General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 30-Sep-20 17:19:27
Print Post

Leaving BT but who to go to?

[link to this post]

I am finally able to leave BT after a few issues with their Trails service. Suffice to say it's time to try someone else.

Quite like the idea of using a 3rd party router as sometimes the ISP one's can be naff.

Ona decent line, can get near 80/20 on FTTC.

Narrowed down to a few choices:
PlusNet (parents are with them, they haven't had any issues and the CS seem to be fairly good)
Pulse8Broadband - Small provider seem fairly good value for money. Also very fast/knowledgeable when I contacted them.
UNO - Same as above regarding service.
IDNet - Small provider, bit more expensive but seem good quality
All seem to offer 1 or 12 Month contracts as well.

Other options: Vodafone - Against a 24m Contract but tempted by Apple TV+ on them plus free Apple TV box.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or advice to stay away from any of the above providers?

Thanks in advance.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User flilot
(regular) Fri 02-Oct-20 03:39:57
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to?

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJT:
Other options: Vodafone - Against a 24m Contract but tempted by Apple TV+ on them plus free Apple TV box.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or advice to stay away from any of the above providers?

I'd say stay away from Vodafone on FTTC. their tech support is really shocking should you ever need it. If it was FTTP (GigaFast) you were considering with them, I'd say go for it, as their separate tech support team are brilliant. But FTTC, no.

Carl
(experienced) Fri 02-Oct-20 09:01:58
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
I'd say stay away from Vodafone on FTTC. their tech support is really shocking should you ever need it. If it was FTTP (GigaFast) you were considering with them, I'd say go for it, as their separate tech support team are brilliant. But FTTC, no.

Hi filot

Thank you, I shall take that on board smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 09:26:34
Print Post

Do you have your own router or modem? Some ISP's will chuck one in free of charge, others will charge. Mainly the smaller ISP's will charge.

EE and Plusnet are forks of BT. You don't get IPV6, they run their own networks and have their own support but they are BT sister companies.

I'm on EE now and they are great, get line speed all the time. I have been on Plusnet and they were the same. Both give you a modem/router. EE use a rebranded BT Business Smart Hub. The Plusnet Hub I believe is an old BT HomeHub 5. The EE one providing better wifi.

Uno I have been with on ADSL, solid connection and excellent support. I'll be looking at moving back to them at the end of my EE contract - if they can provide a bundled phone and broadband service.

Zen are an ISP I keep hearing great things about. Manchester based support, run their own backhaul like TalkTalk and Sky.

-

EE Fibre Plus 79690 | 19999kbps

Edited by wolvesmad (Fri 02-Oct-20 09:28:34)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 02-Oct-20 12:14:21
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Do you have your own router or modem? Some ISP's will chuck one in free of charge, others will charge. Mainly the smaller ISP's will charge.

I intend to purchase one as I am fed up of the ISP supplied ones, which is why some of the niche ISP's interest me.

Uno I have been with on ADSL, solid connection and excellent support. I'll be looking at moving back to them at the end of my EE contract - if they can provide a bundled phone and broadband service.

UNO was the first company I e-mailed when I reaslised the deal I was on, had come to an end. They replied very quickly (in fact I am sure Matt on here replied) and they were VERY informative over my current situation.

Until 7/10 I cannot use the online checker with my number to check any of their options, but I will look.

Thanks for the info smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Fri 02-Oct-20 16:30:28
Print Post

I’ve has Zen FTTC for a couple of years now. They provide a Fritz! Router although I use me own Draytek hardware. Tech Support is first rate and apart from a bad patch over the summer where their supplier ran into capacity issues in both the London & Manchester hubs - now all resolved - their service has been flawless.

My 80/20 service usually gives 73Mbps/18Mbps day or night with latency around 7ms. I’m 300m from the PCP.

They also guarantee the price you pay won’t increase. I don’t use their phone side, although line rental is through them, as it’s a spare line. I believe on my exchange, the backhaul used is TalkTalk Business. Highly recommend them as an ISP.
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 16:42:44
Print Post

The niche ISP's I would look at are Uno, Pulse8, Aquiss, IDNet, AAISP.

I believe Pulse8 is a rolling 30 day contract.

-

EE Fibre Plus 79690 | 19999kbps
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 17:39:46
Print Post

So, you with EE now? I know their router are lots better than PN Hub One. My parents want to leave PN soon and might switch over to TalkTalk or EE. I told them they are better off with EE as they both do have EE mobile.

I always tempted to try EE G.fast 160/30 but I can't be bother and stayed with PN with 80/20 as the monthly cost for Unlimited Fibre Extra only cost me 96p a month for 2 years with LRS (12 months already pay upfront)

Unlimited Fibre Extra £20.99
LRS for line only £0.00
Discount for fibre broadband £20.03 (24 months)
total per month £0.96p

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Oct-20 17:45:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:

IDNet is also a 30 day contract for FTTC and 30 dat contracts are also available at a slightly increased cost from AAISP and Uno. Aquiss, is a 12 minth contract, but do offer a significant discount for the first three months,

All good choices in my book.
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 17:57:23
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

The EE Smarthub is a re-branded BT Business Hub. It allows more customisation like you're own DNS and has a WAN port so you can hook your own modem up. It performs well on wifi. No idea what the DSL side is like as i've only ever used it as a router.

I only used it for a couple of months and then bought an Asus as I wanted to mess about with Merlin.

Would I recommend them as an ISP, yes? Ping times are low, speeds are always max and the price is £27.99 a month. Customer support are very helpful and based in Plymouth.

-

EE Fibre+ 79690 | 19999kbps

Zyxel VMG1312-B10A + Asus RT-AC68U
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sat 03-Oct-20 10:12:59
Print Post

[re: MercuryRH2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MercuryRH2:
I’ve has Zen FTTC for a couple of years now. They provide a Fritz! Router although I use me own Draytek hardware. Tech Support is first rate and apart from a bad patch over the summer where their supplier ran into capacity issues in both the London & Manchester hubs - now all resolved - their service has been flawless.

My 80/20 service usually gives 73Mbps/18Mbps day or night with latency around 7ms. I’m 300m from the PCP.

They also guarantee the price you pay won’t increase. I don’t use their phone side, although line rental is through them, as it’s a spare line. I believe on my exchange, the backhaul used is TalkTalk Business. Highly recommend them as an ISP.

Excellent, thank you! The FritzBox was one of the routers I was looking at as it happens.

So I will also consider Zen as well.

