General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(regular) Mon 20-Jul-20 17:58:22
Print Post

BT/TalkTalk/Plus Net/Sky/EE/Uno

[link to this post]

Out of contract so time to look around for a new deal. I am currently with BT and have had no problems except for a fairly recent wifi issue that could well be related to Lockdown. However their post contract prices are a little unattractive.

Question is should I try renegotiating a new deal with them or look at someone else? Has TT customer service improved since I was last with them? Is the new router as good as they claim? Is Plus Net worth looking at?... Are their recent customer service issues just related to the bedding in of new IT or is it really getting worse in the long term? What of Sky where you have to post their router back to them at the end of the contract.... Is EE worth a look? And then there is the new budget offering from Uno where the customer service seems good but they don't provide a router.... How good ate the Tecnicolor routers they are selling?

What are folks opinions? Currently getting 48 down 9 up with BT.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 20-Jul-20 18:03:16
Print Post

Re: BT/TalkTalk/Plus Net/Sky/EE/Uno

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

Start off by calling all of them and ask what speeds they believe you will get.

Any that give greater than 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up - write them out.

Then look at price - see what BT will offer and then ask what they will reduce it to as you are intending leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 20-Jul-20 18:20:35
Print Post

About to sign my third contract with PN having moved from BT in 2014 because of price rises. Last straw was attempt to charge for their BT Yahoo email which was hacked twice frown As new customer PN will give you £75 reward (prepaid Mastercard). I'm happy with 36MB for which PN charges £23 pm on 18mth contract. BT offers the same connection for £27 on two-year contract. As I understand it it's same speeds on same equipment -- so no contest.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jul-20 21:33:21
Print Post

i have just resigned to Plusnet as they gave me a good offer, and they have been good with me, but if I did not mind spending a bit more I would have gone with Uno to be honest. But my reason to stay with plusnet is cost, simple as that

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 02:07:39
Print Post

I am happy staying with PN because their network is very good except customer service is awful but u get reply from PN forum rather than ticket via CS. I was offered good deal for 24 months contract for Fibre 80/20 for less than £10 a month because PN agreed to matched vodafone price but it also including my referral scheme to reduced the price more. I have no issues with PN on my FTTC 80/20 for a long while since 2014. Only the engineer come out once in the last six years for FTTC resetted after voice line fault.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-20 08:51:37
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I've been with talktalk for years, only had one problem and that was sorted out quickly. Rock solid 69/19 connection. I got one of the new Sagem routers when I resigned and its excellent, the old one was fine but this sagem has given a massive increase in wireless range and speeds.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 PC
i7 Surface Pro 7
Standard User burble
(committed) Tue 21-Jul-20 09:23:04
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

I've also been with TT for some time, the new router is pretty good, customer service seems a bit patchy, for the technically uninformed I would guess it's a nightmare, but if you know your way around the system it's no worse than any other from what I can see.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jul-20 09:24:42
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I am happy staying with PN because their network is very good except customer service is awful but u get reply from PN forum rather than ticket via CS. I was offered good deal for 24 months contract for Fibre 80/20 for less than £10 a month because PN agreed to matched vodafone price but it also including my referral scheme to reduced the price more. I have no issues with PN on my FTTC 80/20 for a long while since 2014. Only the engineer come out once in the last six years for FTTC resetted after voice line fault.

£10 a month is good, I can understand why you took that, not sure if I would want to be tied into 24 months, 18 months is long enough. I have never used their referral system, I should do, but then most people I know are already with a provider, the only one who may change at some point is my brother as he is with Shell at the moment.

Customer Service wise, Plusnet have been ok with me, they even sent me that Zyxel router when I was having the problem with my line and sync. It did not solve the problem, but they tried, and they did get BTOR out a load of times to try to get the problem sorted.
But yes the network seems ok, they seemed to have coped ok with the increase in people working at home and online.
I have no real complaints about them, which is why I decided to recontract for 18 months and the fact it was a good deal that I would not find anywhere else. Just a shame it is owned by BT, but thankfully not run by them

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zhango
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-20 09:31:22
Print Post

I was with Vodafone for two years and had a reliable service but moved to PN purely on price. The service is also very good and not needed customer service as I've had no problems. At the end of my 18 month contract I will stay with PN if the offer is ok. I will never return to BT because of the problems I had with billing and atrocious customer service although the BB service was excellent.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 10:51:16
Print Post

Sticking with BT would be best if your not having any issues, try giving them a call and renegotiating a new contract.

I not a fan of Plusnet due to support issues and also weird network management around the way they profile lines,

No complaints about TalkTalk but not got confidence in their supplied kit.

Had Sky in the past, very reliable service, had the Sky Q hub, seemed quite solid piece of kit, however have noticed localised congestion issues with them on other peoples connections before now.

EE, no experiance and if your an EE Mobile customer as I am, I would probably give them a shot

Uno - Not sure how they operate these days, I've seen some of the smaller providers grow to become unreliable.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to