Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Titus
(legend) Sun 17-Jul-11 21:32:52
Print Post

Re: Dell Help

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
... Why are people so reluctant to ask neighbours for help?

Because, in her case, she knows her neighbours well enough to know that most of them don't even have a computer.

Very few people are likely to be lucky enough to have a clued-up neighbour like you.

Why, otherwise, do you think she would ring a novice like me?

Titus
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Computer "experts": if you know how to switch a computer on,
then to someone who doesn't, you are apparently a computer expert ...

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Standard User ianXX
(experienced) Sun 17-Jul-11 23:06:44
Print Post

[re: Titus] [link to this post]

"... There has been nothing to cause it to hibernate ..."

My desktop Dell's factory default setting is to hibernate after 1080 minutes of inactivity (or some number like that).

This Dell is running Windows 7 and the hibernate option is found at Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> "Change plan settings" -> "Change advance power settings" -> Sleep -> "Hibernate after".

Vista may be similar.

Ian
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 00:08:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Titus:
So why should it do that on startup, when connected to the mains?
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. It does this "resuming windows" on the next start-up after the last shutdown that was forcibly hibernated when e.g. the battery is near flat. There are other events that may cause hibernation, as another poster pointed out.

Did she allow it enough time to resume Windows, considering it has to boot Windows itself, as usual, and then load everything else that was running when it hibernated?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Jul-11 00:13:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Titus
(legend) Mon 18-Jul-11 01:00:38
Print Post

[re: ianXX] [link to this post]

It hadn't been hibernating.

It had been operating normally the previous day, and was switched off overnight - not left to lapse into hibernation.

When she switched it on and tried to use it the next day (her usual routine), instead of loading wndows as it normally did, it just (eventually) went inot "Recovering ..." mode, and stayed there - however long she left it.

As I said, It had not been hibernating ...

Titus
Computer "experts": if you know how to switch a computer on,
then to someone who doesn't, you are apparently a computer expert ...

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 01:13:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Titus:
it just (eventually) went into "Recovering ..." mode
"Recovering" or "Resuming"? You said "Resuming" before, which pointed us at hibernation.

IDEA: If you can get into Windows Recovery Console, either built-in or from a Windows CD, you could try deleting (or rename) C:\hiberfil.sys. It can't do any harm and may prevent it thinking it is "Resuming Windows".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Jul-11 01:19:55)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 02:01:03
Print Post

If you can't get hold of a Windows Recovery CD, you d/load Hirenís BootCD 13.2 (not v.14; I pointed out it's faulty and they removed the link). It's brilliant!

You burn it to CD; a burner prog is included (you may need to tick SAO).

Boot from it and choose "Run Mini XP". You will then see an XP-like desktop, which will be familiar to you, and you can Explore all your files and do what you like to them, just like in XP.

Then send her the CD with these instructions.

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 18-Jul-11 19:49:31
Print Post

Amazon, Maplin, PC World and most computer shops would be able to supply a caddy. Even removing the HD and giving it to someone with a PATA/ SATA cable connector should be able to access the info.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 and all that was required to remove my HD was a small flat screwdriver to undo the screws on the case bottom and my fingers to pull off the small cable. Voila!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 18-Jul-11 19:58:38
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I'd say somewhere between changing a light bulb and wiring a plug in difficulty. Much closer to changing a light bulb though.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jul-11 02:34:07
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

You have a light bulb in your laptop?

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:43:09
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Some even have LEDs to illuminate the keyboard to enable typing in the dark!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to