Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 14-Sep-11 18:56:35
Print Post

Windows 8

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14915748

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Not bad. Where's the productivity though?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-11 19:01:23
Print Post

Re: Windows 8

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Unfortunately a fair few people don't want productivity in the home, they want fancy nonsense graphics. Microsoft is delivering that to satisfy them but I'm confident will have also made many improvements to the proper side of the OS that corporations and power users will be using.

Most of this is designed really for tablet and touchscreen too, which will be nice, because Windows 7 isn't really suitable for tablets in all honesty. I may just buy a Windows 8 tablet when they are released now smile

(committed) Wed 14-Sep-11 19:30:23
Print Post

and if anyone wants to get a hold of a copy to try win 8 download

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U
Desktop 1 Intel Pentium G620 2.60GHz 4gig DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 7/Ubuntu 11.04
Desktop 2 Guest PC Intel Pentium 4HT 1GB DDR2 250GB HDD purely for web browsing and sky GO Windows 7
Desktop 3 Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz 2gig DDR1 300gig HDD Windows 7 (Mums PC)
Server 1 Intel celeron D 3.60GHZ 1TB HDD Windows Home Server 2011
Macbook End 2009 4GB DDR3 64gig SSD OSX Lion
PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:16:25
Print Post

I think it is utterly horrible and will be a compete failure.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369862/windows-8-full-de...

(legend) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:21:29
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

You'll get used to it
There will still be a place for traditional, desktop-style applications. These will run from the Windows 7-style Desktop, which now appears as an app on the Windows 8 Start Screen. "The Desktop is just another app that you can launch when you want to," said Harris. "There are no compromises. When you want a mouse and keyboard you can have it."

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:23:15
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

looks [censored] but I'll give it a download and see if it'll run in a VM machine so I can see what it is really like.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:23:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In the same way I got used to Gnome-shell.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:31:03
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

It's tricky in a VM. It'll run in virtualbox with the right settings, and for vmware I think you need the latest version 8 to run it. You can boot it natively from a vhd file though.

(legend) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:31:20
Print Post

Good point, can we expect Linnux to do their usual "me too" ?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:41:54
Print Post

Thanks for that. Might be simpler for me to dig out another hard drive to install it on. Don't want to mess up my current dual boot and doubt it'll run well in vb anyway.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User git
(experienced) Thu 15-Sep-11 02:50:44
Print Post

erm.... looks to me like my phone has stopped becoming more like my PC, and my PC has started becoming more like my phone...
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:01:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:

microsoft is losing it, its all about cosmetics, But also they seem to be over concentrating on the mobile market.

The sad thing is all tech sites reviewing this are up it like its the next coming, any change anything new is alway sbetter the attitude they have, so microsoft will suck that up and take it as we all want this.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:28:20
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I'm not against change if it's an improvement.

Many of the features of the pre-Office 2007 edition were dropped. Bad idea. Also the interfacve was radically different, with no option to go to the older version. Another bad idea. Massive loss of productivity for those who know the product inside out. Great for those who train others if they get savvy to it quickly.

If MS want to radically change their product and make the home and business users happy, all they have to do is release an operating system with few bugs, no privacy issues and one that can be transferred from system to system without costing a packet. Corner the market! smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You'll get used to it
There will still be a place for traditional, desktop-style applications. These will run from the Windows 7-style Desktop, which now appears as an app on the Windows 8 Start Screen. "The Desktop is just another app that you can launch when you want to," said Harris. "There are no compromises. When you want a mouse and keyboard you can have it."

No start menu so I have been told, how can they do away with the start menu? Stupid idea, so every time you want to launch a different bit of software you got to go to the silly touch style interface, which is going to be a pain on non-touch devices.

I am not going to get used to it as I will not be using it.

I may download it and stick it ont he second machine or laptop just to be nosey,

Oh yeah the ribbon idea is awful, I hate it on Office.

touch screens on desktops is rubbish to be honest, not only are you going to get greasy finger marks all over the screen, but your arms will start to ache.

touch screen on a phone is ok, but not on a desktop or laptop computer for that matter.

Yep, MS have lost the plot

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 11:19:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The Windows Start Menu is an abomination that we have all had ample time to get used to - ask anyone new to Windows.

