Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Titus
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:17:12
Print Post

Re: Dell Help

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Take it to someone who knows.

This has already been suggested several times, and you have accepted that it is the best solution. Messing about when neither of you really know what you are doing is likely to make any situation worse than it already is.

I'm afraid that if you don't know how to boot Windows into Safe Mode, or even know if it is possible, then you are not competent to advise someone, over the phone, how to repair the computer. Parroting answers given here will make neither of you more competent.

Agreed completely.

Titus
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Computer "experts": if you know how to switch a computer on,
then to someone who doesn't, you are apparently a computer expert ...

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Standard User Titus
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:19:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
As I stated earlier, <F8> for Windows Boot Menu is a standard Windows procedure and works on all versions, incl. Vista, regardless of PC manufacturer.

Thank you for a clear, explicit and unambiguous answer. Just what I was seeking.

Titus

Standard User Titus
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:21:58
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Google it. You are wasting our time.

Google what exactly?

Titus

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:32:41
Print Post

[re: Titus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Titus:
It is when she was unable to boot into safe mode
Pressing <F8> often requires exquisite timing to catch it. If she is unfamiliar with it, she might think it wasn't working when she had just missed it; one needs to persevere.

OTOH it might stop working if the Partition Tables are corrupt but there are ways to fix those with my recommended Recovery CD.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User Titus
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:43:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Titus:
It is when she was unable to boot into safe mode
Pressing <F8> often requires exquisite timing to catch it. If she is unfamiliar with it, she might think it wasn't working when she had just missed it; one needs to persevere.

OTOH it might stop working if the Partition Tables are corrupt but there are ways to fix those with my recommended Recovery CD.

Thank you for a positive suggestion.

I know just what you mean - I find I sometimes need to need to persist, and press F8 repeatedly. That is just what I advised her to do and is what she did.

Thanks for the recommendations regarding a recovery disk. However if that is indeed what is needed, then I think it will be simpler, safer and certainly quicker for her to get that done through a local repairer.

Likewsie suggestions involving the physical dismantling of her computer. But again, thanks at least for some positive advice.

Titus

Edited by Titus (Sat 23-Jul-11 09:51:21)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to