to provide ordered capacity). As the rep said IDNet now have more options, so they've dealt with that problem quite vigorously. Though the alternatives aren't available everywhere, even on bigger exchanges.

The constraint is your local loop. How much of a constraint in practice, only you can tell. Latency and packet loss isn't an issue with IDNet I found, unless it is on your local loop and then it'll be the same with every ISP. That's my dilemma, and why I'm thinking of leaving IDNet, regrettably.

- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sat 01-Apr-17 19:36:09)

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 20:43:36
Print Post

It's £42.60 a month for unlimited usage on Idnet. The 50GB cap option is cheaper. Why would you leave them just because of having a poor line?
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 21:14:34
Print Post

You are starting to sound fishy, so make a decision already!
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 21:27:16
Print Post

What are you on about? I didn't realise asking questions of those who have experience of these providers meant you 'sounded fishy'. Not much of a forum if that's the case.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 23:23:34
Print Post

Yep, forgot the call package on my subscription.

Why would you leave them just because of having a poor line?

Cost/benefit. The benefits of the reliability, low latency, absence of packet loss and speed of IDNet's own network often don't flow through on my line due to the poor state of the local loop. A cheaper service might therefore perform as well. But I'm actually thinking of A&A to see whether their diagnostic skills can help to get a better performance from the local loop, as their caps aren't a problem for me.

- Anais Nin
Standard User Spl
(newbie) Sat 01-Apr-17 23:48:45
Print Post

Thanks to the help from IDNET I recieved another reply from BT Openreach:
'I have received the response regarding the exchange congestion issue at the Glen Ceiriog exchange. As you have advised, the 20cn capacity is exhausted and there are no plans to increase that. The relief project to bring 21cn in is scheduled for enablement in July 2017 with residual migrations of customer circuits to be completed by October2017.

I appreciate this this means the issue wont be resolved until summer this year at the earliest, but hope this does reassure you that the exchange will be improved.

Please can you advise if you are happy for the case to be closed'

BT say they had no idea my exchange was congested until I forwarded IDNET response that they had from BT Wholesale, I wonder how many other exchanges are in the same boat. No can't close the case.....
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sun 02-Apr-17 11:57:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Yep, forgot the call package on my subscription.

Why would you leave them just because of having a poor line?

Cost/benefit. The benefits of the reliability, low latency, absence of packet loss and speed of IDNet's own network often don't flow through on my line due to the poor state of the local loop. A cheaper service might therefore perform as well. But I'm actually thinking of A&A to see whether their diagnostic skills can help to get a better performance from the local loop, as their caps aren't a problem for me.

I see, my line is great, I had really decent ADSL. Unfortunately my line is direct to the exchange, so when they upgraded us to Fibre, they as per the Open Reach norm plonked the Fibre CAB on the pavement right outside the exchange, hence my 33mbps max.
My other concern is price rises, because Sky doesn't mind rising prices mid contract, I'm going to guess Idnet doesn't do that?
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 02-Apr-17 12:15:56
Print Post

Their prices seem to be stable, IIRC AAISP is expensive but they have dropped their prices in the past, They offer basically 1 price for all - which is the way all ISP's should be IMO
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sun 02-Apr-17 15:12:52
Print Post

Hi Markyr74,

Thanks for considering IDNet!

I just wanted to make some clarifications regarding our company and customer service.

We offer technical support via telephone 24/7, sales and account support its from 0800 - 1800 Monday to Friday. You can reach us on free phone 0800 331 7000 and [email protected]

With regards to LLU Import:

If your service is currently on the Openreach network then the Migration from your current ISP over to IDNet is free.

If your service is with an LLU provider, so not on the Openreach network, we would have to import your telephone line back over to the Openreach network to provide you with a service. This import will cost £75 ex VAT if it's from Sky or TalkTalk.

If you are migrating over from Virgin it will cost £125 as a new line installation on the Openreach network would be required.