The next evolutionary step for computing devices is to get rid of the mouse and the keyboard. Touch-screens do the former admirably and the latter partially. Virtual keyboards are simply a stop-gap and will largely be replaced with voice recognition.

Microsoft are not innovators and never have been. They know that they cannot beat Apple for style and innovation and, unlike other companies, will not even try to do so. All they have to do is play keepy-uppy and produce a usable OS for tablet PCs that:
  • Is as good as or better than Android
  • Can be sold at a reasonable price
  • Will run Windows applications
They will also need to produce a decent tranche of native apps to replace traditional Windows applications. The real challenge will be to make sure that native apps inter-operate seamlessly with Windows apps and other services such as e-mail, calendars and mobile phones.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“That's the way to do it” -- Mr. Punch
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-11 16:13:19
Print Post

Looks like all the same od arguments as there was for windows xp and windows 7, when it is rolled out properly next year it will soon become mainstream and accepted by everyone, just like windows 7. smile

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 19:45:02
Print Post

Microsoft are simply sorting out visuals so that Windows will be able to work on tablet devices and phones in a good manner. The good old Windows will still be there should you choose. Of course the "start menu" will be there, where are you getting your information from?

This way, you can have Windows phone, Windows PC, and Windows tablet, lovely!

I think it will be good.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 21:00:12
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I don't agree that touch-screens can replace keyboard and mouse. They may be okay on portable devices, because they are used for only short period. But on a computer, you typically want to spend several hours working. It would be too much hard work holding your hands above a large touch-screen for long periods of time.

(sensei) Thu 15-Sep-11 21:31:53
Print Post

Add to that the loss of productivity in training up any supposed speech recognition software to suit your (or many) voice(s).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 15-Sep-11 21:44:24
Print Post

Speaking is way more effort than typing. For that reason I think the keyboard is here to stay.

John.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 21:53:01
Print Post

I could not do without my old Microsoft Natural keyboard for my work, although I would love to get rid of the mouse. However, the typewriter keyboard is a 19th century invention and, as such, it is an anachronism and an encumbrance. Those who take to the notepad will not want it any more. And, no, I do not really want to spend several hours a day tapping away on my computer keyboard.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 15-Sep-11 23:27:42)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:14:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
The Windows Start Menu is an abomination that we have all had ample time to get used to - ask anyone new to Windows.

Nothing wrong with the start menu, it have improved over the years.

My computer is set up so that the software i use the most is ont he taskbar, I love the way I can put the icons on the taskbar in windows 7. a bit like the Mac dock, but not as good.

Other software which i use less often are snapped onto the start menu

I hate icons on the desktop, a waste of time.

The next evolutionary step for computing devices is to get rid of the mouse and the keyboard. Touch-screens do the former admirably and the latter partially. Virtual keyboards are simply a stop-gap and will largely be replaced with voice recognition.

Touch screen is useless on a desktop or laptop computer. you got to have small fingers to use menus with touch screens and your arm aches.

Virtual keyboards are also a waste of time, I can just imagine a touch typist using one, not
Oh yeah voice recognition, works fantastic, which is why every one is using it, again not.

for years we have been told we will be talking to our computers, no keyboards or mouse just tell it what we want it to do. Still not happened,

Dragon is pretty good, not still no where near good enough, it is a gimmick

Microsoft are not innovators and never have been. They know that they cannot beat Apple for style and innovation and, unlike other companies, will not even try to do so. All they have to do is play keepy-uppy and produce a usable OS for tablet PCs that:
  • Is as good as or better than Android
  • Can be sold at a reasonable price
  • Will run Windows applications

Tablets are a gimmick as well and will either die out or sell less, many people are still buying computers with keyboards, be it laptops, netbooks or a full blown desktop.

Tablets are fine for browsing the net and watching some videos but that is their limits.