Thanks again.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sat 03-Oct-20 10:22:22
Print Post

Excellent thank you wolvesmad

As soon as the service with BT goes back to Analogue PSTN I can start properly looking smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Oct-20 09:06:56
Print Post

You do know that Plusnet is part of BT, but I do think they offer a better service than BT. Most ISPs ones are naff but they do what they are made to do.
Plusnet supplied a ,zyxel VMG8924-B30A to me, but only because I had problems with the connection, the normal router is a BT homehub but without the rubbish like their smart setup, such a pain in the neck.

Why do you want to get a 3rd party router? if you want to muck around with the settings then yes, but if all you want to do is set it up and that is it then most ISP supplied routers are fine for that. the main problem I see is Wi-fi, many people I know have problems with Wi-fi from ISP supplied routers.
Myself I have never really had much of a problem, apart from 5Ghz, as it is rubbish at getting though a wall. best to stay with the older 2.4Ghz.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User gribz
(regular) Sun 04-Oct-20 09:33:39
Print Post

I can highly reccomend Cloudscape (https://www.cloudscapeconnect.com/) been with them for a while now, great personal tech support when needed, but 99% of the time my connection "just works".
Standard User mbames
(committed) Sun 04-Oct-20 10:34:15
Print Post

Apple TV is only on the Ultra fast offering - FTTP, iirc.

I've been with Vodafone FTTC for a couple of years. A few issues early on - local capacity issues, and then the nation wide throttling (firmware on line cards, so they said). But since then it has been great.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10193174806
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16018044612... (upload looks a bit poor today)

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net

Edited by mbames (Sun 04-Oct-20 10:42:20)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 08:26:10
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
You do know that Plusnet is part of BT, but I do think they offer a better service than BT. Most ISPs ones are naff but they do what they are made to do.
Plusnet supplied a ,zyxel VMG8924-B30A to me, but only because I had problems with the connection, the normal router is a BT homehub but without the rubbish like their smart setup, such a pain in the neck.

Why do you want to get a 3rd party router? if you want to muck around with the settings then yes, but if all you want to do is set it up and that is it then most ISP supplied routers are fine for that. the main problem I see is Wi-fi, many people I know have problems with Wi-fi from ISP supplied routers.
Myself I have never really had much of a problem, apart from 5Ghz, as it is rubbish at getting though a wall. best to stay with the older 2.4Ghz.

Yes I am aware that PN are part of the BT Group (and have been for many years), for some that was the start of the demise of PN. My parents use them and have had no issues. I probaby won't use them but they remain a possibility.

Yes I want to fiddle around with the Router settings, and maybe even take advantage of extra features if the Router has them.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 08:27:13
Print Post

[re: gribz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gribz:
I can highly reccomend Cloudscape (https://www.cloudscapeconnect.com/) been with them for a while now, great personal tech support when needed, but 99% of the time my connection "just works".

I shall add them to the list of potential suppliers,

thank you gribz

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 08:29:30
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
Apple TV is only on the Ultra fast offering - FTTP, iirc.

I've been with Vodafone FTTC for a couple of years. A few issues early on - local capacity issues, and then the nation wide throttling (firmware on line cards, so they said). But since then it has been great.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10193174806
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16018044612... (upload looks a bit poor today)

According to Vodafone it's available on Superfast 1 Extra (40/10) and Superfast 2 Extra (80/20) both include line rental and unlimited anytime calls.

My only issue is a 2 year contract!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Oct-20 09:59:01
Print Post

According to Vodafone it's available on Superfast 1 Extra (40/10) and Superfast 2 Extra (80/20) both include line rental and unlimited anytime calls.

No problem you can ask PN to match this but on a 12 months contract (make sure u metion 12 months not 24 months!)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 12:43:48
Print Post

I found that Plusnet would only give a 12-month contract although I wanted 24 months because the fewer renewals the better given their dodgy accounts system which has screwed up every renewal so far. I think the reason as stated on another thread is so that they can catch me with the future round of price increases linked to inflation etc instead of waiting another year until the contract expires.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 13:44:51
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
I found that Plusnet would only give a 12-month contract..

Absolutely not true. I renewed a few weeks ago and my 24 month contract started on 2/10/20.

Absolutely right about the billing system though. My first bill notification has come through without the discount but I'm confident that will be rectified in the near future.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 17:39:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:

No problem you can ask PN to match this but on a 12 months contract (make sure u metion 12 months not 24 months!)

As a new customer?

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Oct-20 17:41:43
Print Post

As a new customer?
Yes

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-20 20:04:46
Print Post

As a new customer?
Yes

If I go with PN I will try that!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User bsg017
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-20 21:32:54
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

I changed from BT with an old HomeHub5 router to Vodaphone with their router and so far I have been very pleased without any need so far to tangle with their support. I got a few Mbs download speed more than BT said was possible and some wifi problems with connecting an Amazon Firestick disappeared. A separate feature which might help some people is that vodaphone do not charge extra for calls to UK mobile numbers on their unlimited telephone calls add-on. I am happy with my ~53Mbs although FTTP is now available to me from BT if I want to join those neighbours who have opted for a higher speed connection.
A minor unexpected bonus was that Vodaphone/BT made the switch in the exchange on the evening before changeover date so there was no hanging around without the Internet.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Oct-20 22:09:51
Print Post

Yes I am aware that PN are part of the BT Group (and have been for many years), for some that was the start of the demise of PN. My parents use them and have had no issues. I probaby won't use them but they remain a possibility.

Yes I want to fiddle around with the Router settings, and maybe even take advantage of extra features if the Router has them.

i would not touch plusnet before, when Metronet was sold to plusnet, I jumped ship, to AOL, maybe jumping out of the pan into fire, but I thought I would give them a try.
It did not work out as the fastest they could give me was 512Kb/s, I had 2.5Mb/s with Metronet. I heard of plusnetawful traffic shaping at the time.

I can not remember who I went with after AOL, but after that I went with a wireless network. It was only when things started playing up with them and by that time FTTC had arrived here that I decided to go back to fixed line broadband. After a bit of a search, I decided to give plusnet a try, even if it was part of BT by then, I have not been a fan of BT for years. Over 5 years later, and I am still with them, so they must be doing something good.

I am not really into mucking around with routers these days, just plug them, and they work, the only thing I do is get rid of the 5GhZ Wi-fi, but I do use ehternet as much as I can, everything that can be connected to Ethernet is, including my printer.
oh, i have set up the guest Wi-fi and set up IP address limits for my devices.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Oct-20 00:03:31
Print Post

Guest wifi?