Kind regards,

Nikos
IDNet Support

Hi Nikos, is the 24/7 telephone technical support UK based and available to home broadband users? And are their any call connection call charges on the standard pay as you use home telephone package?
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Apr-17 05:01:57
Print Post

[re: Spl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spl:
BT say they had no idea my exchange was congested until I forwarded IDNET response that they had from BT Wholesale, I wonder how many other exchanges are in the same boat. No can't close the case.....
I can't see that you have much alternative to waiting for 21CN. The decision appears to have been made to replace 20CN entirely with 21CN. With around six months to go until 20CN is discontinued at your exchange, there seems little prospect of BT Wholesale being persuaded to provide further capacity on an obsolescent system based around old technology (ATM) and hardware. It is surely better that resources are focused instead on the roll out of 21CN (MPLS Ethernet) based products, even though that might mean congestion issues remain until 21CN is available.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(newbie) Mon 03-Apr-17 14:40:02
Print Post

Hi Nikos, is the 24/7 telephone technical support UK based and available to home broadband users? And are their any call connection call charges on the standard pay as you use home telephone package?

Hi Markyr74,

All our support is UK based and available to all our customers, business and residential alike.

Our standard Line Rental only telephone service (with no call package) has a call setup fee of 8p +VAT or 9.6p inc VAT.

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User Spl
(newbie) Mon 03-Apr-17 22:17:40
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In reply to a post by Spl:
I can't see that you have much alternative to waiting for 21CN. The decision appears to have been made to replace 20CN entirely with 21CN. With around six months to go until 20CN is discontinued at your exchange, there seems little prospect of BT Wholesale being persuaded to provide further capacity on an obsolescent system based around old technology (ATM) and hardware. It is surely better that resources are focused instead on the roll out of 21CN (MPLS Ethernet) based products, even though that might mean congestion issues remain until 21CN is available.

Hi, I have started a new thread about this here
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/f/453854...

Edited by Spl (Mon 03-Apr-17 23:17:27)

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Tue 04-Apr-17 18:34:35
Print Post

If I go for a Idnet, what's the best router, modem to get for the highest sync speeds? Is the Bufalo one they provide good enough? I've seen people mention Xyzel?
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Wed 05-Apr-17 19:00:11
Print Post

I've seen people mention Xyzel?
Can't comment on the Buffalo but I've not heard of many people using them. The Zyxels are almost all Broadcom based so should be pretty sound on a Huawei cabinet.

FWIW I tested a Zyxel (Broadcom) against a Draytek (Lantiq based) and there was a marked difference in max attainable speed. The Zyxel was consistently showing 61Mbps whilst the Draytek was around 56Mbps. Both were rock solid and I doubt in practice anyone would notice much difference, but it was there.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Apr-17 20:12:22
Print Post

Did you mean Buffalo anyway, as IDNet provides Billions according to their web site?

Apologies if I've missed anything obvious.
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Wed 05-Apr-17 20:19:09
Print Post

Haha yeah sorry I mean Billions...

So the same question but in regards to Billion.. I have been reading some more too and it seems being on Sky's network, which I presume Now TV is? Is better because it uses Sky's own backhaul and not BTW's. Doesn't make deciding any easier.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Thu 06-Apr-17 19:27:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Did you mean Buffalo anyway, as IDNet provides Billions according to their web site?
Yes I should have picked that up smile
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 10:57:17
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Would the Billion Idnet provide be better then the BT Home Hub 6 (smarthub).

Edited by markyr74 (Fri 07-Apr-17 11:09:47)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Apr-17 11:07:32
Print Post

I might be wrong with this, but I believe the Home Hub is only usable on BT or Plusnet connections, so the billion will be much better as it will work on IDNet.

The wifi on the Billion won't be as good though.
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 11:13:57
Print Post

BTs home hub can be used with any connection on BTs network as you can enter username and passwords into it for the connection. I doubt it'll easily work with Sky though.
I'm not fussed about the wireless as I have a Netgear Orbi system for that.

Edited by markyr74 (Fri 07-Apr-17 12:01:48)

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 11:59:14
Print Post

I have been looking at Plusnet too, it means having 2mbps upload though and no IPv6. Are they worth considering? They'll be better then BT and cheaper then Now TV.

Or is Plusnet just best avoided these days?
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 08-Apr-17 10:29:59
Print Post

Haha yeah sorry I mean Billions...

