General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 22-Jul-19 17:46:43
Print Post

Re: Zen, Plusnet or TalkTalk (mainly for working from home)

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

I've not had good results trying to load balance to 4G as the latency climbs too high so the router can't tell the difference between the connection going down or just high latency.

Also the latency difference between VDSL and 4G makes balancing more tricky.

It works fine on a good day if the latency is good, but is awful on a bad day.

As for if Zen are better, I'd say probably, but it depends. I currently have Zen and Plusnet lines and they perform comparably. The problem I'd have with TalkTalk, is their residential service AFAIK doesn't support a static IP, their business broadband I believe is much better.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 22-Jul-19 17:53:57
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
My father just got a cash back deal from plusnet we had to chase it up for 2 and half months before they gave it to us lol

That's unfortunate. I went though TopCashBack and had zero problems.

Its their "bonus" offers that tend to fail with no way to chase them up, and Very who often claim I used some other referer when I clearly did not.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 22-Jul-19 18:02:06
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Have to work at home myself sometimes and Zen has been the best ISP I have used, ever, when I've had an issue it's been corrected promptly with no fuss.

If you ever have problems, AAISP are beyond a doubt highly regarded as the best.

Zen are great if you don't have problems, but they don't have the same pull with Openreach if things do go wrong.

NOTE: I've never personally used AAISP as its too expensive for my usage pattern, but if I absolutely needed the best support, its where I'd go.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User losvre
(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-19 23:03:50
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
In reply to a post by techguy:
Have to work at home myself sometimes and Zen has been the best ISP I have used, ever, when I've had an issue it's been corrected promptly with no fuss.

If you ever have problems, AAISP are beyond a doubt highly regarded as the best.

Zen are great if you don't have problems, but they don't have the same pull with Openreach if things do go wrong.

NOTE: I've never personally used AAISP as its too expensive for my usage pattern, but if I absolutely needed the best support, its where I'd go.
Standard User Bill100
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-19 20:37:30
Print Post

I would agree with that, in fact they positively go out of their way to avoid sending out an engineer. Plenty of NOOB troubleshooting steps, reboot router, wait for several days etc. - when the problem is clearly outside the premises. At least that's my experience.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-19 22:30:08
Print Post

[re: losvre] [link to this post]

I was in no way suggesting Zen is bad (I'd rate them as the best affordable ISP), but AAISP are far above average - but you pay accordingly for that.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Aug-19 10:39:54
Print Post

In theory that shouldn't happen.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Aug-19 11:35:28
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
In theory that shouldn't happen.
It's not pull that matters. It's push, which is a very different thing. It's the CP's willingness to push, push and push again.

Time after time over the last two or three years we've seen retail Zen customers getting nowhere when Openreach or BT Wholesale are being unreasonable and stubborn. Zen give up. AAISP don't, or at least they try harder for longer and usually get the desired result.

Zen's business customers I have the feeling are the ones getting the heavy duty support. Not the retail ones. From what I see, Plusnet customers get better help than them through their Community forums when they have a difficult problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Aug-19 12:14:47)

Standard User CHW_BA12
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-19 14:29:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've been using Zen for over 15 years for both business and domestic.
At home, I've migrated with Zen from dial-up to ADSL, FTTC and FTTP through OR infrastructure with no problems at all. And the most recent upgrade to FTTP wasn't that easy to engineer
I've got no hesitation about recommending them..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Aug-19 15:11:36
Print Post

[re: CHW_BA12] [link to this post]

That's not necessarily relevant, particularly if your FTTP is business and you've had no trouble with your home service. Also I did point out the doubt is relatively recent.

I've been on these forums for over thirteen years and was far more active in the past. Zen was always high on my list of recommendations, but was too expensive for most people. They have now moved their domestic pricing considerably downmarket and I think it is CS for that which has taken the hit.

The broadband service itself is not in question - hardly any ISP's is these days. It's the Customer Service and the effort they are prepared to put in over difficult issues on consumer level connections that I believe is questionable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Aug-19 15:13:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to