You have visitors needing that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 07:59:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Guest wifi?

You have visitors needing that?

I have visitors, not as many as I did, but I still have some. Nothing wrong with putting them onto a guest Wi-fi, I don't have to give them my Wi-fi password.

It is available, so may as well use it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 06-Oct-20 08:23:02
Print Post

i would not touch plusnet before, when Metronet was sold to plusnet, I jumped ship, to AOL, maybe jumping out of the pan into fire, but I thought I would give them a try.
It did not work out as the fastest they could give me was 512Kb/s, I had 2.5Mb/s with Metronet. I heard of plusnetawful traffic shaping at the time.

I can not remember who I went with after AOL, but after that I went with a wireless network. It was only when things started playing up with them and by that time FTTC had arrived here that I decided to go back to fixed line broadband. After a bit of a search, I decided to give plusnet a try, even if it was part of BT by then, I have not been a fan of BT for years. Over 5 years later, and I am still with them, so they must be doing something good.

I am not really into mucking around with routers these days, just plug them, and they work, the only thing I do is get rid of the 5GhZ Wi-fi, but I do use ehternet as much as I can, everything that can be connected to Ethernet is, including my printer.
oh, i have set up the guest Wi-fi and set up IP address limits for my devices.

MetroNet was the 1st ADSL ISP I joined when I moved to Manchester with a partner at the time. You had to pay by Debit/Credit Card via a portal and if you forgot to pay you had no internet access except to their payment portal until you had paid!

The changeover date for the product from BT is tomorrow, so I am hoping by Thurs I can use the number checkers online to start getting a proper idea what service I can expect and at what price.

I have previously had a router with a Guest WiFi option and used it! It's better giving people that password than the one for your main WiFi if possible. IMHO

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-20 19:03:53
Print Post

Metronet was one of the better ISPs I have been with, one of the more reliable ones on ADSL. It was a shame that they were sold and now no longer exists.

This is the problem with companies buying ISPs, they merge them, and then they vanish. I am surprised that BT have kept both plusnet and EE going, because there is very little difference between them broadband wise. Mobile phone is a different thing, EE is a network, while Plusnet uses that network for their mobile phone service.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Tue 06-Oct-20 20:52:28
Print Post

I am surprised that BT have kept both plusnet and EE going, because there is very little difference between them broadband wise. Mobile phone is a different thing, EE is a network, while Plusnet uses that network for their mobile phone service.

At the time when they had only just taken over Plusnet, it was about market share. PN products were offered bare bones, as that is all they were worried about.

Unless already knowledge, many don't know that EE and Plusnet are owned by BT. This is better for BT as it increases the chances that someone will see a "competing" offer and signup. There have been posts on here where people have gone from BT to Plusnet, not knowing they are controlled by the same co, although still different networks to a degree at the access layer at least but end result is BT retain the customer in some way.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Oct-20 22:45:46
Print Post

Sounds sensible smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Oct-20 08:01:59
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I like barebones, i remember a mate of mine years ago when we used dial up saying he pays for the internet not for the other services they offer. Those days they used to offer free web space and stuff like that.

I think the same way, all I want is a connection to the internet that is reliable and at a decent price and have a customer service that does something if things go wrong.

If people ask me about EE or Plusnet, I make sure I tell them BT owns them. Plusnet may belong to BT, but they are very different, customer service is far better than BT and I can understand them, most of the time, smile
They also don't stick to a script, or they don't with me anyway, they seem to know a little more.

I have signed up for another 18 months with plusnet, i did look at others, including yours, but plusnet gave me a good offer. We will see what is available next time.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-20 08:28:58
Print Post

Plusnet customer service are the worst now during coronavirus situation as my parents line is fault and raise fault ticket at PN but no ones seem bother to pick up ticket nor forum for 7 days now. Try phoned they can't help because they haven't got the tool to check as all PN staffs are at home (working from at home as they only try to bring new customer who sign up quicker than deal with all their customers with faulty broadband, billing issues in the back long queue!

My parents think ENOUGH now and will move to TalkTalk. They think PN are going downhills lately and no ones seem care to help them.

I will also leaving PN soon as I think my parents are better off join TalkTalk lower budget for their need. Me - maybe moving to TalkTalk, Sky Broadband or Zen Internet ( on G.fast 160/30 from FTTC 80/20)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Thu 08-Oct-20 08:33:16)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 10:09:28
Print Post

Plusnet customer service are the worst now during coronavirus situation as my parents line is fault and raise fault ticket at PN but no ones seem bother to pick up ticket nor forum for 7 days now. Try phoned they can't help because they haven't got the tool to check as all PN staffs are at home (working from at home as they only try to bring new customer who sign up quicker than deal with all their customers with faulty broadband, billing issues in the back long queue!

My parents think ENOUGH now and will move to TalkTalk. They think PN are going downhills lately and no ones seem care to help them.

I will also leaving PN soon as I think my parents are better off join TalkTalk lower budget for their need. Me - maybe moving to TalkTalk, Sky Broadband or Zen Internet ( on G.fast 160/30 from FTTC 80/20)

I am sorry to hear that they are having issues with Plusnet. I for one however wouldn't move to TalkTalk if someone paid me. Sky would be better or one of the smaller outfits.

TalkTalk are cheap for a reason.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-20 10:17:54
Print Post

My parents not happy and want to get out of contract as PN refused to waive their contract as there is no broadband on their line, no dial tone now. PN seem useless as told my parents to raise the fault online, raise the fault on 1st october was told openreach engineer will come on Monday 4 days ago wait all day no engineer and the fault ticket still not picked up since octoner 1st. My dad asked plusnet to written off contract so they can go elsewhere as PN refused it.

PN has gone very bad now they seem don't care about customer anymore but still taking money without broadband. U can see ticket below as they are suppose to reply but not picked it up since!

https://ibb.co/YfM3Bqn

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Thu 08-Oct-20 10:22:53)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-20 10:24:17
Print Post

I am sorry to hear that they are having issues with Plusnet. I for one however wouldn't move to TalkTalk if someone paid me. Sky would be better or one of the smaller outfits.

TalkTalk are cheap for a reason.

Ok I tell them to avoid talktalk. Only Sky or Zen then.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:28:09
Print Post

Don't let the shocking customer service on TalkTalk put you off. I was with them for 2 years on FTTC and they were absolutely rock solid 24/7.

I used my own kit and only had to contact them once. Found their support via the TT forum very helpful.

I'd rather go with TalkTalk than Vodafone.

