General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 13:44:51
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to?

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
I found that Plusnet would only give a 12-month contract..

Absolutely not true. I renewed a few weeks ago and my 24 month contract started on 2/10/20.

Absolutely right about the billing system though. My first bill notification has come through without the discount but I'm confident that will be rectified in the near future.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 17:39:20
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by CJT:
According to Vodafone it's available on Superfast 1 Extra (40/10) and Superfast 2 Extra (80/20) both include line rental and unlimited anytime calls.

My only issue is a 2 year contract!

No problem you can ask PN to match this but on a 12 months contract (make sure u metion 12 months not 24 months!)

As a new customer?

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Oct-20 17:41:43
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

As a new customer?
Yes

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 20:04:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
As a new customer?
Yes

If I go with PN I will try that!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User bsg017
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-20 21:32:54
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

I changed from BT with an old HomeHub5 router to Vodaphone with their router and so far I have been very pleased without any need so far to tangle with their support. I got a few Mbs download speed more than BT said was possible and some wifi problems with connecting an Amazon Firestick disappeared. A separate feature which might help some people is that vodaphone do not charge extra for calls to UK mobile numbers on their unlimited telephone calls add-on. I am happy with my ~53Mbs although FTTP is now available to me from BT if I want to join those neighbours who have opted for a higher speed connection.
A minor unexpected bonus was that Vodaphone/BT made the switch in the exchange on the evening before changeover date so there was no hanging around without the Internet.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Oct-20 22:09:51
Print Post

Yes I am aware that PN are part of the BT Group (and have been for many years), for some that was the start of the demise of PN. My parents use them and have had no issues. I probaby won't use them but they remain a possibility.

Yes I want to fiddle around with the Router settings, and maybe even take advantage of extra features if the Router has them.

i would not touch plusnet before, when Metronet was sold to plusnet, I jumped ship, to AOL, maybe jumping out of the pan into fire, but I thought I would give them a try.
It did not work out as the fastest they could give me was 512Kb/s, I had 2.5Mb/s with Metronet. I heard of plusnetawful traffic shaping at the time.

I can not remember who I went with after AOL, but after that I went with a wireless network. It was only when things started playing up with them and by that time FTTC had arrived here that I decided to go back to fixed line broadband. After a bit of a search, I decided to give plusnet a try, even if it was part of BT by then, I have not been a fan of BT for years. Over 5 years later, and I am still with them, so they must be doing something good.

I am not really into mucking around with routers these days, just plug them, and they work, the only thing I do is get rid of the 5GhZ Wi-fi, but I do use ehternet as much as I can, everything that can be connected to Ethernet is, including my printer.
oh, i have set up the guest Wi-fi and set up IP address limits for my devices.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Oct-20 00:03:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Guest wifi?

You have visitors needing that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 07:59:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Guest wifi?

You have visitors needing that?

I have visitors, not as many as I did, but I still have some. Nothing wrong with putting them onto a guest Wi-fi, I don't have to give them my Wi-fi password.

It is available, so may as well use it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 06-Oct-20 08:23:02
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Yes I am aware that PN are part of the BT Group (and have been for many years), for some that was the start of the demise of PN. My parents use them and have had no issues. I probaby won't use them but they remain a possibility.

Yes I want to fiddle around with the Router settings, and maybe even take advantage of extra features if the Router has them.

i would not touch plusnet before, when Metronet was sold to plusnet, I jumped ship, to AOL, maybe jumping out of the pan into fire, but I thought I would give them a try.
It did not work out as the fastest they could give me was 512Kb/s, I had 2.5Mb/s with Metronet. I heard of plusnetawful traffic shaping at the time.

I can not remember who I went with after AOL, but after that I went with a wireless network. It was only when things started playing up with them and by that time FTTC had arrived here that I decided to go back to fixed line broadband. After a bit of a search, I decided to give plusnet a try, even if it was part of BT by then, I have not been a fan of BT for years. Over 5 years later, and I am still with them, so they must be doing something good.

I am not really into mucking around with routers these days, just plug them, and they work, the only thing I do is get rid of the 5GhZ Wi-fi, but I do use ehternet as much as I can, everything that can be connected to Ethernet is, including my printer.
oh, i have set up the guest Wi-fi and set up IP address limits for my devices.

MetroNet was the 1st ADSL ISP I joined when I moved to Manchester with a partner at the time. You had to pay by Debit/Credit Card via a portal and if you forgot to pay you had no internet access except to their payment portal until you had paid!

The changeover date for the product from BT is tomorrow, so I am hoping by Thurs I can use the number checkers online to start getting a proper idea what service I can expect and at what price.

I have previously had a router with a Guest WiFi option and used it! It's better giving people that password than the one for your main WiFi if possible. IMHO

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 19:03:53
Print Post

Metronet was one of the better ISPs I have been with, one of the more reliable ones on ADSL. It was a shame that they were sold and now no longer exists.

This is the problem with companies buying ISPs, they merge them, and then they vanish. I am surprised that BT have kept both plusnet and EE going, because there is very little difference between them broadband wise. Mobile phone is a different thing, EE is a network, while Plusnet uses that network for their mobile phone service.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to