They will also need to produce a decent tranche of native apps to replace traditional Windows applications. The real challenge will be to make sure that native apps inter-operate seamlessly with Windows apps and other services such as e-mail, calendars and mobile phones.

and this is the whole reason why MS is doing this change over to get into the mobile phone market because so far they have failed and I think they will fail again, for the smart phone market Android and Apple have got the market.

i like the Android phones to be honest, certainly my HTC, the only problem is Google,, I will never have another MS phone and I got no interest in tablet to be honest, I like real computers, something can do more than one thing without creaking

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:14:51
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavillas:
Looks like all the same od arguments as there was for windows xp and windows 7, when it is rolled out properly next year it will soon become mainstream and accepted by everyone, just like windows 7. smile

Will it? Vista was not accepted by everyone, that is why Windows 7 came out so quick.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:17:10
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Microsoft are simply sorting out visuals so that Windows will be able to work on tablet devices and phones in a good manner. The good old Windows will still be there should you choose. Of course the "start menu" will be there, where are you getting your information from?

I think it will be good.

I don't want it to work on a tablet or phone, I got a computer here that cost me over a grand, I don't want it looking like a mobile phone

No start menu,if you want the start menu you have to use a reg hack. you click on the windows icon where the start menu would be and it take you back to that horrid Metro UI.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:18:04
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sark:
Speaking is way more effort than typing. For that reason I think the keyboard is here to stay.

Try editing some video with voice control it would certainly take a lot longer.

Adrian

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:27:48
Print Post

Oh dear this isn't going to work. Already running a linux server in a vb add windows 8 and I run out of RAM frown

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 07:58:07
Print Post

which to me is the problem, they creating a portable OS that also will be used on desktops. Not the other way round.

Seems to me they been lazy and really should be making 2 different operating systems.

There is no way a touch screen will be more productive than a proper keyboard and mouse. There is situations when a touchscreen is useful, bot not on a desk where I have a keyboard in front of me. Reminds me of the virtual keyboard on the xbox360 which is hideous to use. Wont be quite so bad as that but wont be great either.

As for voice recognition I think we are decades away from somethng that would be reliable enough to use widespread. I still remember a dodgy demo going wrong from microsoft on voice recognition and all the issues that come with call centre queues that try to use voice recognition for menus.

Change is ok, but not forced change. With the start menu going I can see windows 7 been extended again and again as windows 8 is potentially another windows ME/vista bomb.

Like windows 7, microsaoft is making changes for the sake of it rather than natural progresson, they need to be making visible GUI changes (in their eyes) so people feel they buying something new.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 16-Sep-11 08:05:05)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 08:02:11
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:

I think it will be good.

I only accepted windows 7 when I discovered I could bring back quick launch and use an app to change behaviour of the taskbar.

I am not using office 2010 as I dont like the gui changes.

To me a phone is to make calls, I think things like the iphone are nothing more than toys, I have a nokia 6300, I have a laptop which is useful but is only normally used when I am out of my home and somewhere else. I have tried a notebook and the screen was too small for me. You could say I am an anti portable device person. eg. I didnt buy a PSP because there is no easy way to output it to a monitor.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Sep-11 09:47:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I only accepted windows 7 when I discovered I could bring back quick launch and use an app to change behaviour of the taskbar.

I have already done the first part but what is this app for changing the behaviour of the taskbar
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 16-Sep-11 10:07:05
Print Post

Couldn't agree more. It reduces productivity as you can't find anything, it's all buried away somewhere.

My expertise is with MS Access databases. Ribbon even worse there.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-11 10:14:26
Print Post

microsoft is losing it, its all about cosmetics, But also they seem to be over concentrating on the mobile market.

The sad thing is all tech sites reviewing this are up it like its the next coming, any change anything new is alway sbetter the attitude they have, so microsoft will suck that up and take it as we all want this.
I disagree. I've had a decent smartphone for the last six months (HTC Desire) that has finally opened me up to the mobile world. I can finally see the attraction of a decent tablet and I think the old desktop+mouse+screen combo is going to die out. Or at least be restricted to technical software developers like me and we are a shrinking minority.

So I think Microsoft have the right idea here and the Youtube presentation encouraged me. I'm looking forward to the next version of Windows with more personal interest than I have of any OS since Windows XP.

