General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bathsheba666
(regular) Mon 18-Mar-19 13:24:56
Print Post

Want to move from BT - suggestions?

[link to this post]

I have been with BT FTTC for some years now, but after a long battle with their support it appears I must now settle for about 35-38 download at 600 metres from fibre cabinet. BT (& hub6) thinks the line is rated at 47, and the difference is accounted for by a number of line errors. These errors used to cause frequent multiple recurring disconnects, but a recent exchange line setting of 'super stable' (or something) has cured the frequent dropouts. About one year ago, I was getting 55 down on a 3db/3db line, but things decay it seems.

I am paying a lot for infinity 2 unlimited, but this speed is slower than infinity 1.
We download a lot, so want the unlimited. I considered (and ordered) Virgin vivid 200, but before they installed it I read about their hub3 jitters and lags and general inadequacies, and my son is a gamer so I cancelled and am waiting for them to release (and have tested properly) their next hub4 before i make that move. Openreach want £5500 to install FTTP, so I am not that rich.

I now resent any money being paid to BT after the experience of the last two years (although the 5 years before that were quite good).

Any suggestions who i can move to for a cheaper FTTC service, as fixing the line errors appears to be beyond BTs ambitions?

Thanks

bathsheba666

cix > pipex > nildram > adls24 > o2 pro > Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative Drew_M
(isp) Fri 22-Mar-19 15:51:45
Print Post

Re: Want to move from BT - suggestions?

[re: bathsheba666] [link to this post]

I am, of cause, a bit biased but we have some excellent reviews from gamers and all our packages are unlimited (See here https://www.trunknetworks.com/broadband-ordering/ ). I am happy to look at options for you too. If you want to start at 40:10 and if the line looks like it will stand something better upgrade you or try 80:20 and downgrade if it won't manage better than 40:10.

If you want to have a chat, feel free to give us a call.

Drew

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Fri 22-Mar-19 16:13:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by bathsheba666:
I now resent any money being paid to BT after the experience of the last two years (although the 5 years before that were quite good).

Any suggestions who i can move to for a cheaper FTTC service

It doesn't matter which FTTC service you move to, most (or in some cases all) of the money you pay is going to be going to BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nougat
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-19 16:34:45
Print Post

Try leaving them and sign up with NowTv Broadband go monthly. use Topcashback to cover the connection cost then two months later sign back up with BT(preferably in a different name, wife son etc) again via Topcashback geting £120 from them and the giftcard BT dole out to new customers and a Galaxy Tab A 10.1

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bt-superfast-fibre-...

Usually they won't change your line I have found when you change back to BT you get a better line as they do a different check on new lines

Edited by nougat (Fri 22-Mar-19 16:36:48)

Standard User strzelecki
(regular) Fri 22-Mar-19 16:52:15
Print Post

[re: Drew_M] [link to this post]

See rules smile
ISP Representative Drew_M
(isp) Fri 22-Mar-19 16:55:34
Print Post

[re: strzelecki] [link to this post]

<Hangs head in shame>
Oops, they tightened up when I wasn't looking
</Hangs head in shame>

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Mar-19 18:01:49
Print Post

[re: nougat] [link to this post]

You normally need to stay away for a provider for a LOT longer than 2 months to be considered a new customer and get the deals.

You will also find the free tech gift offer has now expired too

As for the tale of getting a better line when you go back to BT, an interesting theory but only that, if BT was to be doing that it would be a practice that would see them being fined by Ofcom for non equivalent practices.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Mar-19 18:21:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You normally need to stay away for a provider for a LOT longer than 2 months to be considered a new customer and get the deals.

Is that something you would find out immediately, if you tried to place and order?

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Mar-19 00:22:29
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Unsure - you might get the price but the gifts and rewards might be missing

Usually expect you to have been away from an ISP for 12 months to count as new customer, also playing the extreme flipping is also likely to lead to things like cash back not tracking too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Mar-19 09:37:09
Print Post

[re: Drew_M] [link to this post]

Director should know difference between cause and course.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to