General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FTTCIsNotFibre
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-19 11:38:43
Print Post

Plusnet vs Voda vs Sky?

[link to this post]

I'm looking for some advice over which of these ISPs is better? I have chosen these specific ISP's as they are either around the same price or cheaper than my current package. But having used both Vodafone and Plusnet for mobile and having terrible customer support (mostly billing problems) and previously having Sky fibre which had terrible Wi-Fi speeds, I'm trying to determine if anything has changed.

I noticed that Vodafone offer average speeds of 63Mb but they guarantee me a minimum speed of 55Mb. Plusnet have an average speed of 66Mb but only guarantee me 45Mb and Sky can't even find my phone number to even give me an estimate. I currently get about 73Mb from TalkTalk but after the shocking customer service I received recently I am looking to ditch them. It needs to be truly unlimited so none of that traffic management rubbish, I believe Sky and Plusnet are but I'm not so sure about Vodafone.

Does anyone have any experience using these for broadband? Obviously a big plus for Plusnet is the fixed price during the contract at £26.99 BUT they were updating my credit report for 2 years after I left them saying every month there was a "Late Payment" despite the fact that I hadn't even gotten an account with them. It took them 8 months to get all these cleared from my credit report.

Sky is £27 the same as what I pay now but I've heard they are notorious for price rises mid contract. I also found that last time I used them the WiFi signal was appalling in the same room, never mind different rooms

Vodafone is the cheapest at £23 BUT I've had to pay £400 to a debt collector before after Vodafone failed to update BOTH my numbers with my new address (I told them I had moved but they only updated the one number despite both being on the same account!)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:06:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet vs Voda vs Sky?

[re: FTTCIsNotFibre] [link to this post]

I have had both Vodafone and Plusnet FTTC. In my case there was little difference in the performance (download speed). Vodafone did allow you to quit in the first month without penalty, you would need to check if this is still the case. Vodafone now have a new router, I would make sure that you get one of these. The previous router was not good at maintaining a good DSL connection or supporting many wifi devices. I have no practical experience of Sky.

Michael Chare
Standard User choppersrock
(regular) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:40:33
Print Post

Been with sky for years but use my own solution rather than sky routers so dont have any issues. Trying to get through to support has been hopeless for some time but my connection is stable. I like being able to use ipv4 and ipv6 which sky support

Sky Fibre Pro - Billion 880nl V1 (bridge mode) + Opnsense with ipv6 - ECI cab, G.INP disabled April 2016

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:45:56
Print Post

Five years with Plusnet, ADSL2 then fibre for the past 18 months. The BB/phone service has been excellent, not a minute's downtime, speeds fine for what we want, excellent value for money ... BUT ... PN accounts are a disaster as you say. Every transaction, from switching to PN from BT and every renewal, has incurred problems of some sort which as you say take ages to fix although mine have been sorted eventually.

I'm sure I'm one of thousands who wish PN could sort themselves out. Customer service has been fine once you get through to them and they, too, would prefer to be helping people with tech queries rather then struggling with account errors.
Standard User nettech
(learned) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:49:31
Print Post

My first question would be why are you limiting your choices to those 3 (especially when you've had previous issues with 2 of them). I have been with Sky and Plusnet. Out of the 3 I would go with Sky as I had no issues with them. Plusnet I would avoid like the plague as I had major billing issues, dreadful response times to a ticket and I've heard of people having long wait times in a queue for phone or chat. Like all the big providers, none of them do well in customer service ratings on here or ISPreview. My advice would be to not only shop based on price. Have you considered medium-sized providers such as Zen who have lowered their prices recently? I am currently with IDNet who have provided good support but I suspect you will say they are too expensive. Lastly, don't make your final decision based on opinions from a couple of people on a forum, check the reviews on here, ISPreview and Trustpilot.

Cheers
Steve
argonet -> BT -> Pipex -> freedom2surf -> ADSL24 -> O2 -> Sky
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Mon 30-Sep-19 22:49:00
Print Post

[re: nettech] [link to this post]

I would avoid Vodafone at the moment. They appear to be in meltdown, unable to cope with their existing users let alone all the ones they are luring in with voucher offers only to have their orders messed up...

Sky I think is fine but mostly for people with combined tv packages who get a good bundled price.

BT/Plus.net/EE are all ok so long as they work though the support if you have a problem is not great if you can't work the problem out yourself. But on the other hand whose is?

Plus.net if you get a signup reward and save £30 by prepaying your line rental is often cheaper than vodafone even when they are on offer...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Oct-19 03:00:14
Print Post

Why are you not looking into talktalk, bt etc? They have the best routers on the market from a WiFi range perspective.

