Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 10:00:22
Print Post

Re: Windows 8

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

The lack of screen space forces application developers to think very carefully about what they need to display and how their software should interact with users.The discipline that such constraints enforce can lead to much better software design. In this instance "less" can be "more" as indeed it should be.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“That's the way to do it” -- Mr. Punch
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:03:33
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Is there any reason you can't install the app on a PC?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:23:32
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Most people that I know that use smartphones just seem to email and add inane comments to Faceache.

I know the world is changing but I find it so rude to stand in a pub chatting or wherever and then the phone user replies to a text or email.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 17-Sep-11 13:29:08
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Most people that I know that use smartphones just seem to email and add inane comments to Faceache.

Twatter too.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sat 17-Sep-11 15:28:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There are certainly some Linux distributions taking a similar direction.

e.g.
Ubuntu's next release (11.10) is dropping the venerable vanilla Gnome desktop and putting in the Unity desktop (which is actually a compiz plugin). Very much more suited to touch-screen usage, with a large left-hand launcher bar and disposes with the Application menu in favour of "lenses" - more reasonably described as search windows to find apps. It was available as an option in 10.10 and 11.04 alongside Gnome 2.

And I believe Fedora and OpenSUSE are heading in the direction of Gnome Shell running on Gnome 3 which will give a similar kind of interface to Unity.

As always in the Linux world there will still be plenty of other distributions available that stick to more traditional desktop environments. Just looking at official Ubuntu distributions for example: Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (XFCE), Lubuntu (LXDE). And that's just one tiny corner of the Linux distro world. There's always choice smile
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 16:53:23
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

It's been there since 11.04. For anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1WHCEJ9Q8

(experienced) Sat 17-Sep-11 18:55:56
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
even the Desire which have a larger screen is too small, I just find all mobile phone screens too small.

Screen size is one of the reasons I got the Desire HD, not only works fine for web, its invaluable for carrying a stack of pdf'd travel books around with me. Wouldn't want to read a novel on it, but that's not why I bought it.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 18-Sep-11 09:42:43
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

If anyone successfully installs this, can you please post results.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 11:02:12
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

I've installed it on VMware 8 Workstation. Seems to work okay - can't say I am a huge fan of the interface, but there you go..

The thing that annoys me the most: how does one close an Metro app??? It's not obvious (admittedly I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it) and I've taken to firing up the Task Manager to stop them..
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Sep-11 14:06:48
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

I won't be trying. Using a three year old laptop at present. Eye candy doesn't agree with the cooling system. smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to