Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-11 00:22:00
Print Post

Re: Website loading UPDATE

[re: LucBorg] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, even though it is over a year old I think it is worth a reply and especially seeing it is about one of my favourite windows programs smile

After Kerio Personal Firewall 4.1.3, starting 4.2.0, additional features were added, one of them the HIPS components, but others, to do with the web filtering components. Sometime around v.4.3.x, a particular component became unstable on certain machines causing webpages to hang and other fun stuff due to it altering HTTP packets.

I worked with Sunbelt support on this issue and we managed to trace the component down in the firewall that was causing the issue, luckily, while the component cannot be disabled through the GUI and is enabled by default (even if web filtering is totally disabled in the GUI), a registry option was there in the product to disable it. Change the value to 0 and the issues went away!

Overall I do think KPF is still the best firewall you can put on a Windows system, it's so lightweight and customizable smile

But this is also why I recommend 4.1.3, because the only real benefit of 4.2.0 was HIPS, and you had to pay for that, so by choosing 4.1.3 you remove the potential for problems.

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 29-Nov-11 00:24:40)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-11 19:12:56
Print Post

Re: Website loading

[re: LucBorg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LucBorg:
,,,,,HJT log....

A little late perhaps wink but youir boot time and performance could be improved, perhaps greatly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to