General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-21 13:04:14
Print Post

Opinions of Pulse8?

[link to this post]

I regularly call my mum (in care home) via landline as I have a £1 Anytime calls deal with BT and what they rebranded as BT Fibre with Halo 1 in 2020. I am currently out of contract (May 2019) and pay £44.03 a month. BT offer me a £3 saving if I re contract for 24 mths!!!

On my Asda mobile contract I can get 5hrs of calls for £7 or 3hr 20mins for £5 over 30 days - otherwise I am PAYG.

IDNet are £38 plus £5 for 5 hrs calls
Zen are £34.99 without calls
and Pulse8 are £33 with an hourly call costing 60p

My UK TP Link Router stats for my Archer VR900 running v3 software are

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 19999 71908
Max Rate (kbps) 22664 73252
SNR Margin (dB) 7.2 3.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 19.1 8.8
Errors (pkts) 35941 537

Average daytime via Speedofme is 69Mbps and around 50Mbps peak time - wired. Exchange Rugby. https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange...

Pulse8 obviously come up tops and here is my predicament. Years back I used another small ISP and received very poor service, hence my hesitation. What are your opinions of Pulse8, any problems with calling or issues - I understand they use TT Business.

If it wasn't for lockdown, I would visit mum several times a week.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jan-21 13:20:20
Print Post

Re: Opinions of Pulse8?

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

You will very rarely find any complaints here about Pulse8. Almost always people being pleasantly surprised after worrying like you before taking the plunge.

As an aside, I think you will find their off-peak calls are only 0.8ppm, not the peak time 1ppm smile. Aren't they metered by the second as well? I forget.

Edit:
Calls charged to the nearest second.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 24-Jan-21 13:28:58)

Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Jan-21 13:34:46
Print Post

I have been using Pulse8 for ADSL Broadband and calls for 4 years +
Recently, for the first time, there was an internet and phone problem. Within36 hours, after contacting, problem was resolved
Call costs depend on use, in my case half cost of Anytime. Also there are no call set up costs for any call.
Continuity and support excellent IMO.
Contract is also only 1 month.
My Mobile, Monthly contract, is £7 for unlimited calls and 3gb data on monthly with Virgin via CPW.
I keep landline calls as many of our friends and family do not have mobile phones. Costs for them to ring mobile number would be excessive.

Edited by flippery (Sun 24-Jan-21 14:15:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jan-21 19:09:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
Pulse8 obviously come up tops and here is my predicament. Years back I used another small ISP and received very poor service, hence my hesitation. What are your opinions of Pulse8, any problems with calling or issues - I understand they use TT Business.

Pulse8 should definitely meet your needs, the only issue might be a TT Business full LLU (MPF) account. Personally I would prefer to keep the line rental with the BT wholesale network together with broadband on the TT Business network as a combined account from the same provider (SMPF). Generally speaking it is sometimes considered advantageous to keep the line rental with BT wholesale if one were to potentially migrate line rental and/or broadband to another provider in the future due to any problems with a current provider.

However the greater flexibility of SMPF may indeed be outweighed by the cost advantages of TT Business MPF resold by Pulse8.

Good luck.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Jan-21 23:03:04
Print Post

I was with them a few years back and I along with a few other TBB regulars had single thread speed issues, which Adam escalated to TTB and eventually got resolution on. I did have slightly variable single thread speed test results thereafter, however I did have a similar variation with IDNet when I was originally on their TTB backhaul.

Since I moved onto IDNET's BTw backhaul, I haven't had any variation, although how much of this is down to the exchange / backhaul and how much is down to me learning what the best iMac / Browser / AV combination to test with is anybody's guess.

What I would say is that Adam and Sam were always very keen to assist if there were any perceived issues with their service.

It's also worth that you get High Priority Business Grade (Care Level 2 - 48hr target fix) phone support as part of the standard package.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sat 30-Jan-21 09:43:21
Print Post

Not had any issues with Pluse8, they have been fantastic.

They even resolved a porting issue BT couldn't fix with Openreach, as soon as I moved to them!

One caution to note in my case, BT (who I was previously with) did not terminate my account on my day of transfer and continued to charge me. They claimed this was because the Telephone element of my service did not transfer over (this could be true).