The only thing that still concerns me a little is sub-pixel addressing (ie;Cleartype and its ilk). My eyes/brain simply cannot handle this technology. This new UI is obviously why MS have been pushing for it but if it can't be disabled then that make genuinely exclude me from 'the revolution' :-/

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Fri 16-Sep-11 10:16:19)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-11 10:23:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
No start menu so I have been told, how can they do away with the start menu? Stupid idea, so every time you want to launch a different bit of software you got to go to the silly touch style interface, which is going to be a pain on non-touch devices.
Why? Your mouse will still work. The only gestures that can't be done with a mouse are those that require two inputs (eg;zooming).
And scream and scream and stamp your foot until you make yourself sick, right?

Sheesh. Get over it. I've been using computers since the Sinclair Spectrum and yes, change, can be irritating but you adapt. I've often thought that Windows would benefit from a large 'app selection' screen. Navigating a start menu is not convenient. Putting your most used icons on the desktop is an improvement - except at present getting back to a clear desktop to select something is problematic. Sure there's a hot key but the whole 'minimise/maximise' process is klunky.

So stop being a Luddite. Give it a fair chance when it becomes available.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-11 10:36:14
Print Post

Similar solutions may well be available for Win 8.
To me a phone is to make calls
Each to their own smile

Calling and texting are the least likely thing I do with my smartphone. Partly that's because I just don't do either very much anyway smile

I like my smartphone not for one single feature but because it's small enough and powerful to always have it with me.

*I take photos with it. It's only 5MP but it's good enough for most pictures I want to take. It'll even take passable videos.
*It has over 150 music albums on it.
*I can access the web. I don't do that often because the screen isn't really up to lengthy use but the convenience of having the WWW in my pocket is nice.
*I can read and reply to email no matter where I am without having to lug a laptop around. On holiday that's great. I can of course send pictures to people while on holiday. In fact I don't bother using USB to transfer pictures to my server I just email them to myself.
*It has GPS plus a navigator. I don't tend to rely on navigators but I was on holiday in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and it's great to be able to bring up a satellite view if you're a little unsure where you need to go when out walking.
*I have the complete Sherlock Holmes series on there. Got 'em in hardcopy at home as well but they are great for a ten minute read while waiting for someone. Got another four or five books on there as well.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 16-Sep-11 12:21:48
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
*I take photos with it. It's only 5MP but it's good enough for most pictures I want to take. It'll even take passable videos.
*It has over 150 music albums on it.
*I can access the web. I don't do that often because the screen isn't really up to lengthy use but the convenience of having the WWW in my pocket is nice.
*I can read and reply to email no matter where I am without having to lug a laptop around. On holiday that's great. I can of course send pictures to people while on holiday. In fact I don't bother using USB to transfer pictures to my server I just email them to myself.
*It has GPS plus a navigator. I don't tend to rely on navigators but I was on holiday in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and it's great to be able to bring up a satellite view if you're a little unsure where you need to go when out walking.
*I have the complete Sherlock Holmes series on there. Got 'em in hardcopy at home as well but they are great for a ten minute read while waiting for someone. Got another four or five books on there as well.

That's where your uses of the product and a business user's uses of the product will differentiate (assuming the user is not abusing the company's expected use of the product).

I was referring to the productivity of the product, and not the bells and whistles that make it a 'gadget' for home users or business people with more interest in gadget than business. Few business folk need to take pictures, have music, use GPS or read Sherlock Holmes in the 9-5 time of the day.

Equally, business users do not need many of the features and gadgets that MS seem to think up to re-invent their OS. It seems to me they ran out of ideas a long time ago. Yes there are better intefaces and web-friendly tools, but this is just eye-candy for the masses.

The office admin worker doesn't need eye candy (in some cases the PC will be slower, so eye candy is not wanted anyway). They need applications which open quickly and reliably, without bugs or crashes.

MS did well with W2K Pro, considering W98SE, and XP was a step in the right direction in some ways. Vista has been nothing but trouble for many users, although it's a lot better than XP if it works, and if you optimise it properly (and if you have decent hardware). Not used Win 7, but have heard that it's better than Vista, but then every OS that comes out always seems to be better, until we get two years down the line, and people realise that the bugs they had are system inherent programming problems, which have no easy solution (winsxs anyone? / Office ribbon anyone?).