-

EE Fibre+ 78980 | 19999kbps

Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:08:21
Print Post

Whereas I've been with Vodafone since Jan and my connection has been solid since day one, and the one time I contacted CS, which was to get the DSL username/password so I could use my own router it took all of 2 minutes via chat so no complaints from me.

On the other hand I wouldn't touch TT even if it were free.

Their poor CS aside, the utter incompetence they showed during the "hacking scandal" completely pollutes the brand AFAIAC and wouldn't entrust them with my data under any circumstance...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:29:35
Print Post

Don't let the shocking customer service on TalkTalk put you off. I was with them for 2 years on FTTC and they were absolutely rock solid 24/7.

I used my own kit and only had to contact them once. Found their support via the TT forum very helpful.

I'd rather go with TalkTalk than Vodafone.

Apart from when they can supply the service.
A friend of mine who was put onto ADSL, her fault, but that is another story that is here somewhere, anyway, I put in for an upgrade a few weeks back to FTTC and I thought it went through, but it has not and I have not go around to finding out why yet.
She had an email a couple of weeks ago apologising for not being able to provide the service she required or something like that, and they have given her £25.
As I have only had a coffee with here a couple of times over the last couple of weeks I have not really thought about what it meant.
But thinking about it, it was to compensate for not being able to provide FTTC.
I will have to get the user name and password from my friend of her account, so I can get in touch with the and see. There was FTTC at the address before, supplied by Talk talk, so the only thing I can think of is that the cabinet filled up quickly.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:35:02
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
Whereas I've been with Vodafone since Jan and my connection has been solid since day one, and the one time I contacted CS, which was to get the DSL username/password so I could use my own router it took all of 2 minutes via chat so no complaints from me.

On the other hand I wouldn't touch TT even if it were free.

Their poor CS aside, the utter incompetence they showed during the "hacking scandal" completely pollutes the brand AFAIAC and wouldn't entrust them with my data under any circumstance...

And yet now the person who ran Talk Talk at the time is now in charge of the track and trace system in the U.K, who would have thought it smile

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:46:32
Print Post

I know you 💗 bashing TalkTalk but their network is rock solid. Been with both their residential and business services on ADSL2+, FTTC and now FTTP and never had any issues with their service. TTR’s phone support isn’t the best but any issues can be resolved by their uk based staff on their forums. If they were really as bad as you always like to tell us, then they wouldn’t have around 4 million customers. And believe me, people will always leave an ISP in droves if their actual service is poor....remember Orange LLU around 2009?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 18-Oct-20 16:07:09
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Zyborg is well known (different user names) on other forums, he hates TT, Microsoft/W10, contactless payment cards, loyalty cards and thinks he's been spied on and tracked 24/7 and is just stuck in a groove repeating the same old nonsense.

Plus one vote from me for TT, rock solid connection for years.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 18:54:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
I know you 💗 bashing TalkTalk but their network is rock solid. Been with both their residential and business services on ADSL2+, FTTC and now FTTP and never had any issues with their service. TTR’s phone support isn’t the best but any issues can be resolved by their uk based staff on their forums. If they were really as bad as you always like to tell us, then they wouldn’t have around 4 million customers. And believe me, people will always leave an ISP in droves if their actual service is poor....remember Orange LLU around 2009?

I am not bashing Talk Talk, I am bashing the person who was running it at the time.

People will stay with them because they are cheap and some people do not realise they are getting a bad service, they may think what they are getting is normal.
But saying that, their FTTC service seems to be far better than their ADSL service, I know people who went from Talk Talk ADSL to their FTTC service and it is fine.

When I was thinking of changing from Plusnet a few months back, even I looked at Talk Talk, but I just could not make the jump, I am glad I did not as I got a better deal from plusnet.
but as i said I was not bashing Talk Talk.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 18-Oct-20 18:55:55
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

As are you for immediately coming to their defence whenever anyones even remotely negative about them...
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:26:19
Print Post

Well I am sure everyone will have differing experiences of their ISP's.

To update anyone interested, I am still "stuck" with BT and not going anywhere fast because "someone" (probably Openreach) scewed up the move from DV to PSTN and now I have no landline and no FTTC service. I am stuck using their 4G Mini Hub.

As of tomorrow it will be 7 days of no service, and 14 since the changeover was supposed to happen. Understandbly I am fuming!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-20 23:19:20
Print Post

Re: Leaving BT but who to go to? *DELETED*

Post deleted by jamie1985
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-20 23:22:55
Print Post

I would be fuming to if i had to wait that long.

and covid is not helping with things either.

Hopefully you get this mess sorted out sooner rather than later frown

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Oct-20 09:40:18
Print Post

That is rubbish and they need to sort it out.
I would not be happy either.
This is the main problem with not being able to get in touch with open reach, you have to take your provider word for everything.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 06-Nov-20 09:05:43
Print Post

Just in case anyone was remotely interested I STILL don't have any service from BT.

Over 2 weeks now on a 4G WiFi MiniHub!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Nov-20 09:49:50
Print Post

Which ISP did you go with in the end?

-

EE Fibre+ 78980 | 19999kbps

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 06-Nov-20 10:53:18
Print Post

I haven't because of BT's issue I am still stuck with BT, with no service!

Basically an order to move me from Digital Voice to PSTN is stuck, without the move I can't move providers.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 12-Nov-20 14:39:46
Print Post

Situation with NO internet now resolved.

It's likely to be either IDNet (very impressed with their knowledge) or Pulse8 (great call to them on Tuesday very knowledgable)

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Nov-20 16:42:02
Print Post

Both will be fine from my personal experience. Pulse 8 will be a tad cheaper but put you on a TTw MPF connection, whereas IDNet will put you on a SMPF connection. There will be significant migration costs if you want to move back to having SMPF and a BTw phone line.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 12-Nov-20 17:35:05
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Both will be fine from my personal experience. Pulse 8 will be a tad cheaper but put you on a TTw MPF connection, whereas IDNet will put you on a SMPF connection. There will be significant migration costs if you want to move back to having SMPF and a BTw phone line.

Hi jaydub

Just to clarify, if I go Pulse8 it's TT (I assume TalkTalk) Wholesale, but IDNet it's BTWholesale?

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Nov-20 18:03:00
Print Post

TalkTalk Business Wholesale. A very different beastie from TalkTalk Retail.

========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 12-Nov-20 18:18:46
Print Post

I did wonder.

Yes I have heard many things about TT Business as opposed to Retail.

