General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Nov-19 12:32:59
Print Post

Should I stay with plusnet?

[link to this post]

Plusnet will give me a 24 month contract for £28 a month, which is around or will be around £8 cheaper than the normal cost. i have had a look around and to be honest I am not sure if I will save any or much more money if I go elsewhere.
The other problem is that my phone line are still iffy, in that I can only get my broadband working with the old BTOR modem, if I changed providers i am not sure if their router would work or allow a Wan connection, I know Sky and Vodofone are that happy about people using other routers.

so not sure if to stay or go.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-19 13:29:25
Print Post

Re: Should I stay with plusnet?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

A 24 month contract would allow you to have two complete years of Line Rental Saver.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Nov-19 17:20:53
Print Post

Will Plusnet not arrange to get the fault fixed ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bah_Humbug
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-19 18:49:28
Print Post

Depending on your 4G signal, it's a no brainer. Get yourself an AYCE card from Three for £20 and a decent router. What's not to like? I changed a while back with no regrets. You can keep your existing phone number with someone like Sipgate.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-19 23:59:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
A 24 month contract would allow you to have two complete years of Line Rental Saver.

Nope! PN say no to 24 months LRS, only 12 months as a time!
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-19 00:19:55
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Nope! PN say no to 24 months LRS, only 12 months as a time!
Presumably you can have one year LRS followed by another year of LRS so you have LRS all the time. Many Plusnet broadband contracts are 18 months which is awkward as they don't sell 18 month LRS.

Michael Chare
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 27-Nov-19 08:29:37
Print Post

Also I have seen on the forum that the second year of LRS should be same price as the first as it is a fixed price contract. I suspect that could cause the customer service staff some problems with the ongoing billing system debacle.smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-19 08:54:35
Print Post

sorry i meant 18 month, not 24, i have no idea why I had 24 stuck in my head.

i did not think they was still line saver,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-19 08:58:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Will Plusnet not arrange to get the fault fixed ?

i have had BTOR here loads of times,, even their own equipment will not sync and even when they go to the cabinet they can not get a sync, I think they gave up in the end because I was getting broadband, but only with the Huawei Modem. Plusnet did send me a email a month ago asking if everything was sorted, but I forgot to reply.

It is a strange fault and I think the only reason my modem connects is because the insides are the same make as the cabinet.
Seems strange why it is only me around here that has the problem.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ajb1946
(newbie) Wed 27-Nov-19 09:02:32
Print Post

I renewed my contract with PN for 24 months and paid for the first year's line rental. I was told that I would receive a reminder when the line rental renewal was due December 2020, so it would appear if you sign on for two years you do get two years line rental saver.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Nov-19 09:08:52
Print Post

[re: ajb1946] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajb1946:
I renewed my contract with PN for 24 months and paid for the first year's line rental. I was told that I would receive a reminder when the line rental renewal was due December 2020, so it would appear if you sign on for two years you do get two years line rental saver.

No, they don't. I try that many times before they say no. Only 12 months LRS for 12 months broadband deal or 18 months broadband deal. They won't do it for 24 months broadband deal (very rare)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-19 09:09:59
Print Post

[re: Bah_Humbug] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bah_Humbug:
Depending on your 4G signal, it's a no brainer. Get yourself an AYCE card from Three for £20 and a decent router. What's not to like? I changed a while back with no regrets. You can keep your existing phone number with someone like Sipgate.

I was thinking of 4G to be honest, but the last time I use three around here on a mobile phone it was not that great, granted that was a few years back. i already use Sipgate, I used wireless broadband a few years back before FTTC came here and I kept sipgate working, not sure why as I do not use it and the only person who phone it is my work and my brother.

The only problem with 3G is the placement of the router to get a decent signal.

I think the plusnet offer will stay until after Christmas, so I will look into 4G, it is cheaper as well.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Wed 27-Nov-19 11:07:54
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Slight confusion here: PN won't give two years' LR but they will offer two consecutive 12-months. For some reason you can't renew LR online, instead they charged my credit card over the phone. I'm on my second two-year fibre/phone deal and the rep suggested I should take the double LR then I could easily change ISP when my PN contract expires. They did send me a reminder with renewal offer which I accepted, everything worked fine apart from PN's inevitable billing hiccup on renewal. The service itself is excellent.
Standard User M100
(regular) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:18:07
Print Post

Well this is the calibre of the 'service' from plusnet

Speedtest and router stats from just a few minutes ago

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

https://i.ibb.co/MyTXLdj/plusnet-20191127.jpg

I could phone up but past experience shows they are truly beyond useless

Edited by M100 (Wed 27-Nov-19 22:19:31)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:52:27
Print Post

[re: M100] [link to this post]

So what speed do Plusnet say that your connection should run at? You could ask them if you don't know.

If your speed is less than that see the Ofcom ruling.

Michael Chare
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-19 09:10:31
Print Post

On a sync of 10 meg the performance of that line is dire. Clearly something is wrong somewhere.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-19 09:38:04
Print Post

[re: M100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by M100:
Well this is the calibre of the 'service' from plusnet

Speedtest and router stats from just a few minutes ago

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

https://i.ibb.co/MyTXLdj/plusnet-20191127.jpg

I could phone up but past experience shows they are truly beyond useless

I found plusnet ok when I had problems, they done all sort of things to try and get it sorted even sent me a zyxel router that they hope would solve the problem, it did for a while and then it stopped. The problem is BTOR, they really are not bothered since i can still connect using a old BTOR modem and to them that is fine.

It makes me wonder that if they can not get a sync either at the cabinet or in my house using their own equipment, then surly something must be wrong.
All this happened when my phone line went down. when they fixed it my broadband did not come back up, so I thought maybe my old ECI modem had gone belly up, so I borrowed my neighbours Huawei modem and that worked. I then put my ECI modem on my next door neighbours line and that worked. So i got a second hand Huawei modem off ebay.
It was a few weeks after that Plusnet sent BTOR to try to sort out the problem and then a couple of weeks after that they sent me the Zyxel router, which worked fine for a while.

Speedwise i do better than my next door neighbour, they get 24Mb/s, i get around 33-35M/s.

i never got a good speed with ADSL, but as other have said, you should get more than you are getting,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to