General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Sun 22-Nov-20 12:57:18
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interesting post, Bob, giving another example of the bargain which isn't! A relative moving to a few miles outside Oxford finds there is no mobile cover and no fibre available, but as he works from home he is glad to sign up with a cable company and use VOIP.

We've just discovered that Vonage charges £10.25 for its basic UK package, plus 10p/min for calls to mobiles. Adding everything up he expects to pay more than his present FTTC. I stress we're happy to pay for an appropriate service and companies have to make a profit, but as you say consumers should do their research first especially if they're on a tight budget.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Nov-20 13:22:19
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Interesting post, Bob, giving another example of the bargain which isn't! A relative moving to a few miles outside Oxford finds there is no mobile cover and no fibre available, but as he works from home he is glad to sign up with a cable company and use VOIP.

I advised a colleague whom had a similar no mobile coverage issue, but was able to get a good broadband service (this was a fixed wireless provider).

They were able to move mobile provider to one that provided "WiFi Calling" and since then the mobile works at home as normal.

Maybe another option?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 22-Nov-20 13:49:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
They were able to move mobile provider to one that provided "WiFi Calling" and since then the mobile works at home as normal.

Maybe another option?

Bear in mind that some network providers only enable WiFi calling on a limited range of handsets (usually bought through their shop at inflated prices or contract charges) so definitely "try before you buy".

Edited by GonePostal (Sun 22-Nov-20 13:49:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Nov-20 15:25:42
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Bear in mind that some network providers only enable WiFi calling on a limited range of handsets (usually bought through their shop at inflated prices or contract charges) so definitely "try before you buy".

With Android there have been issues, but I know on EE and similarly on Three, almost all handsets now have these network settings built in. Some networks (looking at O2 and Vodafone) did in the past require their custom software. None of that was a problem on iPhone devices.

The alternate, virtual networks, such as Smarty, Voxi, Plusnet, haven't supported WiFi calling, and enterprise plans on all networks will have different approaches.

I believe Three is fairly unique in supporting WiFi calling on PAYG.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 22-Nov-20 17:02:08
Print Post

We've just discovered that Vonage charges £10.25 for its basic UK package, plus 10p/min for calls to mobiles. Adding everything up he expects to pay more than his present FTTC. I stress we're happy to pay for an appropriate service and companies have to make a profit, but as you say consumers should do their research first especially if they're on a tight budget.

What is their "basic" UK package? I use SipGate Basic (with a UK calling plan inc Mobile) and it's £10 per month for the call plan, otherwise NO charge per month for the number or the service.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 03:54:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes I am aware that AAISP do not allow incoming or outgoing calls. I pay £1.20 for a couple of SIP numbers from them but make very few calls. They are mainly so I have a local number to give to companies that insist on non mobile numbers.

I'm looking at IDNet with their SOGEA option and will be giving them a call later to make some enquiries, like which backhaul I'll be supplied with, cost of disconnecting if/when I move, if any extra cost to switch back to a supplier with normal functioning PSTN, and a few others if I can think of them!

Zen > AAISP Home::1 1TB > BT Infinity 2 > Sky Fibre Max
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 11:13:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

@jchamier
Thank you, that's the answer! They are with EE and everything works as you suggest.

@CJT
That's interesting, Sipgate is much cheaper. Vonage UK calls package is £10.25pm plus 10p/min for mobiles as stated. Also offer international packages and mobile addon for both.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 12:33:35
Print Post

@CJT
That's interesting, Sipgate is much cheaper. Vonage UK calls package is £10.25pm plus 10p/min for mobiles as stated. Also offer international packages and mobile addon for both.

Packages are as follows:
UK Call Package - £9.95, Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles.

EU Call Package - £14.95 - Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles, Call Package for UK phone calls and Call Package for 28 EU countries

EU Plus - £19.95 - Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles, Call Package for UK phone calls, Call Package for 28 EU countries incl. 8 additional non-EU countries.

I hope this helps.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 15:58:10
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

How about Now Broadband, £24 for 80/20 with free UK and mobile calls, 12 month with 1 month option.

Zen > AAISP Home::1 1TB > BT Infinity 2 > Sky Fibre Max
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 18:55:08
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
How about Now Broadband, £24 for 80/20 with free UK and mobile calls, 12 month with 1 month option.

Been with Now Broadband before, so wanting to give a smaller operator a chance.

Price isn't the main factor here.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to