General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-20 12:31:23
Print Post

Re: Cable vs FFTC?

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

"Walking along the pavement checkout how many people have got Virgin media connections."

Nearly all out neighbours have VM connections, in the footpath, including us but very few have VM any more as an ISP, so that idea was good but won't work.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Jan-20 17:48:22
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
I jumped from VM to EE two years ago. VM charged the earth for a 200 Mbps download connection which gave me all of 7 Mbps upload speed.
EE give me 59 Mbps download but I get 17Mbps upload. A big improvement on what VM could offer at the time.
All depends on what FTTC connection you have of course.

Yes, I started in 2012 with BT, and moved in 2014 to Plusnet. Originally download was 60 Mbps, and upload 10 Mbps. But when I left Plusnet in Dec 2019, my download as 45 Mbps, and upload 4 Mbps. This was because many other people in the area had switched from slow ADSL or expensive VM services to bundles from Sky, TalkTalk and EE with TV packages. I was paying Plusnet £39 a month for Phone Line & Broadband.

I'm now with VM for £40/month for 12 months (normally £47) and getting 200 / 20 in speed tests on this site. So dramatic increase in upload.

Until either true fibre (FTTP) or Openreach roll out vectoring, my FTTC upload is going to be slow in this road.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Jan-20 17:49:34
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Nearly all out neighbours have VM connections, in the footpath, including us but very few have VM any more as an ISP, so that idea was good but won't work.

Almost every flat here in the blocks has the VM cable going in, as originally the landlord prevented satellite. Now most have satellite dishes as well, perhaps with Sky discount bundle deals for broadband and TV !

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jan-20 17:56:54
Print Post

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

Go with Virgin. Get away from BTOR network and their idea of broadband

Connection Speed 118483 kbps 12955 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(44.7 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 3.1 dB
Sky Q Hub Sky G.fast 360 meters
My Broadband Ping
Standard User machasm
(regular) Sat 11-Jan-20 19:23:10
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Switched to VM from BT FTTC over 12 months ago and run a pfsense router. I can confirm that the VM Hub can be switched to "Modem" mode and just passes the VM IP to the pfsense box.
The reason for the switch was for faster d/l (went from 40Mbps to 350) as well as faster uploads.
I do agree that the pricing is a little high though.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Wed 18-Mar-20 12:42:17
Print Post

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

Well, I went with Virgin, once I was able to complete the order process. In fairness to them, I had issues with ordering anything over the internet at the time, whether this was an issue with Chrome on phone, or seasonal, I dont know.

Engineer called ahead to see if it was ok to arrive early - yes,of course! - and had the gubbins installed inside of 30mins. Happy to put box into modem mode once tested and confirmed by me in router mode. Then waited whilst I configured f/w for same, and tested.

Since then, woooosh. hitting 45MB/sec downloads at times, although the average is around 30MB/sec. I'm happy.

A slight issue this morning, when the service dropped. Virgin remote diags showed no issue, so arranged for engineer visit 12-4. 20 mins later I receive a text that its a network issue, and before i know t, service is back.

No problems yet with billing.

I'm a happy bunny!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to