General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User farmerdave
(learned) Fri 01-Jan-21 20:45:24
Print Post

my 24 month PlusNet business fttc with /29 is ending soon

[link to this post]

Hi everybody,

As per the subject, my 24 month PN FTTC business deal (only went business to get the /29) is up on 23rd January 2021. Currently paying £34.20 pm on a fixed 24m contract.

I've previously been with Zen (nearly 18 years) A&A (5+ years for work) and now 2 years with PN.

I want to stick with FTTC, ideally with 20mb upstream.

Currently I get this with my Draytek 2860:

Line 1 Information (VDSL2 Firmware Version: 576D17_A/B/C with Vectoring support )
Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream
17A SHOWTIME 18,074 (Kbps) 66,997 (Kbps) 5 (dB) 8 (dB)
Vectoring Active

I'm in rural East Devon about 150m from the green cabinet smile

I don't need a router, I want at least a /29 net block (I run a homelab / VMware virtual DC and a couple of low bandwidth servers) as I need at least 4 static IPs.

I've used A&A L2TP services in the past for mobile fixed IP and presenting an internal voip extension as a (sim based) native number on a mobile but not their L2TP fixed ip block over internet product which were a bit too pricey when I looked last.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

David
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-21 22:14:42
Print Post

Re: my 24 month PlusNet business fttc with /29 is ending soo

[re: farmerdave] [link to this post]

If it ain't bust, don't fix it.

Changing ISP isn't going to fundamentally alter your connection speeds.

Just make sure you speak to the Retentions department, not first line support or sales, to get a good deal. If the first person you speak to doesn't play ball, try another a few hours or a day later. Repeat as necessary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Jan-21 22:17:21)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jan-21 05:21:39
Print Post

Agreed with the above, try get a new retention deal from Plusnet, sounds like you've a specific requirement setup there and its working for you so don't change it if you don't need to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User farmerdave
(learned) Fri 15-Jan-21 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here's the offer I've been made by Plusnet which I accepted today smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your Plusnet Business service

Hello David

Account username: ##########

We love having you with us and want to make sure you're getting the best value from your Plusnet Business services. So, we wanted to let you know about the great options available as your current contract comes to an end.

Please be aware, due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, it may take longer to get through to us on the phone. Remember you can also visit our help and support pages or login to your account online.

Your broadband (Unlimited Business Fibre) and line rental contract is coming to an end on 5th February 2021.

When your contract ends your monthly price will go from £28.50 to £43.50.

Please note all prices quoted are excluding VAT

But don't worry, we have some great offers for you - even new customers can't get better. Take advantage of one of these deals to continue getting the great value award-winning service from us at Plusnet Business. Once you get to the end of your contract, you can leave free of charge and either switch to another provider or cancel your service by giving us 28 days' notice. If you'd like to talk to us about your options give us a call on 0800 023 2221 or check out your exclusive deals below.
Services included as part of your contract

• Speeds of up to 76Mb

Take a look at the end of the email for a list of all the other services you have because you're a Plusnet Business customer.
Sign up to one of the offers set out below before 3rd February 2021, and you’ll be on a fixed price contract. This means your broadband and line rental price will stay the same until your fixed price contract minimum term ends. When it ends, the broadband and line rental price you’ll pay will increase to the then applicable out of contract price as set out in the Price Guide at that time.

Any offers taken on or after 3rd February 2021, will not be on a fixed price contract. Instead the price for broadband, line rental, call plans and call charges will be subject to price increases from March 2022. This means each March from March 2022, we’ll increase the price of broadband, line rental, call plans and call charges by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published by the Office for National Statistics in January of that year plus 3.9%.
Our best price - get the same great deal as new customers
Get Unlimited Business Fibre and line rental for just £21.00 a month. 24 month contract.

Call us on 0800 023 2221 to renew your contract
We'll always do you proud and contact you at the end of your contract to help make sure you're on the best plan for you.
Don't forget the other great perks of being a Plusnet customer

• Speeds of up to 76Mb
• Free email address
• Plusnet Safeguard
• Static IP address
• Multi award-winning UK based customer service

Thanks for being part of Plusnet,

The Plusnet Team
www.plus.net/business

So I confirmed with them that this would roll over my current 24m fixed term contract for another 24 months and bring the price down to £21 + vat = £25.20 which includes line rental and existing /29 public subnet.

The current contract cost is £28.50 + vat = £34.20 so I'm pretty chuffed with the saving.
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 19:02:16
Print Post

Hi farmerdave,

Was the offer made today (8 days before contract end) or earlier?

Did you attempt negotiating by phone before that time or give notice to cancel?

Glad it worked out for you. I have their FTTC service too and they have provided a good service at a reasonable price.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-21 03:31:12
Print Post

That's good smile.

Just one niggle in my head. Your closing remarks suggest they actually did specifically confirm the /29. I just want to be sure you haven't assumed the /29 simply because you have a fixed IP address and they are "renewing" your contract.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
  Print Thread

Jump to