General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ss_4
(learned) Tue 17-Mar-20 22:01:00
Print Post

Switching from Virgin Media

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Unfortunately Virgin Media will be nearly doubling the price of my package to £80 pm when my contract runs out, so I rang the disconnections team. They weren't even able to match the offer that was on for new customers so I agreed to cancel my package on 8th April and gave permission to port my number out.

A couple of questions:

1. When should I sign up with a new provider (thinking of plusnet)? I don't mind a bit of overlap between providers to make sure it's all up and running and just in case there are any problems.
2. I want to keep my existing number. Does this mean that the Virgin phone service will be disconnected before 8th April?
3. Will an engineer be required? There is a BT line and socket in the property that was used until a year ago but doesn't work currently.

Thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Mar-20 06:46:44
Print Post

Re: Switching from Virgin Media

[re: ss_4] [link to this post]

I would suggest you start the ball rolling fairly shortly ... roughly a two week lead time for installs from time of order ... might be more in the current situation.

If you book for the 8th - and tell (insert new CP here) you wish to retain the current Virgin number, then they should be able to get that all done on the day. It WILL require an engineer visit though.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Mar-20 09:40:34
Print Post

Have you thought about porting the number to a VOIP service? And get a new number with te new service?

There are pros and cons to it ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ss_4
(learned) Wed 18-Mar-20 14:09:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm looking at ordering today. 2 weeks is the 1st or 2nd April. I would like it working before the 8th to make sure there are no issues.

The value of the landline is that we call 0845 numbers (to call abroad) regularly. BT/Plusnet and Virgin include these in their call packages.

MHC - Which VOIP services would you recommend? I looked at sipgate, from a quick google search, and they charge 3 p/min for 0845 calls (+the service charge I presume).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Mar-20 15:46:21
Print Post

By going to VOIP you can get very good international rates and there is no access code or charge. Each VOIP provider will be dofferent and you can chose one that has good rates to your detination.

I use Port5060 https://www.port5060.net/call-charges/ as they have good rates to teh locations I need (except to French mobile numbers)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to