Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-11 07:29:31
Print Post

Re: Help with infected PC

[re: neathblue] [link to this post]

Is there a "COA" sticker on the case somewhere that includes the OEM key for XP? if so, all you need is an XP OEM (Probably XP Home) installation CD.

If you can't reinstall from scratch, use another machine to download the Kaspersky Rescue ISO and burn it to CD. Boot the affected PC from this CD, do a full scan and fix everything that's found.
The Falcon Four boot CD will allow you to update and run MBAM, SAS and others from it.
Be warned that whatever you use, if operating system files are infected and untreatable, you will need to reinstall anyway.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 07:39:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

OK, although I'd expect the key to be on the Microsoft sticker on the machine if from a recognised brand or reputable OEM.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-Nov-11 08:31:23
Print Post

[re: neathblue] [link to this post]

Hello Steve,

Is this computer a big brand name computer?

I'm guessing from the specs that the computer dates back to around 2000-2002, in that period was the time the manufacturers didnt supply a restore disk. They had a hidden restore partition on the hard drive, which would format and install a fresh copy of windows on the main part. Can you check the computer to see if you have a restore partition.

Also, how do you know the computer is full of malware and virus's if you dont have malware and virus software installed telling you?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neathblue
(learned) Sun 27-Nov-11 13:54:39
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your help, in the end i wiped the machine and had to reinstall windows 2000 pro
as i did not have a xp disk,

steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to