Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 19-Sep-11 11:57:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 8

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Good point, can we expect Linnux to do their usual "me too" ?

er Meego, Ubuntu Netbook Launcher, KDE Netboook Launcher...

of course all the above were out before Windows 8, and are more functional from what I've seen of the Windows 8 Developer Preview on my Acer D250
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Mon 19-Sep-11 13:59:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I can't even reach my screen, I like it at a distance.

The last thing I want is finger marks on it.
Anyone touches my screen they are libel to lose their finger.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Mon 19-Sep-11 14:04:51
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
What sort of results?

i installed it on a second hard drive on my desktop.

Computer is a AMD phenom II 3.5Ghz with 8GB of ram.

My view of windows 8 is

It seems to be pretty nippy.
I had some problems with some software not installing even in compatibility mode.

A few BSoD, but that got better once i had some updates and installed some official drivers for the chipset.

Metro is horrid, it really is, may be fine for touch screen, but not for mouse, no start menu yet, but I think that will come at a latter date.

If you are thinking of buying it when it comes out to replace windows 7, don't bother, it is not worth it.

Agreed.

When using beta Win 7 within minutes I knew that I would be using it from then on.

An hour of Win 8 tells me there is no chance of me using it (by choice).

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 19:50:10
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

try this Never tried it on my smart phone.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Sep-11 10:55:54
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
so you think millions of office workers are going to start using virtual keyboard touch screen, unlikely as companies #1 is productivity.
No - where'd you get that idea from?

I was just addressing your general point that Microsoft was 'losing it'. I think they are doing the right thing here in trying to produce an OS (or at least a framework/GUI) that works on desktops and mobiles. Mobiles are an up and coming if not already here) way to work with computers. Microsoft have to do something to support them otherwise they will be left behind.

Wrongly or rightly tablets and mobiles are where it's 'happening'. It may be a fad and it might be a step backward but any IT company that ignores them is going to suffer.

I never said they shouldnt make an OS for them, I do think tho its wrong to change their desktop OS for them.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:20:47
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/5552.html

(sensei) Wed 21-Sep-11 13:07:36
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Of course if the whole method gets compromised, then there will be white list items being black listed and vice versa.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:48:07
Print Post

OK so I got around to installing win 8 in VB after I'd finished with my virtual Ubuntu server and had enough RAM to do so. (4GB isn't much these days frown ... my 2 year old laptop is showing its age)

It's hardly an upgrade from win 7, there is little difference. OK so the start menu and apps thing is new but apart from that nothing much has changed. Therefore this is not a new OS, it should not be Windows 8 but perhaps Windows 7.1 or Windows 7 tablet edition. Better yet the tablet 'enhancements' should just be a free download for existing win 7 users.

Can't see me ever switching to it as there are no advantages unless actually using a tablet. I can't ever see myself owning a Windows tablet either, what my iPhone can't do or needs a bigger screen for I do on my laptop, there's no need for a 'full featured' device in the (small) gap between. (the same reason I don't have an iPad)

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:01:07
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Sounds familiar. In another thread a while back I likened Windows Vista to NT4 and theri successors W2K Pro to Windows 7 (from the perspective of the product doing whaat it should for users). In other words, Vista and NT4 were Beta systems imo.

Equally, Milliemium was no change over W98SE, and XP was a slight improvement over W2K in some respects, but not in others. In fact, ME and XP is some ways had their own problems, possibly due to new ideas being thrown in.

So...the MS cycle is:

Beta Operating System (W95, NT, Vista)

Functional Operating System * (W98SE, W2K Pro, Win 7)

Prop Operating System ** (ME, XP, Win 8)

* After Service Pack 2 where applicable

** 'Prop' meaning it fills out the market for 2-3 years until the next Beta arrives.

So a single good product every twelve years (W98SE and W2K Pro were for different markets). On that basis we should be looking to get Windows 10 or 11 around the year 2022. smile

I'll be sticking with Vista until forced to change due to PC repair requirements, or when I have a new build. Vista is actually very workable, but it takes about two years to suss out all the things slowing down the system, by which point you're looking for an alternative. When will microsoft actually release a version with a step-by-step advanced installation, such as:

Do you use wireless or wired networking? Yes / No / Don't know
Do you use IPv6? Yes / No / Don't Know

etc.

Basically so folk can have a barebones setup, should they want it, rather than Gigabytes of bloated software and patches / fixes for things they don't use.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:14:50
Print Post

When will microsoft actually release a version with a step-by-step advanced installation,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evalu...

John.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to