General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 20:04:13
Print Post

Re: EE or Plusnet

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

AIUI the Vodafone router will not handle a large number of Wifi devices and may not be very good with UPNP.

It is next to impossible to get Vodafone to tell you your connection userid and password which you need to use your own router. - Despite what their sales staff might tell you.

One solution to the Wifi problem is to switch of Wifi on the router and then use separate Wifi devices.

There are some happy customers, so it is not all bad news! Their price is very attractive, so if you can live with the above, they are certainly worth considering. IMHO

Vodafone have their own forums so you can learn more from them.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-May-17 09:31:58
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
i.e. would the service from either suppier be much the same?

Who knows? The EE service was formerly Orange broadband that was "white label" (ie, run for them) by BT wholesale. Plusnet moved to a 'new network' over 2016 which has broken the usage meter, but Plusnet offer a Static IPv4 for a one off payment. EE and BT do not. They may be the same ownership, but they're not the same product.

They will all use BTwholesale tails, and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually merge into one technical operation with different price plans (similar to MVNO's on mobile) - but at the moment it is unclear.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 12:16:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Total merge would only be likely if regulator was going to do something that made that advantageous, as things stand by using slightly different chunks of wholesale platform it helps to avoid harsher regulation and lets BT Consumer chase three slightly different groups of customers.

Looking at the differences in quality based on where people are coming from, we do sometimes see differing results, i.e. regular visitors on thinkbroadband almost always out perform the general public (quality and speeds), i.e. you know about Ethernet (or decent wireless) and have things optimised.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User barker04
(member) Sat 06-May-17 17:00:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew

Wondered if you had better stats on ee, comparing off peak vs peak from a congestion perspective?

Find it strange that if they are using a white label BT fibre product that there are slow downs at peak times! But curious as they are so competitively priced im thinking of moving to them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-May-17 17:09:18
Print Post

In broad terms, EE will be paying BT Wholesale a fee to provide a certain level of peak capacity. In the same as they would for MSIL handover to their backhaul to their internal network if they were running their own in-house routers, DNS servers and peering links to the internet at large like most ISPs.

If their traffic exceeds the capacity they pay BTW to provide, then congestion will ensue. Just as it would if they rented the same handover capacity.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 17:46:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7696-uk-broadban...

The difference in those speeds is an indicator, as is the quality metric, i.e. some people are clearly getting a less optimal service, but when you look at data can see some are, so maybe the classic issue of poor setup paperwork so those who know what they are doing sort it out, the rest may be using more Wi-Fi and filters on extension sockets etc etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-May-17 04:43:57
Print Post

EE have no TM on Fibre & unlimited ADSL BB; only on a few historic "Off-Net" exchanges with usage capped ADSL.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to