Frankly they should be mindful that businesses cannot afford re-training every 3-5 years just to use the same applications, and nor should they. They might keep the eye-candy folk happier, but they are a tiny percentage of the user-base. What they have done in the past is to have basic packages for home users, with business add-ons for businesses and then the really nice stuff at the top end. IMO they should market the basic stuff for businesses, with a higher level for enterprise-type networks / sharing etc. and just leave all the eye-candy in a home-user version.

I'm not against progress, but having a multi-coloured phone instead of the plain black one is not progress.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 14:54:31
Print Post

but the taskbar in windows 7 acts like quick launch in some ways, you stick icons on it like you did with quick launch.
Now i like the task bar in windows 7, but then we are all different.
I am not using office 2010 as I dont like the gui changes.

I don't like it either, I tried a demo of it and could not cope with the ribbon systems, so I reinstalled Publisher from a older version of Office and put on Libre for the rest
To me a phone is to make calls, I think things like the iphone are nothing more than toys, I have a nokia 6300, I have a laptop which is useful but is only normally used when I am out of my home and somewhere else. I have tried a notebook and the screen was too small for me. You could say I am an anti portable device person. eg. I didnt buy a PSP because there is no easy way to output it to a monitor.

agree to a certain degree.
i donwloaded windows 8, stuck it on my laptop but found out that it most of the drivers are not there, so gave up on that idea, sure i could look around for windows 7 drivers, but can't be bothered.
Stuck Linux back on there now, at least they can be bothered with drivers.

Yeah I know windows 8 is only a developer preview.

If I can take everything of one of the drives on this desktop I will try it on there.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 15:39:08
Print Post

I disagree. I've had a decent smartphone for the last six months (HTC Desire) that has finally opened me up to the mobile world. I can finally see the attraction of a decent tablet and I think the old desktop+mouse+screen combo is going to die out. Or at least be restricted to technical software developers like me and we are a shrinking minority.

I got myself a smartphone in the middle of this year, only a HTC wildfire. but i think for a lot of web browsing it is too small, even the Desire which have a larger screen is too small, I just find all mobile phone screens too small.

For accessing Facebook, sending email they are fine.

Not sure what use a tablet is to be honest, they are too large to take very far unless you got a bag, then you may as well take a netbook or small laptop. Business type people who uses netbooks/laptops on trains are not really going to use a tablet due to lack of a keyboard, virtual keyboards just don't cut it.

So I think Microsoft have the right idea here and the Youtube presentation encouraged me. I'm looking forward to the next version of Windows with more personal interest than I have of any OS since Windows XP.

I think it may annoy some people if MS don't put the start menu back, as been said maybe they taken it out to get developer to produce apps for the front end.

Windows is just a way to run software and for a lot of people it won't matter how they get access to that software, but for other people Windows is more.

But will this new Metro UI allow people to pin their own shortcuts on it?

No doubt developers like Google, mozilla and yahoo even will have their own products on the front end, but would i be able to add say a short cut for Vegas?

The other thing bothers me and I think is a big reason that Ms have gone down this Metro UI, is if you click on say Google calender, would it open in Internet Exploder or in the browser you have as default.

IE is losing ground so anything to bring it back on the front of the UI.

the
The only thing that still concerns me a little is sub-pixel addressing (ie;Cleartype and its ilk). My eyes/brain simply cannot handle this technology. This new UI is obviously why MS have been pushing for it but if it can't be disabled then that make genuinely exclude me from 'the revolution' :-/

I don't know,

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 15:59:43
Print Post

Why? Your mouse will still work. The only gestures that can't be done with a mouse are those that require two inputs (eg;zooming).

If no start menu then how are you going to launch other software? i still not sure if you can put your own short cuts on the Metro Ui and even if you can, going from the desktop to the Metro UI will just be a pain.

With the start menu, if I am working with say Vegas and i want to start up photoshop, then it is a easy to click system, one to get the start menu up, the second to click on photoshop.

Come to think of it is is one click for Photoshop as it is on the taskbar.

And scream and scream and stamp your foot until you make yourself sick, right?
Sheesh. Get over it. I've been using computers since the Sinclair Spectrum and yes, change, can be irritating

At least you started with colour and sound then, I started with the ZX80 and a CBM pet at college

but you adapt. I've often thought that Windows would benefit from a large 'app selection' screen. Navigating a start menu is not convenient. Putting your most used icons on the desktop is an improvement - except at present getting back to a clear desktop to select something is problematic. Sure there's a hot key but the whole 'minimise/maximise' process is klunky.

