General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steve195527
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 17:29:51
Print Post

Re: Zen vs Virgin

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

to the point it comes into your house/premises,then there is about 5ft of what could be coax or fibre,never taken things apart to check but is really stiff stuff,does the bt version of fttp carry fibre through to the router?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Nov-20 18:18:39
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

You are getting too technical there. Possibly caused by the "shorthand" way we refer to xDSL modem/routers as simply "routers".

BT Openreach fibre carries on into the inside of the premises where it ends up in a wall-mounted ONT (Optical Network Terminator). You can think of that as the replacement for an xDSL modem. The current ones then output via a single ethernet socket using standard ethernet cables of suitable speed capability to go to your true router+switch+WAP that we also shortcut-call a router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 09-Nov-20 18:20:13)

Standard User NotaJock
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-21 13:00:04
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Followed this old thread with interest, if not complete technical understanding -
If anyone cares to comment on my situation, I'd love to hear from you.

Q: Will I notice a big change if I ditch cable (Virgin 100M) and go back to Zen over POTS?

My postcode (centre of Edinburgh) is reporting that the best Zen could do for me is 15mbs.
That sounds awfully narrow, compared to my usual (Speedtest) figure of 220mbs / Ping 6ms / Jitter 5.2ms.
And we still get Zoom occasionally telling us, "your internet connection is unstable." and dropping links.

Usage: we're just a couple here, using Netflix, a lot of Zoom, no gaming or UHD TV.
One mac uses Ethernet connection, everything else uses wifi, which of course throttles the Speedtest flow right down to 20mbs.
As Virgin prices creep - or jump up inexorably- am I paying for more than I need?
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ft247
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-21 13:31:00
Print Post

[re: NotaJock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NotaJock:
My postcode (centre of Edinburgh) is reporting that the best Zen could do for me is 15mbs.

City centre Edinburgh is a pain - the central Rose St exchange area only has FTTC on the outskirts so that 15Mbit is ADSL2+.

The problem with ADSL2+ is the upload speed, I wouldn't recommend changing in this case.

Cityfibre have built a lot, in the city centre there are only business connections to be had as far as I know... but hold out, maybe the Vodafone partnership will bring a consumer service to you, or Openreach FTTP will get there first.
Standard User NotaJock
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-21 13:55:40
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

That's really helpful. Many thanks. Good to know the reason for the lack of alternatives.

Now to not let on to Virgin they are my only option when I try to negotiate a lower price...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to