This was resolved with a call to BT CS post transfer.

CJT.

On Pluse8 Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps, then BT Broadband up to 80Mbps.
Standard User DrBob
(newbie) Sun 31-Jan-21 17:20:54
Print Post

Switched from Zen about 6 months ago. Phonecalls MUCH cheaper. Download slightly faster, ping times better but uploads slower. I suspect its the change in backhaul provider. Support good and very quick to answer.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jan-21 21:34:19
Print Post

Thanks everyone. I signed up last week and just waiting for details of my go live date.

Steve
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 10:57:48
Print Post

For some reason the migration failed.

Pulse8 said OR blamed BT for putting a stop on the order. BT said nothing was wrong and checked OR to see the migration was still going ahead, chat on BT Comm Forums said it was Pulse8s error.

It did cross my mind that perhaps TT were at capacity at the exchange?

No disrespect to Sam at Pulse8, he tried his best.

I will continue to look for a BT replacement

frown

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Feb-21 11:08:22
Print Post

It did cross my mind that perhaps TT were at capacity at the exchange?
There is no such capacity limiting at provider level at exchanges.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 12-Feb-21 11:08:46)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-21 11:33:05
Print Post

My past experiences with Pulse8 is that they are absolutely straight. I would tend to believe what Sam has told you.
Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-21 12:34:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If i remember Tim (banger ) had similar problem with moving from UNO to Pulse8 . Both line and FTTC
Then got a good deal with TalkTalk Business and moved both.without a hitch.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-21 13:39:14
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

IIRCTim chose to stop the migration to Pulse8 to avoid a termination fee by Uno and then copped for it on his move to TTB anyway.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 21:50:13
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I am hoping he is being straight.

The BT Customer Forum Fanboys are saying it is Pulse8's fault and talking about waiting lists on cabinets with no spare ports...... not sure why no spare ports in the cabinet would cause any problems for someone already on FTTC

Steve
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-21 22:39:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perhaps if BT retail ceased the BTw broadband provision perhaps the transfer to Pulse8/TTB MPF somehow got messed up. This being, by no means, the fault of the gaining provider namely Pulse8?
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 12-Feb-21 23:43:10
Print Post

I am hoping he is being straight.

The BT Customer Forum Fanboys are saying it is Pulse8's fault and talking about waiting lists on cabinets with no spare ports...... not sure why no spare ports in the cabinet would cause any problems for someone already on FTTC

If I've understood things correctly, the port is not "owned" by the existing end user. A cessation releases the port which is then allocated to the next on the waiting list. The end user who released the port joins at the bottom of that waiting list.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 23:46:06
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

There wasn't a waiting list BTCustomer Forum have confirmed tha from the availability checker.

Steve
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 23:46:55
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Will see what BT say as put a complaint in

Steve
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-21 01:01:17
Print Post

Will see what BT say as put a complaint in

I strongly suspect a foul up by BT retail - did you get a "sorry you are leaving" letter or email from BT retail regarding the migration of both line rental and broadband?
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 09:33:31
Print Post

There wasn't a waiting list BTCustomer Forum have confirmed tha from the availability checker.

I had no knowledge of the circumstances of the particular cabinet. I was responding to your comment " . . . . talking about waiting lists on cabinets with no spare ports...... not sure why no spare ports in the cabinet would cause any problems for someone already on FTTC".

If you only want responses to your particular problem don't add in anecdotal comments that are irrelevant to your specific point. It also saves those responding from wasting their time.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-21 10:20:34
Print Post

The place to check for Waiting List is the BT Wholesale Checker. Not a forum, particularly an ISP one. But very few providers use it.

========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-21 10:27:02
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
If I've understood things correctly, the port is not "owned" by the existing end user. A cessation releases the port which is then allocated to the next on the waiting list. The end user who released the port joins at the bottom of that waiting list.
Correct. AIUI there doesn't even need to be a waiting list. Just "full", and the Openreach system doesn't seem to do the cease and provide immediately.

It appears to cease the connection and wait for confirmation from the system before auctioning the order. During which time another order can be placed for, say, an ADSL>FTTC upgrade and allocated the port. (Note, just what seems to me to happen quite often).

========================
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to