I have Sky now, the range is considerably worse than BT and TalkTalks latest hubs. I got WiFi boosters, think I pay £2.50 a month for a wifi guarantee. They basically send an engineer and drop boosters all over the home as required.

Speeds are fine now (on a booster through a thick concrete wall holding up 3 levels above):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8636696082

TalkTalk got an independent firm to do their testing, the report gives you a good comparison of all major ISP devices.
https://assets.ctfassets.net/0zd818fqktdq/1vwdZaOR4s...
Standard User velocitysurfer1
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-19 22:49:59
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm currently with Vodafone - no major issues in the last 12 months (I also have 2 mobile devices with them) Used their webchat this evening to report slow download speeds. They could see a line fault and booked an (open reach) engineer to fix within 72 hours.

I've previoulsy been with PlusNet, BT and Sky ( recent to years ago). Never had major issues with any of them - speed, billing or customer service.

Many years ago I was with Talk Talk and prior to that, Freedom2Surf!

They all use the local BT/OpenReach infrastructure, so essentially your trading cheap price v percieved customer service.

Some people who no problems, others have lots of problems
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Oct-19 09:43:52
Print Post

[re: velocitysurfer1] [link to this post]

*so essentially your trading cheap price v percieved customer service.*

There is something to be said for quality support services from your ISP, however I wonder if you are not also overlooking a possible constraint on backhaul provision? This is an area that budget ISP's have often been known to skimp on before now.

Also, AIUI not all backhaul is Openreach so some of the infrastucture used by an ISP may not be Openreach owned and even if it is, it may not be of sufficient (purchased) capacity for the loading that the ISP subjects it to in relation to the number of users it is connecting.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....

Edited by warweezil (Tue 22-Oct-19 09:52:09)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 22-Oct-19 11:30:26
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

For me PlusNet have the advantage of offering a static IP address for the entirely reasonable one off price of £5. All other ISP's offering static IP's are much more expensive.
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-19 14:17:15
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Sky I think is fine but mostly for people with combined tv packages who get a good bundled price.

I'm with Sky atm (just ADSL, no TV, no phone), and have been since they inherited me when they bought O2. Never had any technical problems to speak of, and the one time I needed to talk to customer services they were fine.

Once I've got a handle on what FTTC/FTTP options are available to me, providers and prices etc, I'll approach them as an existing customer looking to upgrade (G.fast is supposed to be available now or very soon) and see what deal they can offer me.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 05-Nov-19 14:32:01
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:
Once I've got a handle on what FTTC/FTTP options are available to me, providers and prices etc
Have you checked the 'Availability Checker' and 'Find a Broadband Package' via the Thinkbroadband website?
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-19 15:18:29
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Yes, but not yet decided how much I'm prepared to pay.

And as I will not have the front of my house looking like a 3rd-world city, if I go for FTTP then there will be the mandatory requirement of cable concealment to consider, which may affect who I could potentially use.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 15:21:06
Print Post

Based on your satellite TV hiding cable post then NONE of the FTTP options will work, the only that would work would be one where you pay for a custom install and are billed per hour of work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-19 15:23:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well if that be the case, or if the costs are too high, then I'll not have FTTP.

It really is that simple.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 05-Nov-19 17:10:29
Print Post

Well if that be the case, or if the costs are too high, then I'll not have FTTP.

It really is that simple.
Is the cable for your current telephone service concealed?

Edited by dect (Tue 05-Nov-19 17:10:54)

Standard User gary333
(member) Tue 05-Nov-19 19:45:55
Print Post

On my house I got Virgin to route the cable diagnally across my front lawn (undeground obvs smile ) so it could pop up out of the ground down the side of the house that isn't used for accecss and hidden behind a fence. Thus when looking from the front of the house no ugly brown box on show. Luckily for me this side of the house was where the living room was.

VM contractor said they don't normally even think about location and just stick it in line with the tee. However, after seeing mine said he is going to start asking customers if they want it to go a similar route for other people with similar house setups as to quote "looks loads better".
(learned) Wed 06-Nov-19 12:04:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:

Is that anything I can do SFA about? wink
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:43:35
Print Post

It that a yes or no?
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-19 17:01:22
Print Post

It that a yes or no?

Was your original question rhetorical?

Edited by Scientistnsaint (Thu 07-Nov-19 17:05:28)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Fri 08-Nov-19 08:34:00
Print Post

Was your original question rhetorical?
No, if your current telephone line service is visible on the front of your house then getting FTTP will be no worse in my opinion as they will replace the existing drop wire (if your feed overhead) with a fibre drop wire that also includes a copper feed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to