Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:52:38
Print Post

Re: IE: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

If Adrian only used the beta, and that just for a short while, I'm not sure he can possibly know.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:58:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I think you need to put things into perspective.

Windows XP is in excess of 10 years old. Microsoft bend over backwards supporting it and making it secure, they still release security updates for IE8 and the entire operating system.

IE9 uses too many technologies to fit in to Windows XP without modification, such as sandboxing and MIC, it isn't just a case of Microsoft being awkward and putting a line in their installer to stop installation if the OS = Windows XP.

I think it is absolutely outrageous to use that as a case to call MS greedy.

How do you think Windows XP is better than Windows 7, are you playing 10 year old games on a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB RAM?

To be fair XP has things better than 7, such as parts of the GUI.

I am using win7 but only after I manually put the quick launch bar back on and using a 3rd party tool to make the taskbar partially like how XP was.

XP also accelerates more 2d stuff.

However overall I think win7 is superior sigificantly.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 22:03:58
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

If Cleartype is a problem on your computer (it's crystal clear on mine) use TweakIE9 to disable it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 22:05:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

But you can stop it happening with Chrome
And you'll be able to stop it happening with IE. So, no difference there.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 17-Dec-11 22:46:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I think you need to put things into perspective.

Windows XP is in excess of 10 years old. Microsoft bend over backwards supporting it and making it secure, they still release security updates for IE8 and the entire operating system.
IE9 uses too many technologies to fit in to Windows XP without modification, such as sandboxing and MIC, it isn't just a case of Microsoft being awkward and putting a line in their installer to stop installation if the OS = Windows XP.

I think it is absolutely outrageous to use that as a case to call MS greedy.

How do you think Windows XP is better than Windows 7, are you playing 10 year old games on a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB RAM?
And so they should support it they where quite happy to sell it, it did not have a shelf life,so they should continue in supporting xp, as for securing it, lol, plugging holes, and fixing bugs, maybe but securing it no, that's why we all need 3rd party firewall and av solutions, Microsoft keep churning out o/s after o/s vista win7 /8 ,
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 23:02:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Microsoft don't want to sell XP, they want to sell Windows 7. They sell XP because companies can't be bothered to move with the times and update their software even after 10 years, a whole decade.

I bet you are miffed Microsoft aren't releasing a patch to enable IPv6 support in MS-DOS?

We need antivirus solutions because users click "yes" to anything. Other operating systems need antivirus too should they be subject to people installing questionable software.

Speak for yourself by the way - I have Windows machines without antivirus and built in firewall and they never get security breaches.

"They keep churning out operating systems" - what an utterly stupid thing to say, should they have just stopped making anything when they released Windows v1?

Please, at least make logical points not just unsubstantiated and unconstructive reasons why you dislike MS.

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 17-Dec-11 23:03:23)

Standard User vimto_girl
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 23:09:15
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
If Cleartype is a problem on your computer (it's crystal clear on mine) use TweakIE9 to disable it.
TweakIE9 can't disable Cleartype in IE9, no matter what it claims. That function doesn't work. I don't know any tool that can.

Probably you couldn't tell cos your eyes couldn't tell the difference anyway : p

(jokes, but seriously, some of us can't live with it - it looks crystal clear to you, but not to us, even if we came and looked at the same screen. no computer, monitor or setup can get around it. i know, cos ive tried them all)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 00:10:53
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
9 is worse than 8 if that is possible, it is a horrid browser and I only used it for a couple of hours when it was beta.
Hardly the testimony of an experienced user then.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 07:34:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

it did not have a shelf life
Wrong. All Microsoft software has a "shelf life" in the form of an End of Support date; this has already been extended for XP. This is no different to any other OS. Try getting support for OS X 10.1 nowadays.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 18-Dec-11 09:22:24
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
In reply to a post by AEP:
TweakIE9 can't disable Cleartype in IE9, no matter what it claims. That function doesn't work. I don't know any tool that can.
DWritedllwrapper http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to