General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 10-Dec-20 10:01:31
Print Post

FTTC - which backhaul/provider

[link to this post]

I've just moved and do not have access to Virgin Media (I used to have 1 Gbps), and 4G is a little flakey (varies quite a lot 15-70, but typically around 35, but some glitches despite moving around house -- very different to temp accom where I got a consistent > 120 Mbps

So I'm looking to FTTC as the only viable option.

I work in IT and at home a lot (even before covid) so do value decent stability. And I'm fairly fussy

My exchange (Hove - SDHV) has LLU from sky, talktalk, vodafone & zen

Before I get into providers, would anyone care to comment on the relative likelihood of these providers to keep up with demand and avoid backhaul induced latency -- as a very general point. Or has it got to the point it's much of a muchness these days.

Due to size I might expect BT to be quickest on the case, and zen the slowest (smallest), but then zen's value prop is slightly more premium? the others - no idea!

Then I can get into thinking about ISPs. No point having a fast car if there's roadworks smile
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 10-Dec-20 10:03:36
Print Post

Re: FTTC - which backhaul/provider

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Additionally, do they differ in terms of stabilization approach. It's been a fair few years since I've used FTTC and I remember once being stuck on adapted line via BT that I swear was underperforming, but no way to reset.

Do the other LLU operators (and/or ISPs) have a more flexible approach?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Dec-20 10:34:23
Print Post

Zen / Vodafone have reported throughput issues I see reported here once in a while but generally ok. All ISPs have a relatively similar approach, speeds don’t really decrease on all mass market providers at peak times.

Sky has a firmware issue with their new routers which affects users where 15+ devices are connected (this is being resolved). Worth bearing in mind.

Latency will be determined mainly by DLM more than anything else, dynamic line management on mass market ISPs. They don’t really have capacity / congestion issues in the main. It’s usually better than virgin media in terms of latency for gaming etc.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 10-Dec-20 10:35:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Dec-20 01:45:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:
Then I can get into thinking about ISPs. No point having a fast car if there's roadworks smile
Like traffic jams on the motorways caused by accidents it is to some extent a matter of luck. My Vodafone connection was fine although I know that not everyone had the same experience. I now have a Plusnet connection which is also fine.

Ofcom's introduction of minimum speeds has made in easier to complain about poor performance.

Michael Chare
Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-20 09:28:12
Print Post

I’ve got Zen FTTC with an 80/20 link (all that’s available here) and that is very stable, usually giving at least 65Mbps/18.5Mbps day and night. Latency is also pretty much steady at 7ms. I route via London.

There were capacity issues (as there were with many ISPs back in the Summer) and those have been long since sorted.

My parents are also using Zen on a 40/10 link and now they have been rerouted via London instead of Manchester (they’re in Surrey) their link also shows a steady 7ms latency and a 34/8Mbps rate.

Edited by MercuryRH2 (Sat 12-Dec-20 09:28:47)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sat 12-Dec-20 09:30:44
Print Post

Thanks for all the comments. I decided to go with zen so looking forward to my activation next Friday. hopefully.
  Print Thread

Jump to