So the same question but in regards to Billion.. I have been reading some more too and it seems being on Sky's network, which I presume Now TV is? Is better because it uses Sky's own backhaul and not BTW's. Doesn't make deciding any easier.

Someone sent me a way to get my details, I am going to try it on a Billion 8800NL and I will let you know how I get on
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 08-Apr-17 10:30:54
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Apr-17 12:15:50
Print Post

Post removed due to breaking forum rules on foul/inappropriate language.

Poster is welcome to repost their dissatisfaction with a provider, but only if they keep the wording clean and PG

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Sat 08-Apr-17 14:23:31
Print Post

Hmm if I pay the old me rental for the year in advance for Plusnet, I only have to pay £8 a month plus call charges for fibre BB!! We don't use the phone enough to warrant a call package. It's just the 2mbs upload speeds.... but that's one temtpting price and £10 a month less then I pay BT.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 09-Apr-17 04:59:57
Print Post

how are you measuring quality when speedtests are only x6 threaded?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 09-Apr-17 12:02:25
Print Post

Post removed due to breaking forum rules on foul/inappropriate language.

Poster is welcome to repost their dissatisfaction with a provider, but only if they keep the wording clean and PG

Fair comment and apologies.

I just put my cancellation in, No point in this super fibre if the wifi is so rubbish it can't reach upstairs, speeds through Ethernet are about a 1/4 and you are not allowed to use anything else.

The TV will be staying though - I like that part very much smile
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 09-Apr-17 12:04:23
Print Post

Hmm if I pay the old me rental for the year in advance for Plusnet, I only have to pay £8 a month plus call charges for fibre BB!! We don't use the phone enough to warrant a call package. It's just the 2mbs upload speeds.... but that's one tempting price and £10 a month less then I pay BT.

Maybe, but be for warned, when things go wrong it can take up to 5 days to get a reply to the fault you raise, unless you wait on the phone for hours. Plusnet ditched their very impressive call waiting stats online because it was becoming embarrasing for them - they even opened up a new call centre and couldn't cope.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Apr-17 12:24:46
Print Post

Surely you could add a WAP?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:52:21
Print Post

What do you mean? I have also looked at Pulse8, their pricing is the same ish as NowTV but cheaper then Idnet, are Pulse8 any good? My exchange has Talk Talk LLU equipment in it and as I understand Pulse8 resell TT Business? I also looked at John Lewis which resell Plusnet Business broadband, again may be an option.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 20:12:23
Print Post

Just posted this on Kitz in response to a different question, but the response is equally valid here.

As the instigator of the longish Pulse8 thread, I guess that I am in a better position than most to comment on the issues and general health of Pulse8's TTB connections.

When I first joined Pulse8 I suffered relatively low single thread TBB speed test results, but the multithread speeds were always top notch.

It may have taken a couple of months to get there, but once Adam, the owner of Pulse8 was on the case things started to happen.

The bottom line is that whatever was causing the single thread issues has now been resolved. I do see some blips in terms of single thread performance about half the time, but nothing like what I saw before. A further speed test a couple of minutes later often results in both the single thread and multi thread speeds maxing out.

Pulse8 are a TTB reseller pure and simple, so only offer Billing and First Line Support services. What they do, they do very well.

If you have any technical issues, then these get logged with TTB for resolution.

Adam cares about customer satisfaction very deeply. He has to. When he takes out a FTTC contract with TTB, he is taking out a twelve month contract, so he needs you to stay for 12 months if he is not to lose money on you as a customer.

I am still with them because of the work they put into resolving my issue and because I don't see anybody at the same price point who can deliver the same bangs for bucks.

If I do ever migrate from Pulse8, IDNet are on my (very) short list of ISPs that can offer me a simultaneous provide migration path off TTB and I would consider migrating to.