So stop being a Luddite. Give it a fair chance when it becomes available.

I have not put icons ont he desktop for years, with Windows 9x it was the thing to do and with the Amiga for that matter, not that I bothered much with the workbench on my Amiga, easier to use commands.

XP came out and got rid of the My computer on the desktop, and from then on I started to use the start menu a lot more, with windows 7, I put my most used software on the task bar and the ones I use less I click onto the startmenu.

I don't want to go back to some silly phone type UI just to run a bit of software, it is nothing to do with being a Luddite at all.

As been said this is a developer preview and MS may allow people to start up windows 8 in normal desktop mode and also bring back the start menu as it is still in the code.

I see no reason to change anyway, windows 7 does what I want it to do and I am not going to pay out more money for another Os that does the same as the one i am using

Adrian

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 02:51:11
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:

Couldn't agree more. It reduces productivity as you can't find anything, it's all buried away somewhere.

My expertise is with MS Access databases. Ribbon even worse there.

its free and is called 7 taskbar tweaker.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 02:56:43
Print Post

so you think millions of office workers are going to start using virtual keyboard touch screen, unlikely as companies #1 is productivity.

touch screen in the business has specific uses, although companies i have worked for were using touchscreen 10 years back on NT4, so its not exactly a new tech. But for generic office use, a keyboard will always be more efficient than tapping letters on a screen. For me personally I find a mouse efficient as well. Although its been clear for a while microsoft are trying to remove the mouse with the shortcut keys, search bar etc.

At home its a mixed bag, however I see portable devices having a limited market, they a gimmick which will eventually wear off and restrict the market. eg. I know people who have iphones simply because they can, they give no real reason other than that everyone they know has one. Whilst desktop pc's are a shrinking market they will always be around and their replacement is more laptops than little tiny put in your pocket devices.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 17-Sep-11 09:44:09
Print Post

however I see portable devices having a limited market, they a gimmick which will eventually wear off and restrict the market.
One thing I noticed about smart phones is that the apps are a lot better to use than the website equivalent. I mean look at this mess compared to the smart phone version.

John.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 10:00:22
Print Post

The lack of screen space forces application developers to think very carefully about what they need to display and how their software should interact with users.The discipline that such constraints enforce can lead to much better software design. In this instance "less" can be "more" as indeed it should be.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:03:33
Print Post

Is there any reason you can't install the app on a PC?

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:23:32
Print Post

Most people that I know that use smartphones just seem to email and add inane comments to Faceache.

I know the world is changing but I find it so rude to stand in a pub chatting or wherever and then the phone user replies to a text or email.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 17-Sep-11 13:29:08
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Most people that I know that use smartphones just seem to email and add inane comments to Faceache.

Twatter too.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sat 17-Sep-11 15:28:00
Print Post

There are certainly some Linux distributions taking a similar direction.

e.g.
Ubuntu's next release (11.10) is dropping the venerable vanilla Gnome desktop and putting in the Unity desktop (which is actually a compiz plugin). Very much more suited to touch-screen usage, with a large left-hand launcher bar and disposes with the Application menu in favour of "lenses" - more reasonably described as search windows to find apps. It was available as an option in 10.10 and 11.04 alongside Gnome 2.

And I believe Fedora and OpenSUSE are heading in the direction of Gnome Shell running on Gnome 3 which will give a similar kind of interface to Unity.

As always in the Linux world there will still be plenty of other distributions available that stick to more traditional desktop environments. Just looking at official Ubuntu distributions for example: Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (XFCE), Lubuntu (LXDE). And that's just one tiny corner of the Linux distro world. There's always choice smile
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 16:53:23
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

It's been there since 11.04. For anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1WHCEJ9Q8

(experienced) Sat 17-Sep-11 18:55:56
Print Post

even the Desire which have a larger screen is too small, I just find all mobile phone screens too small.