Oddly I was just discussing TTB with a friend who's looking to leave BT and move his Business connection!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Nov-20 18:44:46
Print Post

"Most FTTC Migrations are free of charge. For new connections and transfers from full LLU (Sky / Talk Talk) or Cable (Virgin Media) there is a combined activation charge of £75.00. See our price list for full details. FTTC connections are subject to a 1 month contract." - IDNet

So should be OK when coming from BT retail. Is that a TTB FTTC broadband and BTw line rental (SMPF) deal?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Nov-20 18:44:55
Print Post

Hi jaydub

Just to clarify, if I go Pulse8 it's TT (I assume TalkTalk) Wholesale, but IDNet it's BTWholesale?

Pulse 8 is Talk Talk Wholesale and is Metal Path Facility connection where the broadband and phone services are bound together.

As far as i know IDNet still use TTw, BTw and Zen for their backhaul connections. At one stage the default was Zen, but I've no idea whether that is still the case or indeed whether they are still using Zen. The main difference is that it is a Shared Metal Path Facility connection, so your phone line can be on BTw, but your broadband on TTw or Zen. This does make migration away much easier so a definite plus for IDNet.

IDNet support has been brilliant for me, as they have swapped me from TTw to Zen and finally to BTw to resolve inconsistent single thread speeds; Pulse8 struggled to get TTw's attention when I had significant single thread speed problems with them, but did eventually get it sorted thanks to Adam mithering them. My BTw connection has been absolutely rock solid for the last 2.5 years with teh single thread and multi thread speeds matching on the TBB speed test.

If you pay for an annual contract you pay get one month free, however you do have to pay it all up front. This is what I am doing and I am only paying ~£4 more a month than I would with Pulse8.

I think the difference is worth it, but YMMV.

One other choice you might want to consider is going to TT Business who are offering some very favourable deals at the moment. The downside is that you are taking out a 24 month contract with TTB, whereas Pulse8 and IDNet are 1 month rolling contracts. Not sure I can bring myself to commit for that length of time, but there are significant savings to be had, so worth a think.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Nov-20 18:55:38
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
"Most FTTC Migrations are free of charge. For new connections and transfers from full LLU (Sky / Talk Talk) or Cable (Virgin Media) there is a combined activation charge of £75.00. See our price list for full details. FTTC connections are subject to a 1 month contract." - IDNet

So should be OK when coming from BT retail. Is that a TTB FTTC broadband and BTw line rental (SMPF) deal?

Coming from BTw there will be no FTTC migration charge. When I was leaving Pulse8 and enquired, I would have copped for the £75 migration charge. I ended up migrating to another provider as an interim measure to soften the blow (still £50) and then onto IDNet. Much better in my book to keep your phone line with BTw, which is why I have a very strong preference for SMPF offerings.

In terms of what the current IDNet offering is, CJT will need to check. When I joined them 3 years ago, there was no problem with me requesting a BTw phone line with a TTw FTTC connection. As it turned out, it didn't prove the best choice for me, but we all live and learn.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Nov-20 19:11:38
Print Post

In terms of what the current IDNet offering is, CJT will need to check.

Looks like it could be FTTC SMPF when IDNet are saying that migrations from full LLU (MPF) FTTC involve a charge. IDNet looks pretty good if a SMPF TTB migration is offered and thus keep the landline with BTw smile
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 12-Nov-20 22:46:47
Print Post

One other choice you might want to consider is going to TT Business who are offering some very favourable deals at the moment. The downside is that you are taking out a 24 month contract with TTB, whereas Pulse8 and IDNet are 1 month rolling contracts. Not sure I can bring myself to commit for that length of time, but there are significant savings to be had, so worth a think.

Thanks for the clarification. I will of course be ringing IDNet,Pluse8 and potentially Uno (who are on here) just to clarify any charges or potential issues before making the final choice. Also my landline is still not accepting incoming calls, so I need to wait for that (been told it should be resolved tonight)

FYI - Regarding the quote above from TTB's own site I noticed this - 12/18-month contracts available - call - and then they quote a number - so they DO have 12/18 m contracts smile

Just thinking do I have to be a business to have a business connection? As their offer IS quite impressive. As I mentioned to RobertoS ironically I was looking at them for a friend who needs to move from BT Business in the near future.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Nov-20 23:02:20
Print Post

FYI - Regarding the quote above from TTB's own site I noticed this - 12/18-month contracts available - call - and then they quote a number - so they DO have 12/18 m contracts smile

You are correct. They didn't last time I looked, but do now. The 12/18/24 month options for FTTC are listed here. Just remember these are business prices so don't include VAT, so you need to add on 20% (as you will with Uno as well)

Just thinking do I have to be a business to have a business connection?

No, you don't. Thay are quite happy to supply private lines.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 13-Nov-20 08:36:36
Print Post

Good Morning jaydub,

Thank you for that link, that saves me calling TT Business, even for my friend (as I was going to ask for their 12 m costs).

I shall be spending some of today working out my options smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-20 03:14:03
Print Post

How are you getting on with your thoughts? @CJT

Zen > AAISP Home::1 1TB > BT Infinity 2 > Sky Fibre Max
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-20 08:19:22
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
How are you getting on with your thoughts? @CJT

Good Morning LadFromWales85 I am 95% sure I will go with IDNet I need to have a quick chat with them over install dates/times as I WFH and therefore need the install date to be a day I will not be working.

At present though Openreach fixed the FTTC, the telephone is still partly out of action. Awaiting a call today from BT to update me!

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 17-Nov-20 10:02:44
Print Post

If you're going to be working from home, why not take out a business grade service (eg with TalkTalk Business) where you get a better SLA wrt fix times? Unless you've chosen a business offering with IDNet rather than one of their residential services?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-20 12:27:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
If you're going to be working from home, why not take out a business grade service (eg with TalkTalk Business) where you get a better SLA wrt fix times? Unless you've chosen a business offering with IDNet rather than one of their residential services?

That's a very very good question, and tbh has one simple answer. Because I had no idea that BT would be able to screw up something SO simple as a product transfer! However I have learnt a valuable lesson, and that's never use BT again!

I hadn't at the time considered a business service but now you mention it, I will keep it in mind.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 04:31:51
Print Post

IDNet seem quite expensive once you add the VAT, though I thought all of IDNet packages were business class?

What care level do Talk Talk Business apply on PSTN? Level 2?

I'll certainly be considering them if level 2 is included in the £27 odd Inc VAT per month!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Nov-20 10:30:31
Print Post

Pulse8 are all (that I have checked) Business Level 2. Click the "i" symbol. 48-hour target.

