General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Tue 05-Nov-19 12:31:58
Print Post

FTTP - Cheapest still seems to be BT?

[link to this post]

We have lived in our new build house for 3 years now and have Openreach FTTP. We are will BT as the ISP and have been since day 1. When Iíve looked at this previously, BT were by far the cheapest provider as we are not ďon-netĒ for any other provider, so I assume this means Openreach Wholesale prices come into play.

We have the 330/50 service currently but I would love a more symmetrical service.

I checked out the price finder on this website and it lists a few other providers, but not BT. One of the other providers is Vodafone however when I try to confirm the coverage on their site it errors. I thought that Vodafone only offered their service in CityFibre areas, which we are not.

Does anyone know of an ISP that can provide service on the Openreach network that is either cheaper than BT or symmetrical?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:10:16
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Cheapest still seems to be BT?

[re: puntoboy] [link to this post]

If you have Openreach FTTP we should have listed the BT packages, and if its JUST Openreach FTTP and no copper services we should not be listing Vodafone. So curious to check things, email or private message the postcode concerned.

Openreach FTTP has no symmetric products.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:12:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you have Openreach FTTP we should have listed the BT packages, and if its JUST Openreach FTTP and no copper services we should not be listing Vodafone. So curious to check things, email or private message the postcode concerned.

Openreach FTTP has no symmetric products.

Yep no copper services. All the of ISPs it came back with were FTTP providers (e.g. Vodafone Gigafast).

I am aware BT donít offer symmetrical services smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:33:11
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages

If I plug in the postcode you have supplied then I see what I expect i.e. lots of Openreach FTTP based services at the top. No sign of Vodafone Gigafast

There is a mistake in that ADSL2+ services are offered which is down to when we added the FTTP for this postcode, and that will fix tonight as have updated the premises in that area to FTTP only i.e. not even ADSL2+

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:43:16
Print Post

This is what I see.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agi_X0NAJ9WAh-QZO8LlDOpRUUKVPg
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-19 14:04:56
Print Post

Are you using your postcode when you search. I think it very unlikely that all of those services would be available at the same postcode (and it appears MrS has already done a search for your postcode and is not getting the same results).

EDIT : If I type in my postcode and hit enter I get the same list as you. If I type the postcode and click on the search button then I get the correct list

EDIT2 : Actually it wasn't even that. The first time I search I get Virgin, UFO, etc. The second time I search I get the relevant options.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 05-Nov-19 14:16:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 15:17:49
Print Post

BUG

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If you click the SEARCH button it works

BUT if on first page load you press ENTER on the keyboard it does not, oddly subsequent times it does work.

Have John looking into it and working on a solution.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-19 17:10:03
Print Post

Re: BUG

Even hitting the search button it doesn't work first time for me. Tested on Windows 10 with IE11, Edge and Chrome.
Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:18:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

OK so glad it wasnít just me. I can see a filtered list now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agi_X0NAJ9WAh-gKLh7HYd-9ss_mmw

It does still seem that out of the few providers we have available to us, BT are the cheapest for a 330/50 package. frown 1Gbps is available according to Openreach but no one seems to offer a package for that either.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-19 18:39:14
Print Post

Openreach Gigabit pricing announced, but expecting retail in December/January

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to