General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Mon 08-Feb-21 16:38:18
Print Post

FTTP On Demand

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I recently had my Zen FTTC re-activated, went from 550/35 VMB to 75/18 with Zen, and the latency seems much better, but I am not happy with the speeds and am now curious if I could get FTTP On Demand instead.

The BT Broadband DSL checker says 330/30 FTTP On Demand is available.

I am relatively close to the cabinet, and am wondering how best to go about finding out the total install costs and how much it would end up costing, finally if I am able to use any ISP which supports it, or does it only have to be BT?

I had a look at the pricing structure here and couldn't really understand how much it would be. Tips? Thanks smile
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Feb-21 16:52:24
Print Post

Re: FTTP On Demand

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

First thing if you're serious is to contact a company like Cerberus for a FTTPoD desktop quote, If your then still interested they will guide you through the process.

Edit: Lots of talk on this forum about the process also so worth searching FTTPoD

Edited by dect (Mon 08-Feb-21 16:54:08)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Feb-21 17:03:53
Print Post

A word of warning, being close to the cabinet does not necessarily mean a short or cheap fibre run - it doesn't go back to the cab but to an aggregation node that could be a lot further away. Getting a quote from Cerberus is generally the best way but they will start with a desktop quote to give you a ballpark - if you want to take further then you pay £250 for a survey but costs may go up or down. There are posts on here about FTTPoD that you could read to get an idea - in addition you probably would wait at least a year for FTTPoD from placing the order, it isn't a quick install in most cases.

EDIT - to add the pricing structure would be useless to you as you won't know where the agg node is, you won't know what ducting is in place already, won't know what else is needed to enable and won't know how many other properties may be serviced by the same install. Unfortunately Openreach (via a reseller) are the only people that can give an idea of cost.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 08-Feb-21 17:05:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E300
(member) Mon 08-Feb-21 17:20:45
Print Post

Others have given good advice.

Price wise, I would say minimum costs recently seem to be around £8,000, also you would need to take a 12 month contract with the ISP you go with for FTTPoD that is a higher price than normal. After 12 months you can then find any ISP you like as it just becomes like normal FTTP.

Set your expectations at 12 months before the service goes live from ordering. You will also need to pay up front for the complete amount with no option to cancel if things drag on.

Keep in mind you will most likely end up with FTTP for free in time, this could be 2 years or 10 years.

If you are still interested then you have some companies to contact.
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Mon 08-Feb-21 18:06:29
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Food for thought, thanks. I had thought all the long waiting times for FTTP don't have anything to do with FTTP On Demand, so good to know that it's also very slow smile
  Print Thread

Jump to