Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 18-Sep-11 15:35:16
Print Post

Re: Windows 8

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
The thing that annoys me the most: how does one close an Metro app??? It's not obvious (admittedly I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it) and I've taken to firing up the Task Manager to stop them..
You can't - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/window...

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:00:00
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Tried to install it on a spare machine, with spare H/D

Kept asking for device driver for CD/DVD, I assume I am doing something incorrect.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:14:51
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

It's hideous.

Might be good on a touch screen, but for a desktop it fails.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:42:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks - at least I know it's not just me being dumb.. grin
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:06:29
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Brunel:
If anyone successfully installs this, can you please post results.

What sort of results?

i installed it on a second hard drive on my desktop.

Computer is a AMD phenom II 3.5Ghz with 8GB of ram.

My view of windows 8 is

It seems to be pretty nippy.
I had some problems with some software not installing even in compatibility mode.

A few BSoD, but that got better once i had some updates and installed some official drivers for the chipset.

Metro is horrid, it really is, may be fine for touch screen, but not for mouse, no start menu yet, but I think that will come at a latter date.

If you are thinking of buying it when it comes out to replace windows 7, don't bother, it is not worth it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:09:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Spasch:
The thing that annoys me the most: how does one close an Metro app??? It's not obvious (admittedly I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it) and I've taken to firing up the Task Manager to stop them..
You can't - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/window...

I had a muck around with a few games on the Metro UI and if I go back tot he Metro interface I can still hear the in game music.

Another stupid idea.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:19:45
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Most people that I know that use smartphones just seem to email and add inane comments to Faceache.

I know the world is changing but I find it so rude to stand in a pub chatting or wherever and then the phone user replies to a text or email.
Oh so do I, that goes without saying. That still leaves plenty of times when there's nothing to do for ten minutes so a Sherlock Holmes story fills the gap nicely smile

It was also interesting on my recent Scottish holiday to look up some info on a monument we found during a walk. It turned out to be for this bloke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beaumont_Neilson

It was quite amusing really because it showed how times change and how fickle human nature was. We got a bit impatient because it took nearly a minute to perform the search and download the Wikipedia page. Ten years ago the idea of walking around the back of beyond and accessing an online encyclopaedia would have been astonishing - now we just whinged because it took nearly a minute smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:24:12)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:29:21
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
The lack of screen space forces application developers to think very carefully about what they need to display and how their software should interact with users.The discipline that such constraints enforce can lead to much better software design. In this instance "less" can be "more" as indeed it should be.
Yup. The idea of 'Apps' has always irritated me. It's often made out to be something clever and revolutionary but really it's just a workaround for inadequate screen size and/or poor layout. So yes - a great way to concentrate the developer's mind but really a shame that normal web sites can't just adapt.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:29:36)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:32:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
so you think millions of office workers are going to start using virtual keyboard touch screen, unlikely as companies #1 is productivity.
No - where'd you get that idea from?

I was just addressing your general point that Microsoft was 'losing it'. I think they are doing the right thing here in trying to produce an OS (or at least a framework/GUI) that works on desktops and mobiles. Mobiles are an up and coming if not already here) way to work with computers. Microsoft have to do something to support them otherwise they will be left behind.

Wrongly or rightly tablets and mobiles are where it's 'happening'. It may be a fad and it might be a step backward but any IT company that ignores them is going to suffer.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:34:33)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 19-Sep-11 10:42:10
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Although consoles dominate the games market I dont see those who use their desktop pc for gaming using touch screen to play their games with. your hands would always be in the way of the screen and im sure your arms would ache.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to