Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 21-Apr-11 09:46:17
Print Post

Re: Winzip annoyance

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Yeah, it's obviously something like that, but it's damn annoying. The feature is actually quite useful if you have edited anything, as it's much easier just being able to save it back to the zip file than having to save it elsewhere and manually do it afterwards. BUT, as it's only a very small minority of documents I'm having to edit - the majority are fine - it would be much better if I could disable it, for this work, at least.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 21-Apr-11 09:48:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Haha! A couple of problems with that!

Firstly, it's a done deal, now, so would only be able to suggest it for future, similar exercises. Secondly, it would be a pain for the small minority of cases where I do actually need to edit something. Would have to save a copy first, and work on the copy.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 23:11:17
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TLM:
So it's just a "feature", is it?

No way of switching it off?

It's not a problem with WinZip - The files have been changed simply by opening them and WinZip is simply asking if you want to save the modified file or save the existing.
To avoid this, extract the files to a folder, edit them and then re-archive them.

Windows has featured "native zipping/unzipping" since XP but, it doesn't work with all archives and can corrupt the data in some instances.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User The_Jimster
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-11 22:14:12
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

just re-assosciate the zip files to be opened by win7 rather than winzip
once you open using default win7 explorer options you can open files, close them and no prompt appears - just tested it !!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to