General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User charlestown
(regular) Thu 01-Apr-21 12:47:07
Print Post

Somewhat undecided over ISP choice

[link to this post]

I have been with Vodafone for the last few years on a 76mbps fibre connection and anytime minutes. I am currently out of contract and they have just written to say they will be increasing the prices from May by 4.5% in addition to a £3 monthly surcharge simply for being out of contract i.e they want to pin me down for another 18 months or so.

During the time I have been with Vodafone the service has generally been reliable, though speeds are variable. I just checked and it was excellent over wifi, however there are definitely times when it slows down considerably. Fortunately not like some seem to experience.

The reason I hesitate to renew is that their customer service really seems to have gone down hill if you need to contact them and I see they are scoring rather badly in customer satisfaction reports. I work from home as a web designer and obviously rely on decent broadband, especially when my wife and daughter might be streaming video at the same time.

The question then is who to consider as an alternative. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but not intent on paying the maximum just to use the same OpenReach lines. We are in Cornwall with no option to use Virgin and no sign of FTTP arriving here in the next year or so.

Looking around I did wonder about picking a business package from TalkTalk or Plusnet, since these are supposedly more reliable than their standard products. I have used Sky in the past, however I had to leave because all my email was suddenly being labelled as spam and it looked like they were using IP numbers that were blacklisted. BT are a nightmare on billing when it comes to renewal, so I am not in a rush to go back there either.

One thought was to use Zen, who are not the cheapest but I don't know if they are still viewed as a good choice. That would work out at £41.50 including anytime calls with a guarantee not to increase prices. Vodafone have their new pro offer that looks interesting on paper, though I noted some scepticism in a forum thread.

Any thoughts on a good option with unlimited bandwidth? I did think about possibly ditching the anytime minutes and switching to a VoIP option, since I make very few outgoing calls and have unlimited minutes on my mobile anyway through Voxi. I have never used a VoIP phone but a friend using Virgin tells me it is brilliant and really cheap. He recently moved from London to Norwich and was able to keep his number.

I know many seem to rate Andrews and Arnold but that would be a big increase on what I am currently paying and I am not sure it could be justified.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Apr-21 17:55:25
Print Post

Re: Somewhat undecided over ISP choice

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

Aquiss, IDNet, Pulse 8, Uno & Zen are all good mid range choices.

I would choose to keep my phone line with BT, as it gives you more cost effective migration options should you wish to move on later, which would make Pulse8 or Zen less attractive to me.

Zen's call charges are higher than the other ISPs listed, although that is to an extent countered by their anytime call package more attractive, if you go down that route.

IDNet and Pulse8 offer one month contracts as standard.

IDNet's SOGEA option is £7-8 + VAT a month cheaper than their FTC offering so a good choice if want to go down the VOIP route.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Apr-21 18:53:06
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Choosing Zen does not mean losing your BT line, though all calls will have to be VOIP or mobile in a couple of years anyway, so maybe as well to get used to the idea.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Thu 01-Apr-21 20:59:11
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Looks like I would need a new phone if I want to go with a VoIP solution. Zen is looking like a decent option though.
Standard User bukem909
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 20:56:13
Print Post

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

I'm in a similar situation like yourself. I've just been sent the same email from Vodafone asking me to recontract my broadband service. Like you, i've been satisfied with my FTTC broadband service over the last 2-3 years and very rarely had any 'life' impacting issues.

Although the constant moans about the poor customer service does play on my mind, I'm thinking of leaving for different reasons. I'm not pleased that even if I recontract today at a slightly lower price (£22 instead of the current £24), they will increase the price every April to the tune of 3.5% plus whatever the CPI percentage is reported in January. It's more of a principle thing for me rather than any cost savings. Surely if they are asking you to sign-up to a 24 month contract, the least they can do is honour the same line rental price for the duration of the contract. They have in the past so why change now?

So at the moment, I'm looking at Uno or possibly Aquiss. I've fired a few questions and waiting for them to reply.
(regular) Thu 08-Apr-21 22:07:29
Print Post

[re: bukem909] [link to this post]

Yes that 3.9% + inflation guaranteed price increase irritated me as well and I didn't think it was justified. After looking around and asking here I signed up with Pulse 8, which uses the TalkTalk Business line also run by Zen for example. I think it will work out at roughly £4 more per month in my case, however you can leave at any time and they seem to have a good name for customer service.

One downside with Pulse 8 is that they don't supply a router, which may be a consideration if you don't have one. At the moment I am still on Vodafone and waiting for it all to go through. After three years, signing another 2 year contract with guaranteed price increases just wasn't appealing, especially as I might be moving house.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Apr-21 00:03:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by bukem909:
So at the moment, I'm looking at Uno or possibly Aquiss. I've fired a few questions and waiting for them to reply.
Two good options smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User bukem909
(newbie) Sat 10-Apr-21 09:40:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by bukem909:
Two good options smile.

After firing a lot of questions at the Uno sales team, I've decided to sign-up with them in the end. Apart from the "bit between the keyboard and chair" moment when my credit card was rejected, so far so good. Migration doesn't happen for a couple of weeks so I cannot comment on the broadband service yet.

They even have broadband monitoring, a feature I've not had since leaving AAISP when I had ADSL. I've been with the mainstream players (BT and Vodafone) on FTTC so good to be with a niche ISP again.
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 10-Apr-21 21:26:51
Print Post

I've just submitted an order to iDNET for their FTTC SOGEA product (as I already use VOIP for voice telephony). I'm moving on from AAISP after a number of years and I've also just set up Smokeping on a spare Raspberry Pi to give some line monitoring.

Wish me luck!

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
  Print Thread

Jump to