General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Wed 04-Mar-20 12:54:29
Print Post

Chance to switch but to who?

[link to this post]

So Sky in their wisdom are hiking prices again. So it gives me an out from Sky Fibre, its been ok, I see slowdowns and my ping isn't the greatest compared to other suppliers I have had. Then there is the whole MER issue that is a pain in the neck.

Any thoughts on alternative ISP? Don't want to go above £35 per month and need unlimited downloads and an 80/20 product.

Cheers!

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 63.5/18.8Mbps - My Broadband Ping
Standard User flilot
(regular) Fri 06-Mar-20 12:08:34
Print Post

Re: Chance to switch but to who?

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
80/20 unlimited downloads
£28.99/month if you pay your line rental to BT etc
£34.99/month if you move your phone line to Zen

Carl
(committed) Thu 12-Mar-20 20:59:43
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
80/20 unlimited downloads
£28.99/month if you pay your line rental to BT etc
£34.99/month if you move your phone line to Zen

Thanks, signed with Zen this evening for Fibre 2!

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 63.5/18.8Mbps - My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Mar-20 21:29:45
Print Post

Interested how it goes. Let us know.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Wed 22-Apr-20 15:06:00
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Interested how it goes. Let us know.

Finally switched today after two aborted attempts by OpenReach.

So far speed is around the same but I guess this will adjust over time. Ping has reduced by nearly 10ms as far as I can tell.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 22-Apr-20 16:44:35
Print Post

Just sig and profile to update …. wink smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Wed 22-Apr-20 18:26:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just sig and profile to update …. wink smile

Thanks for the reminder, now updated tongue

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max > ZeN Fibre 2 - ??ms Ping, Sync ~ ??.?/??.?Mbps - My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 22-Apr-20 18:52:28
Print Post

Nice base latency drop at 13:35 tongue smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Sat 25-Apr-20 14:58:07
Print Post

Nice base latency drop at 13:35 tongue smile.

It got even better today with a further drop in ping and an increase in connection speed by 8Mbits smile

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max > ZeN Fibre 2 - ??ms Ping, Sync ~ ??.?/??.?Mbps - My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Apr-20 17:33:06
Print Post

That would be G.INP kicking in.

Standard User Skilty
(committed) Mon 27-Apr-20 09:49:50
Print Post

That would be G.INP kicking in.

No G.INP for me yet, on an ECI cabinet and the new trial hasn't rolled out to our cab yet.

Here are the line stats though:

Text
*                                       Receive Direction       Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput   kbit/s          80000                   20000Min. DSLAM throughput   kbit/s          128                     128
Attainable throughput   kbit/s          66076                   21879Current throughput      kbit/s          64675                   20000
Seamless rate adaptation                off                     off                        
Latency                                 fast                    fastImpulse Noise Protection (INP)          0                       0
G.INP                                   off                     off                        
Signal-to-noise ratio   dB              6                       6Bitswap                                 on                      on
Line attenuation        dB              14                      14approximate line length m               307     
                        Profile                                 17a             
G.Vector                                off                     off                        
Carrier record                          A43                     A43

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max > ZeN Fibre 2 - 11ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.2Mbps - My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Apr-20 00:49:16
Print Post

I was getting mixed up. You almost certainly started with interleaving plus 8ms "delay" parameter.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to