General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-21 14:35:45
Print Post

Re: 2Connect - Leased Line provision

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Please let us know how it goes. If it is installed in 10 days, or even a few more, it'll be a hilarious story for you and all of us. Frustrating Infuriating for you for the last seven months of course, but even so!

Progress today from Openreach. Not quite 10 days...but pretty good considering the current situation/times etc...

ADVA NTE installed, waiting for internal fibre cabling + fibre tray:
https://postimg.cc/yDyG173S

External cabling under way in footpath chamber:
https://postimg.cc/kBX61cF3
https://postimg.cc/JtRG0qFD

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 02-Feb-21 15:17:51
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Is that a Colt splice tray or have Openreach changed what they use?
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-21 15:21:16
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Prysmian (in the chamber)

Edit: apologies - no the internal splice tray is mine (MCL), that's not Openreach.

The Openreach internal splice tray (not in photo above) is a 1U Prysmian Otian 2A splice shelf...sitting in a cardboard box for now whilst the team try and clear a micro-duct blockage between the mini-node at the end of street and the main node a few blocks away....

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 02-Feb-21 15:43:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ft247
(learned) Tue 02-Feb-21 17:20:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

There must be some serious routing demands for that Mikrotik to be needed... I have only deployed CCR1009s, none of which have never broken a sweat.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-21 19:18:26
Print Post

External cabling issues between two street nodes soaked up a lot of the time with the OR cabling team today. Still remains unresolved.

Looks like they need to either pull in a new 7-way duct or install a fixed fibre cable between the nodes.

Cable from the footpath chamber new mini-node outside to the internal splice point has been done. Bit messy getting the UG duct revealed indoors (there was a 5-pair copper DP over that point previously). Nothing some new grey melamine backing wont fix wink Just need to re-seal the duct properly beforehand!

https://postimg.cc/nMx45f09
https://postimg.cc/62fvwTY2

Also need to run the internal fibre from the splice point to the network cabinet on their return.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Wed 03-Feb-21 22:05:34
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
In reply to a post by Pheasant:

There must be some serious routing demands for that Mikrotik to be needed... I have only deployed CCR1009s, none of which have never broken a sweat.

Yeah local neighbourhood ISP...wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 16:42:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Please let us know how it goes. If it is installed in 10 days, or even a few more, it'll be a hilarious story for you and all of us. Frustrating Infuriating for you for the last seven months of course, but even so!

With luck on the final stretch now....

As the law of Murphy predicts, we had an unexpected internal cabling nightmare when Openreach came to finish the install on 8 February! I've noted this in another thread in the Fibre section of the forum, but to keep all the information in one place, here are the gory details.

A 12-core fibre comes in from the street, terminates in an internal fibre splice enclosure, which transitions the external gel-filled black cable to internally safe cable. Openreach then pulled in a 2-core fibre cable to the equipment cabinet, using a roped run into a 40mm kopex / flex-coiled duct that I provided during property reconstruction. This duct runs in the finished floor and wall void space.

After everything was spliced up both ends internally it became clear after further testing/OTDR, that the new internal fibre was well...broken. As a workaround OR decided to pull in a new dual-bore blown fibre tube (BFT) micro duct and blow in a fibre bundle from the splice to the cabinet fibre tray. They did this by using the old fibre cable as a draw. There was however another coax cable (initially pulled in together with the fibre,) still left in the flexi-duct during this process.

Here the nightmare came to pass, and rather unfortunately the new micro-duct then became jammed up as part of running it in. Then continuing to try and pull through the new microduct with more an more effort, either the redundant fibre or the micro duct snapped/separated on the pull-in. Leaving a part run bit of micro duct that now stubbornly refuses to be pulled back. The coax cable also wouldn't budge.

We were left without any alternative but to fish through a new cabling run, open up several walls and install a fresh blown fibre tube. This was completed yesterday and Openreach installed, spliced and tested the entire link. All good.

Yeah, not quite what was expected, but that's life!

Now waiting on carrier tests to complete before the new CP gives it the green light (literally! on the ADVA)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 16:57:06
Print Post

The TL;DR summary is as follow:
- 2Connect got the finger back in December
- Re-contracted with Focus Group using Openreach circuit, order placed 15 December
- Install booked for 2 February, but there were some external OR cabling issues preventing completion
- Re-booked for 8 February to complete internal install - then major problem with internal cabling route
- Final visit on 3 March, after new internal cabling route and BFT installed.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 18:53:43
Print Post

Bet you are glad to get that all finished. Not bad only 1 month late. Hope it all lights up for you ( tomorrow).
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 19:18:34
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Bet you are glad to get that all finished. Not bad only 1 month late. Hope it all lights up for you ( tomorrow).

Yep relieved there's a green LED next to that access network port!!

24-hour test you reckon? It's wires only...still they're telling me "officially" its 10 working days for remote works and testing.

I have to say Openreach have been brilliant throughout.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Wed 03-Mar-21 22:23:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to