General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 17:25:56
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to?

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
IDNet seem quite expensive once you add the VAT, though I thought all of IDNet packages were business class?

What care level do Talk Talk Business apply on PSTN? Level 2?

I'll certainly be considering them if level 2 is included in the £27 odd Inc VAT per month!

Checking IDNet I get this:

SuperFast Plus

FTTC

Downstream : 76.21Mbit/s to 80Mbit/s
Upstream : 19Mbit/s to 20Mbit/s

Enhanced Care Level

Line Rental Included

£60.00 Per Month

That's a LOT of cash!

Can't seem to find what level TTV provides online.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 17:29:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pulse8 are all (that I have checked) Business Level 2. Click the "i" symbol. 48-hour target.

According to: https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/fibreoptic-packages?ty...

P8Ultimate Biz Fibre
Faster Highest Priority Managed Business Grade (Care Level 3 - 24hr target fix) Line and Fibre (F.T.T.C.) with up to 76Mbps down / 20Mbps upload speeds with no throttling and Unlimited monthly data usage for £36.25 + V.A.T.

Looks interesting!

Need to ring IDNet tomorrow to check on provisioning, as I cannot have it go live when I am working (I work part time) so it has to be one of my days off. I'll ring Pluse8 to check on the above as well smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-20 18:38:43
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

IDNet are very competent. Problems (rare!) are resolved within a reasonable timescale. Even if it takes a while you never get the feeling that you're being fobbed off. You get what you pay for wink

(I returned to IDNet severa years ago after a couple of years with PN but don't have any other affiliation with them).

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nobodylovesme
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-20 21:26:04
Print Post

I thought that switching to a business broadband package would be better and tried this a few years ago with BT. Business partly because we were having line issues and thought a business package might carry some more clout on getting it fixed. But I was so wrong, If I called BT residential in the evening when I get home from work they would answer and be able to help, but try calling BT business after 6pm for tech support and they tell you to call back during office hours which was laughable. I would regularly call during the day and if the line is busy it automatically diverts to the residential line. They then have to transfer you back as they cannot help. I found the line speed was exactly the same as by previous residential BT line at the same property, so switched back in the end. We are due to switch to ZEN next week and cannot wait, they sound very promising. Less people complaining https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/broadband-reviews/zen which is always a good start. I take a lot of the reviews with a pinch of salt. TalkTalk is the only provider that I have used before that I would never recommend. Technical staff seem to have very little knowledge about what they are selling or trying to fix. Other than we will send you a new router.. (mini-rant over)
Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 22:49:31
Print Post

At £60 I'd rather go with AAISP personally. Whatever the level of PSTN care they use, I have never had trouble getting my line fixed within a reasonable time frame. I can't "fault" them enough for dealing with line issues.

I was set on Zen when I looked a few months ago, but am now considering Pulse 8, IDNet, Talk Talk Business also. I am looking to not be tied down for too long as I'll certainly be looking at moving within the 24 month time frame of the TTB contract (I need to ring them to see if they have any black friday deals on shorter terms).

I am happy to pay a little more to have higher than the basic care level for the PSTN, just for a more prompt fix for faults, should they ever occur.

I am currently paying £40.50 for BT 80/20, and besides having a dynamic IP, I haven't been able to fault it to be honest!

Zen > AAISP Home::1 1TB > BT Infinity 2 > Sky Fibre Max
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:18:28
Print Post

Just for clarity I have not suggested I would move to any Business service, it was suggested as an option by one of the members on here.

My options for Residential remain at IDNet, Pulse8 and UNO.

Will be making a few calls today to ask some pertinent questions to all of them.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:20:25
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
At £60 I'd rather go with AAISP personally. Whatever the level of PSTN care they use, I have never had trouble getting my line fixed within a reasonable time frame. I can't "fault" them enough for dealing with line issues.

For £60 I may as well stay with BT as that's basically what I am paying out of contract, but that's not my point. I am leaving BT because they are incompetent.

My preference is to remain on a Residential contract with a decent/reliable provider

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:21:29
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
IDNet are very competent. Problems (rare!) are resolved within a reasonable timescale. Even if it takes a while you never get the feeling that you're being fobbed off. You get what you pay for wink

(I returned to IDNet severa years ago after a couple of years with PN but don't have any other affiliation with them).

Thank you Andrue your input is also appreciated smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User nobodylovesme
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 09:28:55
Print Post

Good luck with the switch, never heard of IDNet, Pulse8 or UNO. So not sure which one is better. But suspect you are more likely to get knowledgeable caring support from a smaller independent ISP. Partly my reason for switching to ZEN.
Standard User TheFuzzyOne87
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 10:00:19
Print Post

Been reading this thread it was most interesting, so interesting that I decided to register just to reply! smile

For what it's worth:

Sky - Used them for 7 years rock solid, had my phone line cut outside by builders, spoke to Sky via chat, Openreach turned up the next day to replace the phone line and I didn't get charged for this. Jitter was very consistent, not sure how it would look with the current situation with so many people working from home. I only left them purely because for the same price I could get 350mbps download speeds from Virgin Media (there was an offer).

Virgin Media - Been with them for just over a year (notice given), absolutely terrible, jitter is horrific, amount of packet loss is crazy, customer services are useless, their 'technical' support is hopeless, their complaints department is useless, in summary don't waste your time with them, the only reason I went with them was for the download speeds, it wasn't worth the lack of stability, I had 8 days in a row of 'blips' while trying to work which was the final straw. Provided router is terrible (Super Hub 3), lacks alot of configurable things used it in Modem Mode only.

Virgin Media BQM

Vodafone - Had this for 7 days, so far so good, it's still in it's testing phase so DLM is still checking my line out, download speed is increasing with each 'blip' (overnight), a few spikes of jitter but nothing noticable in comparison to Virgin Media. The provided router is surprisingly good, the information provided from line stats etc is quite detailed for a ISP provided router. Easy to get credentials to allow you to use your own Modem/Router from Customer Services Chat. 24 month contract for £23.50 a month.

Vodafone BQM

Zen - Had this for 3 days, it's still in it's testing phase so DLM is still checking my line out, download speed is increasing with each 'blip' (overnight), a few spikes of jitter but nothing as bad as with Virgin Media, the supplied router is good, a FRITZ!Box 7530, it's a feature rich configurable router, line stats information is quite detailed, static IP, 12 month contract for £34.99 (setup not included) & LIFETIME PRICE GUARANTEE - You’ll keep the same monthly price on your monthly bundle when your contract ends.

Zen BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to