========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 17:25:56
Print Post

IDNet seem quite expensive once you add the VAT, though I thought all of IDNet packages were business class?

What care level do Talk Talk Business apply on PSTN? Level 2?

I'll certainly be considering them if level 2 is included in the £27 odd Inc VAT per month!

Checking IDNet I get this:

SuperFast Plus

FTTC

Downstream : 76.21Mbit/s to 80Mbit/s
Upstream : 19Mbit/s to 20Mbit/s

Enhanced Care Level

Line Rental Included

£60.00 Per Month

That's a LOT of cash!

Can't seem to find what level TTV provides online.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 17:29:57
Print Post

Pulse8 are all (that I have checked) Business Level 2. Click the "i" symbol. 48-hour target.

According to: https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/fibreoptic-packages?ty...

P8Ultimate Biz Fibre
Faster Highest Priority Managed Business Grade (Care Level 3 - 24hr target fix) Line and Fibre (F.T.T.C.) with up to 76Mbps down / 20Mbps upload speeds with no throttling and Unlimited monthly data usage for £36.25 + V.A.T.

Looks interesting!

Need to ring IDNet tomorrow to check on provisioning, as I cannot have it go live when I am working (I work part time) so it has to be one of my days off. I'll ring Pluse8 to check on the above as well smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-20 18:38:43
Print Post

IDNet are very competent. Problems (rare!) are resolved within a reasonable timescale. Even if it takes a while you never get the feeling that you're being fobbed off. You get what you pay for wink

(I returned to IDNet severa years ago after a couple of years with PN but don't have any other affiliation with them).

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User nobodylovesme
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-20 21:26:04
Print Post

I thought that switching to a business broadband package would be better and tried this a few years ago with BT. Business partly because we were having line issues and thought a business package might carry some more clout on getting it fixed. But I was so wrong, If I called BT residential in the evening when I get home from work they would answer and be able to help, but try calling BT business after 6pm for tech support and they tell you to call back during office hours which was laughable. I would regularly call during the day and if the line is busy it automatically diverts to the residential line. They then have to transfer you back as they cannot help. I found the line speed was exactly the same as by previous residential BT line at the same property, so switched back in the end. We are due to switch to ZEN next week and cannot wait, they sound very promising. Less people complaining https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/broadband-reviews/zen which is always a good start. I take a lot of the reviews with a pinch of salt. TalkTalk is the only provider that I have used before that I would never recommend. Technical staff seem to have very little knowledge about what they are selling or trying to fix. Other than we will send you a new router.. (mini-rant over)
(experienced) Wed 18-Nov-20 22:49:31
Print Post

At £60 I'd rather go with AAISP personally. Whatever the level of PSTN care they use, I have never had trouble getting my line fixed within a reasonable time frame. I can't "fault" them enough for dealing with line issues.

I was set on Zen when I looked a few months ago, but am now considering Pulse 8, IDNet, Talk Talk Business also. I am looking to not be tied down for too long as I'll certainly be looking at moving within the 24 month time frame of the TTB contract (I need to ring them to see if they have any black friday deals on shorter terms).

I am happy to pay a little more to have higher than the basic care level for the PSTN, just for a more prompt fix for faults, should they ever occur.

I am currently paying £40.50 for BT 80/20, and besides having a dynamic IP, I haven't been able to fault it to be honest!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:18:28
Print Post

Just for clarity I have not suggested I would move to any Business service, it was suggested as an option by one of the members on here.

My options for Residential remain at IDNet, Pulse8 and UNO.

Will be making a few calls today to ask some pertinent questions to all of them.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:20:25
Print Post

At £60 I'd rather go with AAISP personally. Whatever the level of PSTN care they use, I have never had trouble getting my line fixed within a reasonable time frame. I can't "fault" them enough for dealing with line issues.

For £60 I may as well stay with BT as that's basically what I am paying out of contract, but that's not my point. I am leaving BT because they are incompetent.

My preference is to remain on a Residential contract with a decent/reliable provider

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 08:21:29
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
IDNet are very competent. Problems (rare!) are resolved within a reasonable timescale. Even if it takes a while you never get the feeling that you're being fobbed off. You get what you pay for wink

(I returned to IDNet severa years ago after a couple of years with PN but don't have any other affiliation with them).

Thank you Andrue your input is also appreciated smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User nobodylovesme
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 09:28:55
Print Post

Good luck with the switch, never heard of IDNet, Pulse8 or UNO. So not sure which one is better. But suspect you are more likely to get knowledgeable caring support from a smaller independent ISP. Partly my reason for switching to ZEN.
Standard User TheFuzzyOne87
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 10:00:19
Print Post

Been reading this thread it was most interesting, so interesting that I decided to register just to reply! smile

For what it's worth:

Sky - Used them for 7 years rock solid, had my phone line cut outside by builders, spoke to Sky via chat, Openreach turned up the next day to replace the phone line and I didn't get charged for this. Jitter was very consistent, not sure how it would look with the current situation with so many people working from home. I only left them purely because for the same price I could get 350mbps download speeds from Virgin Media (there was an offer).

Virgin Media - Been with them for just over a year (notice given), absolutely terrible, jitter is horrific, amount of packet loss is crazy, customer services are useless, their 'technical' support is hopeless, their complaints department is useless, in summary don't waste your time with them, the only reason I went with them was for the download speeds, it wasn't worth the lack of stability, I had 8 days in a row of 'blips' while trying to work which was the final straw. Provided router is terrible (Super Hub 3), lacks alot of configurable things used it in Modem Mode only.

Virgin Media BQM

Vodafone - Had this for 7 days, so far so good, it's still in it's testing phase so DLM is still checking my line out, download speed is increasing with each 'blip' (overnight), a few spikes of jitter but nothing noticable in comparison to Virgin Media. The provided router is surprisingly good, the information provided from line stats etc is quite detailed for a ISP provided router. Easy to get credentials to allow you to use your own Modem/Router from Customer Services Chat. 24 month contract for £23.50 a month.

Vodafone BQM

Zen - Had this for 3 days, it's still in it's testing phase so DLM is still checking my line out, download speed is increasing with each 'blip' (overnight), a few spikes of jitter but nothing as bad as with Virgin Media, the supplied router is good, a FRITZ!Box 7530, it's a feature rich configurable router, line stats information is quite detailed, static IP, 12 month contract for £34.99 (setup not included) & LIFETIME PRICE GUARANTEE - You’ll keep the same monthly price on your monthly bundle when your contract ends.

