General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steve195527
(member) Sun 08-Nov-20 19:43:57
Print Post

Re: Zen vs Virgin

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I moved from idnet fttc to virgin when they installed it round here,2 yrs ago and have had only 1 issue with the broadband since then,think it was an almost nationwide issue so the service is very reliable,if yours is a new area it will be fttp and not the last few metres coax as in the old virgin installations so will be as good I assume,the only reason I moved was the price sky wanted to start charging for my tv package,nothing to do with service from idnet,which was 1st class but the package of tv+broadband+ phone with call package was over £30/month cheaper and tv package was far better and on the 350mb service I still get over 380mb with very low pings around 8-10 ms
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Sun 08-Nov-20 21:22:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If a gamer you will want to keep the Zen connection for actual gaming and use the Virgin one for the large downloads of patches.

I do have a dual WAN router in my parts box so that would definitely be an option. I will just have to route the traffic accordingly smile

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max > ZeN Fibre 2 - 11ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.2Mbps - My Broadband Ping
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Sun 08-Nov-20 21:23:42
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

Its definitely fibre and not coax as I saw them putting it in the ground this week...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max > ZeN Fibre 2 - 11ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.2Mbps - My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-20 08:42:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Not sure what you are pinging there, but it could be a core router that is ignoring pings and getting on with routing traffic. You can't measure performance of an enterprise router by pinging it.

Sure you can, a router should have enough CPU to perform both duties. It's a classic example of under specfying hardware and it's happening more and more as the bean counters get their teeth into network design.
Standard User jamescr
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-20 08:53:20
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

I started off on Virgin, and got Zen as a second connection (300mbit virgin, and I get about 60 on Zen). I've now cancelled Virgin. I can still stream 4K on Zen, I get less jitter and less random outages. For working from home, even though there's a lower headline speed I find Zen more consistent and I very rarely miss the higher download speeds. I also don't game so latency isn't really a factor for me.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-20 11:25:07
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steve195527:
if yours is a new area it will be fttp and not the last few metres coax as in the old virgin installations

Are you saying it’s now RFoG all the way to the customers router in some Virgin areas?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 12:05:20
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Skilty:
Its definitely fibre and not coax as I saw them putting it in the ground this week...

Its fibre to a termination point on your house, then they use a media converter to convert to coaxial.
This is because they use RFoG and still supply a cable modem to their fibre customers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-20 12:50:10
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
Its fibre to a termination point on your house, then they use a media converter to convert to coaxial.
This is because they use RFoG and still supply a cable modem to their fibre customers.
And the TV box is expecting coax. Not cost effective to redesign the TV system for the new areas.

Do we know how the fibre is deployed, is it a GPON deployment, or another method?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RapsterUK
(learned) Mon 09-Nov-20 15:50:45
Print Post

And the TV box is expecting coax. Not cost effective to redesign the TV system for the new areas.

Do we know how the fibre is deployed, is it a GPON deployment, or another method?

I presume witchcraft but then again I'm not an expert like some on here.
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 16:17:16
Print Post

[re: RapsterUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RapsterUK:

I presume witchcraft but then again I'm not an expert like some on here.

I believe it is deployed using RFoG over EPON
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to