Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:00:49
Print Post

Re: Firefox 7

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
With Firefox, if I enter something into the address bar, it will not search it will add .com on the end so I get something I don't want
That's old internet explorer behaviour. FF does not and has never done that. You may trip it up if you add a '.' or a ':' because then it treats it as a url.

Edited by 12eason (Sat 08-Oct-11 12:01:52)

Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:47:42
Print Post

I have to agree with you zyborg47 .
Unfortunately its only a shadow of the earlier versions, the incredibly excessive memory usage requires fixing but it is a hard defect to rectify that is exacerbated by supercilious add ins that FF alows to be infused into its browser. FF does perform better without any add ins but it requires a lot of work to get it back in competition with Chrome or IE9.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-11 14:13:50
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

That doesn't even make sense. It doesn't require work to remove addons, they're not installed in the first place.

Honestly, there are a lot of things FF is bad at compared to others, but some of the reasoning in this thread is just ignorant.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Oct-11 16:15:51
Print Post

[re: HarrysPlusnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by HarrysPlusnet:
Colorful Tabs is incompatible

Works ok on my FF7!!

I uninstalled it and re-installed and it's OK now smile

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Oct-11 17:02:48
Print Post

[re: HarrysPlusnet] [link to this post]

yeah it seems fixed in 7.0.1 now. Only took them 3 versions, what were 4,5,6? all betas masqueruading as stable versions?

incidently since IE and firefox both love leaking memory I have 16 gig ram arriving tommorow, it may sound crazy but its simply to allow me to use browsers without restarting them every couple of days to flush memory.

Probably be able to run a VM machine or 2 also hopefully.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 10-Oct-11 17:06:55)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Oct-11 17:04:36
Print Post

yes thats the fault for you thinking the address bar is for searching.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Oct-11 09:34:04
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
yes thats the fault for you thinking the address bar is for searching.

It proves that chrome have gone forward and got rid of the search box, which is not needed. i thought firefox bar was suppose to be awesome.

Chrome is not perfect, but I think it got Mozilla on the run other wise they would not be putting out all the versions that they are putting out.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:43:58
Print Post

I'd rather have the two separate on my PC.

But on my netbook I could see the benefit of only having one

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User white43
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 13:19:13
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

All this "Firefox crashes....uses tons of memory.....can't do this or that".

TBH - I don't agree. I've been using FF since 3.5 and allowed all the upgrades. It doesn't crash. The only times it will crash is if your installation of Windows in borked. I know this having worked in IT Support for over 5 years and seen FF installed on unstable Windows and stable Windows.

I'm running it on Win7 64 Bit and I get no memory leaks or crashes. I was previously running it on a 4 yr old PC with Win7 32 bit. Again, no issues.

It is still a cleverer browser than IE. IE, quite frankly annoys the hell out of me. Chrome isn't compatible with enough things I do. (It doesn't work with Citrix gateways very well - if you know what that is). It is more configuarable - and allows you more things that you want to do. Not what Microshaft wants you to do.

I like having a removable separate search bar. I hate sharing it in Chrome. Horses for courses though. As for a quick release schedule. Rapid Application Development - allows issues to be dealt with much faster, than IE, which moves like a slow-dinosaur.

It's the choice browser for Linux users. Or rather, the most commonly installed browser there. I don't think this browser is being 'killed' at all.

-----
Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky Unlimited
D-Link DSL 2640S

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/979136501.png[/IMG]

Edited by white43 (Tue 11-Oct-11 13:21:00)

Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 11-Oct-11 14:44:27
Print Post

[re: white43] [link to this post]

I'm running 3.6 and happy with it.

All the add on I want work with it and can't remember the last time it crashed.

I find it quick enough, I'm not going to worry about an extra millisecond.

Start up time isn't an issue as I use "Sleep" so FF come on in an instant.

Not happy that they have removed the status bar in 4+ (even though there is an add on to mimic it)

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to