Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Oct-11 16:22:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 BSODs continue

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I recently started getting Bluescreens myself, mainly while playing TF2. It would restart sluggishly, sometimes with wiped bios values. Then on one occasion the 5 second timeout in grub took about 30 seconds to count down, and the clock in bios was skipping every 5 seconds. Weird stuff. After pulling out graphics, memory, cmos battery etc I eventually found it was my mouse. It has a dodgy cable and I think some wires are getting crossed. Not sure if that relates to your problem or not tbh. Try running prime95 for a few hours.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Oct-11 20:26:08
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Aye, prime95 has already been suggested on the W7 Forum. I've run it briefly with Speedfan running to monitor temperatures but I don't know what temperature is ok and at what point I call a halt to prime95.

Tony
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Oct-11 20:41:28
Print Post

Even before prime95 causes a heat related bsod, there will be calculation errors in the tests due to heat. As for temp, I'd say 70 is too high. The important thing to watch for is that a graph of the temperature in speedfan stays at an equilibrium level for a good while without any errors in prime95. Considering your previous bsods don't seem to have been caused by processor stress though, it is a bit of a long shot.

Aside from usb peripherals, I can only remember a built-in 56k modem and a wireless dongle causing frequent random bsods.

Edited by 12eason (Fri 28-Oct-11 20:42:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Oct-11 21:31:41
Print Post

One additional problem has occurred to me. Occasionally I'm getting Firefox crashing (V.3.6.23) on start up and no amount of restarting gets it going. The only solution so far has been a quick reinstall. Never had this problem until the last few weeks.

Don't know if it may be relevant.

Tony
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Oct-11 23:15:27
Print Post

Windows 7 is the dumbest Microsoft Operating system when it comes to drivers.

The hardware drivers usually come with xp, vista drivers together. Windows 7 installs the xp drivers all by itself and thus crashes all the time. I had to uninstall the drivers, and go through the hard drive and delete all the xp drivers and manually install the vista/windows 7 drivers.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 13:09:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I've now reinstalled Windows 7 Professional several times, both 64-bit and 32-bit. All of the resultant systems have suffered from BSODs.

2 or 3 times (less frequently than BSODs) the PC freezes / locks / stops. Nothing happens, the mouse laser goes out. Has to be powered down and rebooted.

Apart form the NIC and USB3 drivers, all were loaded by Windows itself.

The most recent install went BSOD during the actual install "Finalising Installation" phase, long before I'd had chance to do any localisation. The dumps, as far as I can see, point to any specific faulting item.

This installation BSOD made me think of hardware issues - despite the PC running XP Pro fine for 7 months.

Basic System Spec:
CPU: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i5 760
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P55-USB3
Memory: 4 Gbytes - 2 x 2Gbytes Hyperam DIMMs
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Sound Card: Integrated
Hard Drive: 1 Tb Seagate ST31000528AS (partitioned C: 150Gb / D: rest)

I've twice run MEMTEST86 overnight - no problems found.
I've twice run Hiren's HDD Scan - no problems found.
I've reset the BIOS to Optimized Defaults - still BSODs.
I've swapped the memory modules round - still BSODs.
I've run on one of the two memory modules - still BSODs.
I've changed the BIOS Performance Enhance option from Turbo to Standard - still BSODs.
I've also reset the BIOS to 'optimized defaults'.

I'm beginning to run out of ideas as to what it might be.

A friend wondered if it was a 'bad' copy of Windows - it's the full retail version purchased from Amazon UK.

I've posted all details and diagnostics on the Windows 7 Forum, though nothing back as yet.

Any help/thoughts would be most appreciated.

I had similar problems sometime back. Replaced memory, graphics card, HDD, etc. The problem bsod would be itermitent. The only thing that wasnt replaced was the psu. The bios hardware monitor and various utils showed that the psu gave the correct voltage readings. Finally the psu was replaced and bingo the problems dissapeared. Would recommend OCdragons advice regarding psu.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Oct-11 15:10:33
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

You could well have a very good point. Though it begs the question of why it ran XP perfectly for 7 months or so and only started when I installed W7.

Tony
Standard User BP1
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 15:50:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
You could well have a very good point. Though it begs the question of why it ran XP perfectly for 7 months or so and only started when I installed W7.

The psu i replaced was 500w rated. It funny how this problamatic psu works on a vista test machine without problems. Any how was really pleased when the bsods dissapeared with the replacement psu.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User acting_funny
(member) Sat 29-Oct-11 16:10:22
Print Post

core i5s are rated to 72°c by intel (http://ark.intel.com/products/48496/Intel-Core-i5-76...) if you want to test prime95 further.

Edited by acting_funny (Sat 29-Oct-11 16:11:08)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Oct-11 17:19:52
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Just looked at the PSU.

It's a Coolermaster RS-500-PSAP-J3

DC Output   |   +3.3V   |   +5V   |  +12V1    |  +12V2  |    -12V    |  +5VSB   |
            |    22A    |   20A   |   20A     |   20A   |    0.8A    |  2.5A    |
Max.Output  |          130W       |         360W        |    9.6W    |  12.5W   |

I've no idea whether this PSU is in the good, bad or ugly category.

Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to