General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 10-Sep-19 21:28:05
Print Post

Which cheap FTTP ISP?

[link to this post]

A relative's rural house has been FTTP enabled. They currently get a very slow ADSL which is why, I guess.
They want a new ISP and it obviously makes sense to switch to an FTTP provider. They probably don't need much more than 40Mbit/s if reducing speed is a way to get it cheaper.

Any provider recommendations?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Sep-19 09:08:08
Print Post

Re: Which cheap FTTP ISP?

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

Ordered by default by decreasing speed, so for cheap simply click the order change on the monthly price column

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Sep-19 10:42:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On TBB, BT 40/10 FTTP is shown as £26.99/m, however I'm seeing £29.99 on BT's website:

https://postimg.cc/RNh1MbVY

Also the pricing shown for Spectrum Internet's FTTP packages is slightly misleading on TBB. They charge considerably more for those in 'off-net' areas ie where they have to use BT Wholesale tails which applies to the majority of those capable of getting Openreach FTTP.. Yet their 'on-net' pricing is shown on TBB under the tags 'BT Wholesale & FTTP' which is clearly wrong. Their off-net pricing is only available over the phone.

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 11-Sep-19 10:45:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Sep-19 10:50:10
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

BT links are correct i.e. https://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=3041&id=106312... lets you see the £26.99 essential service. You need to follow the links given to get access to prices shown, i.e. different ways of going to bt.com will get you different offers.

On Spectrum now if you can fit that sort of wording into a simple table then congratulations. The easy solution is to delist the complicated ones.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Sep-19 10:57:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT links are correct i.e. https://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=3041&id=106312... lets you see the £26.99 essential service. You need to follow the links given to get access to prices shown, i.e. different ways of going to bt.com will get you different offers.

Fair do's, wasn't aware it was a referral price through TBB.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
On Spectrum now if you can fit that sort of wording into a simple table then congratulations. The easy solution is to delist the complicated ones.

The simplest solution is to remove the 'BT Wholesale' tag and make it clear that those prices are 'on-net' only which apply to selected exchange areas in SW England/S Wales. Alternatively, you could replace BTW with LLU for Spectrum's prices.

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 11-Sep-19 11:02:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Sep-19 11:06:40
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Tell me which exchanges are Spectrum on-net and it could happen

BUT

As they sell in both on-net and off-net now it would mean doubling packages listed and also teaching the API all about the spectrum on-net stuff and then coding the main site to understand it.

Have gone through packages quickly and added a caution that pricing is on-net and check with Spectrum for price in your area.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 11-Sep-19 18:00:52
Print Post

So that's why I couldn't find Spectrum prices anywhere near those listed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Sep-19 18:39:24
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

That and I've updated the listing today, a check was on todo list so got it done. Trunk Networks is due on Thursday

Print Thread

Jump to