General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(experienced) Fri 08-Nov-19 08:34:00
Print Post

Re: Plusnet vs Voda vs Sky?

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:
Was your original question rhetorical?
No, if your current telephone line service is visible on the front of your house then getting FTTP will be no worse in my opinion as they will replace the existing drop wire (if your feed overhead) with a fibre drop wire that also includes a copper feed.
Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sat 04-Jan-20 08:36:02
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Ive been with all three plus Origin Broadband & im currently with Vodafone Superfast 2 on a deal of £23 per month unlimited, matching what i paid with Origin where i was on 40mb. Im not certain but i think they all use the BT Openreach backhaul network? So if your getting 73mb currently then you should expect around the same with another ISP on a similar FTTC package since your connected to the same cabinet. Unless of course its affected by congestion due to oversubscription or some other fault.

The main differences comes down to pricing (Plusnet & Sky often change the price) & customer service should you have any issues. Both Origin Broadband & Vodafone are on the bargain basement end. They can receive a bad reputation as far as reviews go but bear in mind most people only kick up a fuss when not happy. Personally ive had few if next to no issues although i expect if i do, customer service wont be as good as those niche small ISPs that you pay £50 or more a month for, but even they are at the mercy of BT Openreach to fix it unless its a billing issue

BTW Sky lockdown their router & wont provide you with your login details. You have to use wireshark to extract the information & find an appropriate vdsl router that will work. I used a DD-WRT firmware on my old Asus VDSL router. Vodafone use to lock down there router but will now provide you with the login details to use your own, however if you have a line fault then you will need to reconnect the Vodafone router for diagnosis.

Edited by Natty (Sat 04-Jan-20 09:01:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jan-20 09:50:58
Print Post

[re: Natty] [link to this post]

They all use Openreach to reach the handover exchange, but at that exchange Vodafone and Sky will pick up the data onto their own network and Plusnet onto the BT Wholesale network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to