Zen BQM
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:03:10
Print Post

[re: TheFuzzyOne87] [link to this post]

Good Morning TheFuzzyOne87

I really appreciate you signing up just to reply.

I feel it's only fair I should reply to you based on your reply.

Sky - Worked in Technical Support for them previously, had a line with NowTV (subsidary service) wouldn't go back to them, as want to use own hardware and they do not happily support it.

Virgin Media - One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, poor customer service and network locally.

Vodafone - Looks ot be very promising, except they want you to sign up for 24 months, not prepared to comit for that long!

Zen - Great ISP based in Rochdale, once almost applied to work for them, has been a contender, could still be in fairness! Never been with them before.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User TheFuzzyOne87
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:19:34
Print Post

Thanks for replying back lol

Sky - Yeah, it was a bit of faffing around to get my own modem & router working, (TCP Dump).

Virgin Media - Couldn't agree more.

Vodafone - Yeah I was reluctant to go with them but it was a cheap option and if it turns out to be a good service I will be happy for the price to stay the same for 2 years.

Zen - Been eyeing them up for years and since I had such a bad experience with Virgin Media I thought I would give them a shot, I liked the idea of having a static IP too, reviews seem to be quite positive about them too, UK based customer support is a plus. Only thing I can fault so far is the fact you have to phone in to them to order the service, seems very old school in that sense but was pretty painfree for me, well apart from my order getting lost in their system as they just changed billing software (apparently), ordered on Friday wasn't processed until the Wednesday, wasn't the end of the world really.

The cost of having both Vodafone & Zen is still cheaper than having Virgin Media for me. The idea is I will use both ISP's at the same time by load-balancing traffic across both, whether its based on applications or just tcp/udp sessions is yet to be decided, once the DLM testing completes on both ISP's I can then start testing out both scenarios to see if works well, if it doesn't then I will just have a main and backup connection lol.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:23:26
Print Post

My post about the Level 2 support at Pulse8 was re the Home product. The more expensive Business one does have Level 3, as you say, those levels in effect being the contracted Openreach response times AIUI.

(They seem to have altered the website in the last few days to have them both on the same page. I hadn't seen the current layout smile).

========================
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 11:42:04
Print Post

My post about the Level 2 support at Pulse8 was re the Home product. The more expensive Business one does have Level 3, as you say, those levels in effect being the contracted Openreach response times AIUI.

(They seem to have altered the website in the last few days to have them both on the same page. I hadn't seen the current layout smile).

I was only thinking of Home I can't see I need Business, as far as I can tell this issue is down to BT/Openreach and the DV service.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-20 16:57:30
Print Post

Seems to me that Pulse8 might be your best choice for FTTC and line rental: cost is reasonable, no activation fee for an existing FTTC enabled line, one month minimum term, etc. Downside might be the resold TTB MPF aspect of the deal.

For example, with a migration to uno you could keep your line with BTw but overall it would be more expensive and on a 12 months minimum term. However uno's customer support is very good - from my experience tickets are responded to very effectively and promptly.

If you do go with Pulse8 it would be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the migration etc.

Best of luck.

Edited by 4M2 (Thu 19-Nov-20 17:00:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-20 18:19:06
Print Post

I was only thinking of Home I can't see I need Business, as far as I can tell this issue is down to BT/Openreach and the DV service.
I was referring to:
P8Ultimate Biz Fibre
Faster Highest Priority Managed Business Grade (Care Level 3 - 24hr target fix) Line and Fibre (F.T.T.C.) with up to 76Mbps down / 20Mbps upload speeds with no throttling and Unlimited monthly data usage for £36.25 + V.A.T.

Looks interesting!
That is the Business product, rather than the Home product. Hence the "Biz". Except they have now amalgamated them onto the same page smile.

There's nothing to stop you ordering it if you wish, of course.

========================
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-20 20:11:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Seems to me that Pulse8 might be your best choice for FTTC and line rental: cost is reasonable, no activation fee for an existing FTTC enabled line, one month minimum term, etc. Downside might be the resold TTB MPF aspect of the deal.

For example, with a migration to uno you could keep your line with BTw but overall it would be more expensive and on a 12 months minimum term. However uno's customer support is very good - from my experience tickets are responded to very effectively and promptly.

If you do go with Pulse8 it would be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the migration etc.

Best of luck.

Hello 4M2

Regarding UNO I have also noticed they charge a £12 fee to migrate to them, which neither IDNet nor Pulse8 charge.

Sadly due to circs beyond my control I wasn't able to ring any of the providers today, so that's hopefully a job for tomorrow smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:31:50
Print Post

Hello 4M2

Regarding UNO I have also noticed they charge a £12 fee to migrate to them, which neither IDNet nor Pulse8 charge.

Sadly due to circs beyond my control I wasn't able to ring any of the providers today, so that's hopefully a job for tomorrow smile

Best of luck with your inquires - looks like IDNet do a BTw FTTC and line rental package since they charge a LLU (Talk Talk / Sky) Transfer of £50.00 (maybe that's just for ADSL?). That's probably not of any relevance to you because I believe you are currently with BT retail for broadband and line rental. Perhaps it's something to bear in mind if you wish to switch between providers in the near future by taking one month minimum term deals.
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-20 01:24:06
Print Post

I'm not sure if I'm missing something with Uno, as on a 1 month contract with line rental I am getting a total of £54.46 with VAT per month.

When AAISP are only 56 pence per month extra and provide level 2 PSTN care as standard.

I would rather keep the PSTN side with BT or WLR3 as has been discussed above, moving back to BT from MPF can cost a lot sometimes. IIRC Uno don't support this kind of move, or at least they didn't when I enquired with them a couple years ago about another premises.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Nov-20 01:09:10
Print Post

You may be missing the fact that line rental with AAISP does not provide PSTN phone services. Not just no call packages, but no incoming or outgoing calls at all.

You have to use VOIP from them or some other supplier if you want a phone service with them. If you don't want one, or only ever use your mobile, that's fine.

========================
(experienced) Sun 22-Nov-20 12:57:18
Print Post

Interesting post, Bob, giving another example of the bargain which isn't! A relative moving to a few miles outside Oxford finds there is no mobile cover and no fibre available, but as he works from home he is glad to sign up with a cable company and use VOIP.

We've just discovered that Vonage charges £10.25 for its basic UK package, plus 10p/min for calls to mobiles. Adding everything up he expects to pay more than his present FTTC. I stress we're happy to pay for an appropriate service and companies have to make a profit, but as you say consumers should do their research first especially if they're on a tight budget.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Nov-20 13:22:19
Print Post

Interesting post, Bob, giving another example of the bargain which isn't! A relative moving to a few miles outside Oxford finds there is no mobile cover and no fibre available, but as he works from home he is glad to sign up with a cable company and use VOIP.