Where Pulse8 are better than IDNet is that they take the risk of not tying you into a 12 month FTTC contract, so if they don't deliver you have the option of migrating away at no cost to you (other than perhaps the cost of the migration depending on who you go with).
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Mon 10-Apr-17 20:19:39
Print Post

Thanks for the reply, very useful. So this single threaded issue has been fixed in general or just for your line? How would the issue affect me, like would it mean streams buffering etc?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 21:08:53
Print Post

What do you mean?
smile
Check who and what it was a reply to wink. A WAP is a Wireless Access Point.
I have also looked at Pulse8, their pricing is the same ish as NowTV but cheaper then Idnet, are Pulse8 any good? My exchange has Talk Talk LLU equipment in it and as I understand Pulse8 resell TT Business? I also looked at John Lewis which resell Plusnet Business broadband, again may be an option.
I only have my line rental with Pulse8, not the broadband. That was because at the time there was a problem migrating an existing FTTC service to them. IIRC that has now been solved, but I'm not sure.

jaydub who has replied is someone I trust to give sensible assessments smile.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Mon 10-Apr-17 21:58:24
Print Post

I know what a WAP is, just didn't know why you posted it, this forum confuses me when you reply to a post but without quotes haha!
I'll be ringing BT tomorrow to cancel my free TV I never used, so I'll look to pull the trigger on a new provider too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 23:54:28
Print Post

If you are reading in Flat Mode every post has its header. In the header it says "re: poster". If that isn't enough, as it may not be obvious which post by that person, you can click that "re: poster" and it takes you to the actual post.

If in Threaded Mode the header tells you the same but you see only one post, and the thread layout is in the panel below it. If there are a few posts stacked vertically below a post, they are all replies to the post immediately above the top one of the stack, which is set to the left of the stack. As you can see from the time stamps on the right those are in reverse order.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:02:44
Print Post

I'll be ringing BT tomorrow to cancel my free TV I never used, so I'll look to pull the trigger on a new provider too.
Don't tell BT that you want to cancel or cease your broadband though! Don't even say you are going to. They are likely to put a "Cease" order on the broadband and/or line and that leaves you in dead shtuck, as you can't order from another ISP until the cease completes.

In fact why cancel the free TV? It's free and will stop as soon as you leave.

The migration procedure is simply order from your preferred new ISP. They handle it all. The old MAC system was scrapped years ago.

The system tells your existing provider, who should send you an email telling you when you will be leaving and if you will have any outstanding payments to make. Similarly the new provider should tell you the date you will be transferred to them. Which may not be the same as the date you selected when ordering.

Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:05:09
Print Post

I wasn't sure if the TV cancels down when I change providers? I've never even inboxed the TV box they send you!
But if your sure it will cancel when I change providers then I won't worry about it.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:33:58
Print Post

Unlikely to impact you in terms of streaming.

I am connected to a cabinet the other side of our garden wall and hence am on a 80:20 connection.

At one point we were getting single thread speeds that were roughly half of the multi thread speeds. If I'm being honest, we weren't impacted by it, however I knew we should have better and spent a lot of time and effort pushing for what TTB ought to have been providing.

I've just run a couple of speed tests off now and both were similar to this one:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

This was the worst of the 4 I ran off this morning, Two with a blip in them and two straight lines like this evening's results.

Are they perfect? No. Are they good value for what they charge? Damn right they are!
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:53:44
Print Post

Very nice. I won't get a perfect line as the max estimated on my line is only 33mbps. The highest I've seen it at is 30mbps, but it now won't budge over 27mbps, and I've tried an OpenReach HG612 on the line for a week too!
So I don't see the point in paying a lot for BB now, if my line performed better then maybe I would. So I'll look more into Pulse8 tomorrow and their pricing, think I'll decide between them and Plusnet. Or maybe John Lewis too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Apr-17 01:14:05
Print Post

Note that Plusnet and John Lewis will only give you an upstream connection of 2Mbps. JL may have slightly better CS than Plusnet itself, for commercial reasons! JL are a big customer with high customer satisfaction in their business. Pulse8 is up to 10Mbps upstream.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Apr-17 08:53:02
Print Post

Yes, Plusnet offer 2MBPS, but it is cheap. John Lewis will actually let me purchase the up to 70mbps package on their website so I can get my full upload speed. Also from what I've read as JL are reselling Plusnet business Fibre then the support staff are Plusnet too.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 11-Apr-17 18:19:17
Print Post

I wasn't sure if the TV cancels down when I change providers? I've never even inboxed the TV box they send you!
But if your sure it will cancel when I change providers then I won't worry about it.