Screen size is one of the reasons I got the Desire HD, not only works fine for web, its invaluable for carrying a stack of pdf'd travel books around with me. Wouldn't want to read a novel on it, but that's not why I bought it.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 18-Sep-11 09:42:43
Print Post

If anyone successfully installs this, can you please post results.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 11:02:12
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

I've installed it on VMware 8 Workstation. Seems to work okay - can't say I am a huge fan of the interface, but there you go..

The thing that annoys me the most: how does one close an Metro app??? It's not obvious (admittedly I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it) and I've taken to firing up the Task Manager to stop them..
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Sep-11 14:06:48
Print Post

I won't be trying. Using a three year old laptop at present. Eye candy doesn't agree with the cooling system. smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 18-Sep-11 15:35:16
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
The thing that annoys me the most: how does one close an Metro app??? It's not obvious (admittedly I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it) and I've taken to firing up the Task Manager to stop them..
You can't - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/window...

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:00:00
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Tried to install it on a spare machine, with spare H/D

Kept asking for device driver for CD/DVD, I assume I am doing something incorrect.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:14:51
Print Post

It's hideous.

Might be good on a touch screen, but for a desktop it fails.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:42:38
Print Post

Thanks - at least I know it's not just me being dumb.. grin
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:06:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Brunel:
If anyone successfully installs this, can you please post results.

What sort of results?

i installed it on a second hard drive on my desktop.

Computer is a AMD phenom II 3.5Ghz with 8GB of ram.

My view of windows 8 is

It seems to be pretty nippy.
I had some problems with some software not installing even in compatibility mode.

A few BSoD, but that got better once i had some updates and installed some official drivers for the chipset.

Metro is horrid, it really is, may be fine for touch screen, but not for mouse, no start menu yet, but I think that will come at a latter date.

If you are thinking of buying it when it comes out to replace windows 7, don't bother, it is not worth it.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:09:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spasch:
You can't - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/window...

I had a muck around with a few games on the Metro UI and if I go back tot he Metro interface I can still hear the in game music.

Another stupid idea.

Adrian

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:19:45
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

I know the world is changing but I find it so rude to stand in a pub chatting or wherever and then the phone user replies to a text or email.
Oh so do I, that goes without saying. That still leaves plenty of times when there's nothing to do for ten minutes so a Sherlock Holmes story fills the gap nicely smile

It was also interesting on my recent Scottish holiday to look up some info on a monument we found during a walk. It turned out to be for this bloke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beaumont_Neilson

It was quite amusing really because it showed how times change and how fickle human nature was. We got a bit impatient because it took nearly a minute to perform the search and download the Wikipedia page. Ten years ago the idea of walking around the back of beyond and accessing an online encyclopaedia would have been astonishing - now we just whinged because it took nearly a minute smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:24:12)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:29:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
The lack of screen space forces application developers to think very carefully about what they need to display and how their software should interact with users.The discipline that such constraints enforce can lead to much better software design. In this instance "less" can be "more" as indeed it should be.
Yup. The idea of 'Apps' has always irritated me. It's often made out to be something clever and revolutionary but really it's just a workaround for inadequate screen size and/or poor layout. So yes - a great way to concentrate the developer's mind but really a shame that normal web sites can't just adapt.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:29:36)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:32:01
Print Post

so you think millions of office workers are going to start using virtual keyboard touch screen, unlikely as companies #1 is productivity.
No - where'd you get that idea from?

I was just addressing your general point that Microsoft was 'losing it'. I think they are doing the right thing here in trying to produce an OS (or at least a framework/GUI) that works on desktops and mobiles. Mobiles are an up and coming if not already here) way to work with computers. Microsoft have to do something to support them otherwise they will be left behind.

Wrongly or rightly tablets and mobiles are where it's 'happening'. It may be a fad and it might be a step backward but any IT company that ignores them is going to suffer.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-11 10:34:33)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 19-Sep-11 10:42:10
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Although consoles dominate the games market I dont see those who use their desktop pc for gaming using touch screen to play their games with. your hands would always be in the way of the screen and im sure your arms would ache.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 19-Sep-11 11:57:33
Print Post

Good point, can we expect Linnux to do their usual "me too" ?

er Meego, Ubuntu Netbook Launcher, KDE Netboook Launcher...

of course all the above were out before Windows 8, and are more functional from what I've seen of the Windows 8 Developer Preview on my Acer D250
(freechataholic) Mon 19-Sep-11 13:59:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I can't even reach my screen, I like it at a distance.

