General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 18:06:00
Print Post

Re: BT/TalkTalk/Plus Net/Sky/EE/Uno

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

As a previous BT customer, I went with EE simply due to price, the cashback deal and the extra data on my phone plan.

You don't get IPV6 and I can't comment on the Smart Hub as i've got my own kit.

The connection is rock solid, full line speed 24/7 and the pings are low and stable.

Will I renew my contract with them? Possibly, if the price is right but i'm not really a fan of 18 month lock ins.

Very pleased with them for £27.99 a month though.

-

EE Fibre Plus 79690 | 19999kbps
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Tue 21-Jul-20 18:15:37
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Been away from BT a week now! And can now watch streaming without buffering and losing connecting when football is on, maybe a coincidence. With TT, much cheaper £21.00 a month less and £110 back through a cash back!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-2015
Pension Advisor 2015-
I'm alright Jack....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4170529760.png
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 19:55:18
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

In terms of the big retail ISP's, I have moved about a fair bit, mainly to get cashback deals.

I have been with TalkTalk, PlusNet, BT and EE.

I have never experienced speed or ping issues on any of them. I had a lengthy outage on TalkTalk due to a fiber break but that was it. I used my own kit though, which I do now too,

Ping times for me were the lowest on BT - a couple of ms lower than TT.

Congestion - none. Always had full speeds at all times.

Support? I spoke to TalkTalk and BT via their support forums and they were very helpful.

I did briefly use BT's kit before I bought my router and it restarted every 14 days, which annoyed me.

I left BT because they weren't particularly competitive when it came to the renewal. I'd have stayed otherwise.

I see Uno have been mentioned, brilliant ISP. I was with them on ADSL for a few years and Matt was superb. The customer support and connection were of high quality. I would definitely rejoin them in the future - on BTw backhaul though.

We have had a couple of outages in the town recently that have wiped out Sky and TT on all the exchanges yet BTw connections have been fine.

-

EE Fibre Plus 79690 | 19999kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wildgoose1uk
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-20 20:32:58
Print Post

Well I honestly didn't think I would stay with BT but I have done just that. I have had no real problems with them other than a recent wifi issue that seems to have resolved of its own accord but I just didn't expect them to be competitive. However, from Ann initial price of £18 plus £18 for line rental they came down to £6 plus line rental on a 24 month contract.

£24 per month for around 45-50 down and 9 up meant I saw little point in changing.

Many thanks for all the input.

Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Wed 22-Jul-20 12:42:15
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Sticking with BT would be best if your not having any issues, try giving them a call and renegotiating a new contract.

I not a fan of Plusnet due to support issues and also weird network management around the way they profile lines,

No complaints about TalkTalk but not got confidence in their supplied kit.

Had Sky in the past, very reliable service, had the Sky Q hub, seemed quite solid piece of kit, however have noticed localised congestion issues with them on other peoples connections before now.

EE, no experiance and if your an EE Mobile customer as I am, I would probably give them a shot

Uno - Not sure how they operate these days, I've seen some of the smaller providers grow to become unreliable.

The Sagem router I had a few months back is excellent and a massive improvement on the Huawei one I had for years, the Sagem has speeded up wireless in the home and really increased its range into our garden.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 PC
i7 Surface Pro 7
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jul-20 16:07:03
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

Actually yes, I have used the sagem router at a relatives home and noticed it uses a good wifi chip...

I would say TalkTalk are a provider thats had to work hard on rebuilding its name and this has had a positive impact on service.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 00:02:25
Print Post

VDSL wise, plusnet is the only one I have been with, i used a few on ADSL and they have gone from very good like Metronet and a flipping waste of space like BT, I even went to AOL for a month, before Talk Talk grabbed them.
I have a good deal for 18 months with Plusntge now, I must admit I really did not want to be locked into an 18-month contract, but nothing is going to change here to be honest, we are not going to have pure fibre or G.Fast or anything like that, so as long as plusnet keeps the service going I will be happy.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-20 10:22:57
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Well after me waxing lyrical about BT and the deal they gave me they have still not implemented it and I still show as out of contract. This is despite me spending the better part of an hour on chat with them and sending them copies of the signed contract.

I honestly don’t think I can bear another x amount of time on chat with them. I did it initially when negotiators deal and then again when they hadn’t implement it. I have just lost patience with them.

It seems that Uno Duo is no longer available here so it seems to be down to talk talk or plusnet.

Any thought that people have would be welcome and gratefully received.

Thx in advance (once again)

Wg

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Sep-20 12:20:14
Print Post

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wildgoose1uk:
It seems that Uno Duo is no longer available here so it seems to be down to talk talk or plusnet.

That's because Uno isp are blocked your landline number! They don't want your business!

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-20 12:29:07
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Why on earth would they do that?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to