General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 17:41:42
Print Post

Re: 2Connect - Leased Line provision

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

By way of update to this thread, we waved good-bye to 2Connect on 15 December last year, before the order had ever materialised.

We signed up with them on 16 July and after the initial survey was completed on 8 August, which came back all clear, we then went into planning and delivery. Order clock started officially ticking on 7 September (when planning was "complete") or so were told at the time.

A few weeks later around 24 September we were notified that excess constructions charges (or ECCs, for those unfamiliar with the terminology) of £2,800 were "found on this order and a little bit of extra work", but that these would be "covered".

More time passed, and on 2 October we were told "planning has been completed and this is now with the delivery team following the escalation"....although planning was supposed to have already been completed a month earlier on 7 September. First alarm bells begin ringing....

One week later on 9 October we were suddenly told "This order is being held up by a lead order, the lead order driving the fibre delivery in the area is subject to a wayleave agreement. The supplier advises they will update further next week."

Second alarm bells ringing...why all of a sudden was our dedicated leased line order being (a) linked with another order and (b) what the heck did any wayleaves have to do with us?

More time passes, and on 26 October we are told, "The lead order is in the final stages of planning but VMB rules are to complete the lead order and then ours can be installed. I'm going to keep working on the escalation to see if I can get more info/traction. The issue we are having is VMB are not obligated to keep us updated on the lead order just if it is progressing or not."

So the early sales patter about a '45 working day install guarantee' has now been long forgotten. Rather I'm basically told "we are waiting on this other order to complete. If this lead order slips there is nothing we can do about it I’m afraid."

On 9 December the update was "Blockages have been identified by the cable crew while working on the LEAD order, once these have been cleared the cable work can continue on the LEAD order."

By this stage my patience is really wearing thin. Bear in mind I have no idea (due to data protection) where this lead order actually is or how it actually relates to our order. I never get any more info on it. On 15th December I'm still getting told they are generating "blockage packs" on the lead order...not my order mind you...and they expect that the civil works on the blockages will be done in January!!

OK so enough is enough. After threatening earlier to cancel the order, on 15 December with no further real progress on this lead order, I finally pull the plug on the order and 2Connect.

Not a great experience tbh. But thought I should share in case anyone is contemplating using them and wanted any first hand feedback.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 17:51:17
Print Post

Before anyone asks, I did have another user on here contact me personally at the start of my thread and order. They too were using 2Connect, but for similar reasons many months into their own order, they also cancelled their 2Connect order.

The parting words from the chap at 2Connect in December was:

"...if you cancel the order you will be back at the beginning of the process again and on top of that wait, the price will also be higher as you’re pricing is part of a promotion we were running.

If you want to proceed then that’s great but we are looking Jan/Feb time to set expectations and NOBODY can get the order in any quicker."

To be fair they offered to pick up the tab for any cancellation charges(....but I wasn't prepared to pay any anyway!!)

I have subsequently signed a contract with another leased line service provider. The cost is actually lower than the quote I received from 2Connect in July. This circuit will be Openreach based (rather than VMB) and I have already had the Openreach survey completed last week. We are slated for delivery of the circuit in the next 10 days...

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 12-Jan-21 17:52:03)

Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:11:36
Print Post

VM are by far the worst supplier we've dealt with. We placed two orders for leased lines to a location that already had existing Openreach and VM fibres - the Openreach service went live 14 days after the order was placed, the VM one took four months and they insisted on running new fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:16:29
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

+1. They didn't exactly cover themselves in glory when I was once a VM residential cable customer.

Was honestly expecting much better from VMB, based on the promises that were made, but subsequently broken.

Lesson learned.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:17:20
Print Post

Please let us know how it goes. If it is installed in 10 days, or even a few more, it'll be a hilarious story for you and all of us. Frustrating Infuriating for you for the last seven months of course, but even so!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 20:00:25
Print Post

Is it a site to site circuit or is one end a POP site?
The linked order could be a driver circuit for the ethernet shelf at the PoP. The driver circuit leads the order for the whole shelf, including the power and remote management and the router to access the configs.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:18:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Please let us know how it goes. If it is installed in 10 days, or even a few more, it'll be a hilarious story for you and all of us. Frustrating Infuriating for you for the last seven months of course, but even so!

Hopefully haven't jinxed myself, but yes indeed!
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:25:45
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

POP to site. There was never any indication from VMB where the mysterious lead order was or how it actually related to our order, suffice to say that (1) apparently it *had* to be completed in full before our order could even begin to go ahead (2) "they" were paying the ECCs (I guess from the kindness of their heart, thank you!!!) and (3) this order had wayleave and duct blockage issues (the latter still unresolved as of December).
Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:32:28
Print Post

I've had exactly this situation happen before, where VMB quoted a price and a lead time and then decided to just put the order on hold until they had more interest from other tenants in the building so they could link the orders together. They never said anything about it before accepting the order, though.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:52:21
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
I've had exactly this situation happen before, where VMB quoted a price and a lead time and then decided to just put the order on hold until they had more interest from other tenants in the building so they could link the orders together. They never said anything about it before accepting the order, though.

After I ordered, there were certain turns of phrase used in their update emails. The language/parlance that was transcribed, led my to believe that there was a middleman involved rather than simply 2Connect <-> VMB.

I subsequently had it confirmed - from private discussions here with another (former) 2Connect customer- that 2Connect were buying circuit via ITS. Nothing new there for the trade, certainly not a state secret in the slightest, but it was never admitted or revealed to me by 2Connect. Strike one for transparency (or the lack thereof) or just basic business ethics.

I strongly suspected that any order "linking/ bundling" was done by ITS and/or VMB.

Caveat emptor.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to