The last thing I want is finger marks on it.
Anyone touches my screen they are libel to lose their finger.

(freechataholic) Mon 19-Sep-11 14:04:51
Print Post

What sort of results?

i installed it on a second hard drive on my desktop.

Computer is a AMD phenom II 3.5Ghz with 8GB of ram.

My view of windows 8 is

It seems to be pretty nippy.
I had some problems with some software not installing even in compatibility mode.

A few BSoD, but that got better once i had some updates and installed some official drivers for the chipset.

Metro is horrid, it really is, may be fine for touch screen, but not for mouse, no start menu yet, but I think that will come at a latter date.

If you are thinking of buying it when it comes out to replace windows 7, don't bother, it is not worth it.

Agreed.

When using beta Win 7 within minutes I knew that I would be using it from then on.

An hour of Win 8 tells me there is no chance of me using it (by choice).

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 19:50:10
Print Post

try this Never tried it on my smart phone.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Sep-11 10:55:54
Print Post

No - where'd you get that idea from?

I was just addressing your general point that Microsoft was 'losing it'. I think they are doing the right thing here in trying to produce an OS (or at least a framework/GUI) that works on desktops and mobiles. Mobiles are an up and coming if not already here) way to work with computers. Microsoft have to do something to support them otherwise they will be left behind.

Wrongly or rightly tablets and mobiles are where it's 'happening'. It may be a fad and it might be a step backward but any IT company that ignores them is going to suffer.

I never said they shouldnt make an OS for them, I do think tho its wrong to change their desktop OS for them.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:20:47
Print Post

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/5552.html

(sensei) Wed 21-Sep-11 13:07:36
Print Post

Of course if the whole method gets compromised, then there will be white list items being black listed and vice versa.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:48:07
Print Post

OK so I got around to installing win 8 in VB after I'd finished with my virtual Ubuntu server and had enough RAM to do so. (4GB isn't much these days frown ... my 2 year old laptop is showing its age)

It's hardly an upgrade from win 7, there is little difference. OK so the start menu and apps thing is new but apart from that nothing much has changed. Therefore this is not a new OS, it should not be Windows 8 but perhaps Windows 7.1 or Windows 7 tablet edition. Better yet the tablet 'enhancements' should just be a free download for existing win 7 users.

Can't see me ever switching to it as there are no advantages unless actually using a tablet. I can't ever see myself owning a Windows tablet either, what my iPhone can't do or needs a bigger screen for I do on my laptop, there's no need for a 'full featured' device in the (small) gap between. (the same reason I don't have an iPad)

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:01:07
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Sounds familiar. In another thread a while back I likened Windows Vista to NT4 and theri successors W2K Pro to Windows 7 (from the perspective of the product doing whaat it should for users). In other words, Vista and NT4 were Beta systems imo.

Equally, Milliemium was no change over W98SE, and XP was a slight improvement over W2K in some respects, but not in others. In fact, ME and XP is some ways had their own problems, possibly due to new ideas being thrown in.

So...the MS cycle is:

Beta Operating System (W95, NT, Vista)

Functional Operating System * (W98SE, W2K Pro, Win 7)

Prop Operating System ** (ME, XP, Win 8)

* After Service Pack 2 where applicable

** 'Prop' meaning it fills out the market for 2-3 years until the next Beta arrives.

So a single good product every twelve years (W98SE and W2K Pro were for different markets). On that basis we should be looking to get Windows 10 or 11 around the year 2022. smile

I'll be sticking with Vista until forced to change due to PC repair requirements, or when I have a new build. Vista is actually very workable, but it takes about two years to suss out all the things slowing down the system, by which point you're looking for an alternative. When will microsoft actually release a version with a step-by-step advanced installation, such as:

Do you use wireless or wired networking? Yes / No / Don't know
Do you use IPv6? Yes / No / Don't Know

etc.

Basically so folk can have a barebones setup, should they want it, rather than Gigabytes of bloated software and patches / fixes for things they don't use.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:14:50
Print Post

When will microsoft actually release a version with a step-by-step advanced installation,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evalu...

John.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to