Yes I agree with Bob, Don't say you are cancelling, If you are not bothered about the TV just migrate to the new provider. I was hit with a £31 charge for cancelling the broadband, when I wanted to Migrate, BT cut me off instead.

Just migrate. The TV will either stay on or off
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Apr-17 19:05:30
Print Post

Pulse8 still bucking trends by dropping FTTC prices 3-4 pounds across products. Plus cheaper calls.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 13-Apr-17 19:08:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Apr-17 19:38:22
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I saw the price cut on the broadband, plastered all over my rental notification and name-change email so went to look. I don't see anything about call prices changing though.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 20:31:58
Print Post

Bob, I'll second that. Call charges are still the same as far as I am aware.
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Apr-17 22:39:15
Print Post

Price drop across all FTTC packages - Not calls, they couldn't be any cheaper.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 13-Apr-17 22:40:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Apr-17 23:10:51
Print Post

You said "Plus cheaper calls", strongly implying cheaper than before. That was all I queried smile.

I don't think there is a CP with cheaper calls anyway, once Vat is taken into account on some that appear so at first sight.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Apr-17 00:21:47
Print Post

Cheaper than any other option - Trying to be helpful, best I shut up for today I think. Enough hassle with OR still.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 14-Apr-17 00:23:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 01:04:12
Print Post

Uno, Aquiss and vivaciti are very similar. smile

Uno I think insist on you having their broadband. IIRC Aquiss and vivaciti let anyone have just the phone, like Pulse8.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:11:00
Print Post

Aquiss and Vivaciti may be cheaper to migrate a phone line to. I think Pulse8 charge £49.50 to migrate your phone line.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:15:24
Print Post

I didn't pay anything to migrate mine. That's the bundled FTTC/phone migration charge smile.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:37:02
Print Post

In which case, I was either given the wrong information or it was because I asked in the context of migrating a phone line back from Zen. The zero migration charge is probably only applicable to BT phone lines.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 12:55:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Pulse8 still bucking trends by dropping FTTC prices 3-4 pounds across products. Plus cheaper calls.

AAISP dropped theirs by more than that last year - bad luck on the "bucking trends" theory

It's still £39,90 including line rental for me - so nothing changed at all
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 14:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
It changed some time between 10 February and 16 March. When did you join?

(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Apr-17 15:19:36
Print Post

Says you!
Fibre Price Drop
38Mbps Line Unlimited Use was £38/month now £35.40/month
38Mbps Biz Line Unlimited Use was £44/month now £39.90/month
76Mbps XL Line unlimited Use was £44/month now £41.40/month
76Mbps XL Bix Line unlimited Use was £50/month now £45.90/month

Unlimited and no £15 regrade to claim lower cost!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 14-Apr-17 15:58:45)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 21:19:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
It changed some time between 10 February and 16 March. When did you join?

I haven't joined, I'm just going on the prices given to me right now.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 21:23:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Says you!
Fibre Price Drop
38Mbps Line Unlimited Use was £38/month now £35.40/month
38Mbps Biz Line Unlimited Use was £44/month now £39.90/month
76Mbps XL Line unlimited Use was £44/month now £41.40/month
76Mbps XL Bix Line unlimited Use was £50/month now £45.90/month

Unlimited and no £15 regrade to claim lower cost!

Yes - Says me. We are talking last year when AAISP dropped their packages by £5 for everyone, so as I said..

£39.90 price being offered to me for the XL Line - the Bix (or Biz, I think you meant?) line is in line with Talk Talk and other Business services, which is decent.

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 14-Apr-17 21:23:38)

(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Apr-17 21:26:52
Print Post

The above was a cut and paste direct from Pulse8, so possibly you should ridicule them and their description instead of nitpicking everything I post.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Apr-17 15:07:49
Print Post

Never mind, Decided to edit what I put, CBA with the discussion

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 15-Apr-17 15:32:40)

(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Apr-17 18:50:40
Print Post

Freeola offer a good service at a reasonable price. http://freeola.com/broadband/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to