I advised a colleague whom had a similar no mobile coverage issue, but was able to get a good broadband service (this was a fixed wireless provider).

They were able to move mobile provider to one that provided "WiFi Calling" and since then the mobile works at home as normal.

Maybe another option?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 22-Nov-20 13:49:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
They were able to move mobile provider to one that provided "WiFi Calling" and since then the mobile works at home as normal.

Maybe another option?

Bear in mind that some network providers only enable WiFi calling on a limited range of handsets (usually bought through their shop at inflated prices or contract charges) so definitely "try before you buy".

Edited by GonePostal (Sun 22-Nov-20 13:49:48)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Nov-20 15:25:42
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Bear in mind that some network providers only enable WiFi calling on a limited range of handsets (usually bought through their shop at inflated prices or contract charges) so definitely "try before you buy".

With Android there have been issues, but I know on EE and similarly on Three, almost all handsets now have these network settings built in. Some networks (looking at O2 and Vodafone) did in the past require their custom software. None of that was a problem on iPhone devices.

The alternate, virtual networks, such as Smarty, Voxi, Plusnet, haven't supported WiFi calling, and enterprise plans on all networks will have different approaches.

I believe Three is fairly unique in supporting WiFi calling on PAYG.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 22-Nov-20 17:02:08
Print Post

We've just discovered that Vonage charges £10.25 for its basic UK package, plus 10p/min for calls to mobiles. Adding everything up he expects to pay more than his present FTTC. I stress we're happy to pay for an appropriate service and companies have to make a profit, but as you say consumers should do their research first especially if they're on a tight budget.

What is their "basic" UK package? I use SipGate Basic (with a UK calling plan inc Mobile) and it's £10 per month for the call plan, otherwise NO charge per month for the number or the service.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 03:54:42
Print Post

Yes I am aware that AAISP do not allow incoming or outgoing calls. I pay £1.20 for a couple of SIP numbers from them but make very few calls. They are mainly so I have a local number to give to companies that insist on non mobile numbers.

I'm looking at IDNet with their SOGEA option and will be giving them a call later to make some enquiries, like which backhaul I'll be supplied with, cost of disconnecting if/when I move, if any extra cost to switch back to a supplier with normal functioning PSTN, and a few others if I can think of them!

(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 11:13:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

@jchamier
Thank you, that's the answer! They are with EE and everything works as you suggest.

@CJT
That's interesting, Sipgate is much cheaper. Vonage UK calls package is £10.25pm plus 10p/min for mobiles as stated. Also offer international packages and mobile addon for both.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 12:33:35
Print Post

@CJT
That's interesting, Sipgate is much cheaper. Vonage UK calls package is £10.25pm plus 10p/min for mobiles as stated. Also offer international packages and mobile addon for both.

Packages are as follows:
UK Call Package - £9.95, Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles.

EU Call Package - £14.95 - Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles, Call Package for UK phone calls and Call Package for 28 EU countries

EU Plus - £19.95 - Monthly contract, Calls to landlines and mobiles, Call Package for UK phone calls, Call Package for 28 EU countries incl. 8 additional non-EU countries.

I hope this helps.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 15:58:10
Print Post

How about Now Broadband, £24 for 80/20 with free UK and mobile calls, 12 month with 1 month option.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 18:55:08
Print Post

How about Now Broadband, £24 for 80/20 with free UK and mobile calls, 12 month with 1 month option.

Been with Now Broadband before, so wanting to give a smaller operator a chance.

Price isn't the main factor here.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Tue 24-Nov-20 11:06:05
Print Post

Those counting the pennies should note that this very attractive deal appears to be for 12 months only, after which you will have to negotiate away a very hefty price rise or switch to another ISP. Given the problems such switching can cause even before Covid etc I'd be reluctant to take this course especially if I was working from home and dependent on my BB.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Nov-20 11:08:54
Print Post

I think you are forgetting the fairly recent Ofcom requirement for recontracting customers to be offered similar or better terms than new customers.

========================
(experienced) Tue 24-Nov-20 11:11:16
Print Post

Just quoting from their current T&Cs, Bob, and being a grumpy old git I don't trust any of 'em frown
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 09:03:26
Print Post

Good Morning All,

Having got throughly fed up with BT, who still haven't fixed my landline, I have this morning placed an order with Pulse8 Broadband.

Now to wait and see how the migration goes!

Fingers Crossed.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 11:40:40
Print Post

Which package did you go for? They do look good, and only a 1 month contract!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 14:07:24
Print Post

Which package did you go for? They do look good, and only a 1 month contract!

I went with Ultimate Home Fibre @ £33.00 per month plus a Static IP @ £2.00 per month, total £35.00

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 15:58:51
Print Post

Exactly what I'm looking at! Was going to call TTB up about 12m contract but I think this will do! Moving from BT also.

Sure I looked at them previously, must have missed that plan!

Standard User Thinker27
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-20 00:45:13
Print Post

It may be going too far to say there is an Ofcom "requirement" that ISPs should offer recontracting customers the same prices as new customers. It is more an "encouragement", but certainly some of the big providers have agreed to do so. There was an update from Ofcom on 28 July 2020 in which the relevant sentence is: "EE and Plusnet have also now joined BT, Sky and TalkTalk in deciding to give all existing customers access to new customer prices."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 12:27:36
Print Post

So what is the out of contract price?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-20 12:34:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So what is the out of contract price?

My plan went from £35 to £59.75

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-20 12:54:05
Print Post

Looks like 80/20 is now £24 per month for 12 months (including anytime calls) and out of contract price is £35 per month (not including anytime calls, that is £8 extra if still required).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 13:08:11
Print Post

On NOWTV?

Unless you had both Sky Movies and Entertainment don't see how price could be that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-20 15:22:04
Print Post

Can't remember now but it was at least 35% more expensive. As so often said, suppliers from insurance to BB try it on every renewal in the hope that customers won't notice.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-20 17:05:32
Print Post

On BT Mr S.

Have been with them for a while.

Now TV were before them.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-20 17:06:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Looks like 80/20 is now £24 per month for 12 months (including anytime calls) and out of contract price is £35 per month (not including anytime calls, that is £8 extra if still required).

For what sorry?

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 23:26:37
Print Post

The 80/20 NOW TV is £35/m standard price and a further £8/m if you retain the Anytime Calls bundle

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to