General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:03:10
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to?

[re: TheFuzzyOne87] [link to this post]

Good Morning TheFuzzyOne87

I really appreciate you signing up just to reply.

I feel it's only fair I should reply to you based on your reply.

Sky - Worked in Technical Support for them previously, had a line with NowTV (subsidary service) wouldn't go back to them, as want to use own hardware and they do not happily support it.

Virgin Media - One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, poor customer service and network locally.

Vodafone - Looks ot be very promising, except they want you to sign up for 24 months, not prepared to comit for that long!

Zen - Great ISP based in Rochdale, once almost applied to work for them, has been a contender, could still be in fairness! Never been with them before.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User TheFuzzyOne87
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:19:34
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying back lol

Sky - Yeah, it was a bit of faffing around to get my own modem & router working, (TCP Dump).

Virgin Media - Couldn't agree more.

Vodafone - Yeah I was reluctant to go with them but it was a cheap option and if it turns out to be a good service I will be happy for the price to stay the same for 2 years.

Zen - Been eyeing them up for years and since I had such a bad experience with Virgin Media I thought I would give them a shot, I liked the idea of having a static IP too, reviews seem to be quite positive about them too, UK based customer support is a plus. Only thing I can fault so far is the fact you have to phone in to them to order the service, seems very old school in that sense but was pretty painfree for me, well apart from my order getting lost in their system as they just changed billing software (apparently), ordered on Friday wasn't processed until the Wednesday, wasn't the end of the world really.

The cost of having both Vodafone & Zen is still cheaper than having Virgin Media for me. The idea is I will use both ISP's at the same time by load-balancing traffic across both, whether its based on applications or just tcp/udp sessions is yet to be decided, once the DLM testing completes on both ISP's I can then start testing out both scenarios to see if works well, if it doesn't then I will just have a main and backup connection lol.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:23:26
Print Post

My post about the Level 2 support at Pulse8 was re the Home product. The more expensive Business one does have Level 3, as you say, those levels in effect being the contracted Openreach response times AIUI.

(They seem to have altered the website in the last few days to have them both on the same page. I hadn't seen the current layout smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:42:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My post about the Level 2 support at Pulse8 was re the Home product. The more expensive Business one does have Level 3, as you say, those levels in effect being the contracted Openreach response times AIUI.

(They seem to have altered the website in the last few days to have them both on the same page. I hadn't seen the current layout smile).

I was only thinking of Home I can't see I need Business, as far as I can tell this issue is down to BT/Openreach and the DV service.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-20 16:57:30
Print Post

Seems to me that Pulse8 might be your best choice for FTTC and line rental: cost is reasonable, no activation fee for an existing FTTC enabled line, one month minimum term, etc. Downside might be the resold TTB MPF aspect of the deal.

For example, with a migration to uno you could keep your line with BTw but overall it would be more expensive and on a 12 months minimum term. However uno's customer support is very good - from my experience tickets are responded to very effectively and promptly.

If you do go with Pulse8 it would be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the migration etc.

Best of luck.

Edited by 4M2 (Thu 19-Nov-20 17:00:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-20 18:19:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

I was only thinking of Home I can't see I need Business, as far as I can tell this issue is down to BT/Openreach and the DV service.
I was referring to:
P8Ultimate Biz Fibre
Faster Highest Priority Managed Business Grade (Care Level 3 - 24hr target fix) Line and Fibre (F.T.T.C.) with up to 76Mbps down / 20Mbps upload speeds with no throttling and Unlimited monthly data usage for £36.25 + V.A.T.

Looks interesting!
That is the Business product, rather than the Home product. Hence the "Biz". Except they have now amalgamated them onto the same page smile.

There's nothing to stop you ordering it if you wish, of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 20:11:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Seems to me that Pulse8 might be your best choice for FTTC and line rental: cost is reasonable, no activation fee for an existing FTTC enabled line, one month minimum term, etc. Downside might be the resold TTB MPF aspect of the deal.

For example, with a migration to uno you could keep your line with BTw but overall it would be more expensive and on a 12 months minimum term. However uno's customer support is very good - from my experience tickets are responded to very effectively and promptly.

If you do go with Pulse8 it would be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the migration etc.

Best of luck.

Hello 4M2

Regarding UNO I have also noticed they charge a £12 fee to migrate to them, which neither IDNet nor Pulse8 charge.

Sadly due to circs beyond my control I wasn't able to ring any of the providers today, so that's hopefully a job for tomorrow smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:31:50
Print Post

Hello 4M2

Regarding UNO I have also noticed they charge a £12 fee to migrate to them, which neither IDNet nor Pulse8 charge.

Sadly due to circs beyond my control I wasn't able to ring any of the providers today, so that's hopefully a job for tomorrow smile

Best of luck with your inquires - looks like IDNet do a BTw FTTC and line rental package since they charge a LLU (Talk Talk / Sky) Transfer of £50.00 (maybe that's just for ADSL?). That's probably not of any relevance to you because I believe you are currently with BT retail for broadband and line rental. Perhaps it's something to bear in mind if you wish to switch between providers in the near future by taking one month minimum term deals.
Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-20 01:24:06
Print Post

I'm not sure if I'm missing something with Uno, as on a 1 month contract with line rental I am getting a total of £54.46 with VAT per month.

When AAISP are only 56 pence per month extra and provide level 2 PSTN care as standard.

I would rather keep the PSTN side with BT or WLR3 as has been discussed above, moving back to BT from MPF can cost a lot sometimes. IIRC Uno don't support this kind of move, or at least they didn't when I enquired with them a couple years ago about another premises.

Zen > AAISP Home::1 1TB > BT Infinity 2 > Sky Fibre Max
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Nov-20 01:09:10
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

You may be missing the fact that line rental with AAISP does not provide PSTN phone services. Not just no call packages, but no incoming or outgoing calls at all.

You have to use VOIP from them or some other supplier if you want a phone service with them. If you don't want one, or only ever use your mobile, that's fine.

========================
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to