Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:40:41
Print Post

IE: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912
Internet Explorer: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

From January, Internet Explorer (IE) users will be automatically updated to the latest version of the browser.

Microsoft said it was starting the project to update millions of machines to improve security online.

Future updates to the browser would be applied without a user's knowledge to help beat scammers catching people out with fake updates.

Those who did not want their browser updated could opt out or uninstall the software, said Microsoft.
I wonder if this will be a Microsoft own goal.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 11:47:25
Print Post

Re: IE: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

oh goody, we all get IE9 wether we want it or not.

So how do I keep IE8 on my machine then?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:50:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The linked article suggests that will be possible.

"Microsoft said it had made tools that would let people avoid or uninstall the more up-to-date versions of the browsers if they wanted to stay with an older copy."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:50:37
Print Post

Turn off automatic updates.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:03:16
Print Post

Makes sense to me. Most end users don't care what browser is on their computer, and it's obviously better if the majority are using the same release.

I can't think why anyone would want to stick with 8 rather than 9, and those who stick with 7 or 6 just cause problems for web developers.

It's a bit like all the fuss about IE being pre-bundled with Windows 7. In the end, who really cared?
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:21:13
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Great! Now I won't have to load my websites with cr*p just to pander to MS non-standards browsers.

Bring it on!!

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (waiting to see)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:46:08
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

Agreed.

From January it says. Will be looking with interest at February's browser stats sites.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:09:49
Print Post

Exactly. IE 9 is far more compliant than earlier versions. No doubt this is one of the reasons for the move.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:11:05
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

All the signs are that Chrome will be the number 2 browser. Guess where Microsoft got the idea from to update their browser silently.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 14:41:28
Print Post

Let's hope they never merge.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 16:04:42
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Well on my xpsp3 machine i use IE7 IE8 sucks so i won't use the piece of.... but if they make it so ie9 will install and work then find but they can go and take a run and jump if they think i'll ever use IE8
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Dec-11 16:40:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
In reply to a post by camieabz:
Well on my xpsp3 machine i use IE7 IE8 sucks so i won't use the piece of.... but if they make it so ie9 will install and work then find but they can go and take a run and jump if they think i'll ever use IE8
I too will not be re -installing IE8 no end of problems with it, and i could not get it to work in the way i wanted it to, IE8 was/is a mircocrap failure, and is no more secure than IE7 , If they seriously expect us all to follow like good little sheep, then they should make IE9 available to XP users, but the they wont do this ,why because that isn't in their greedy interests, i have used win7 vista as well and xp wins hands down

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 18:25:37
Print Post

There are so many computers too incompetant to press "Install" during the setup of IE9 during Windows Update that I think this is a good call.

Besides, if you have Microsoft Automatic Update turned ON, then you get exactly what you asked for... It's not silent, it's automatic.

There is no reason to stay with IE8 over IE9 really, savvy ones who have found a reason why they like IE8 better will be savvy enough to opt out.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:11:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
All the signs are that Chrome will be the number 2 browser. Guess where Microsoft got the idea from to update their browser silently.

The bbc article and this title is a bit misleading.

I read the blog from the MS guy.

All it is that they adding IE9 as a critical update and if windows update is set to manual, then it wont be a silent update.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 17-Dec-11 21:56:01)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:39:13
Print Post

Makes sense to me. Most end users don't care what browser is on their computer, and it's obviously better if the majority are using the same release.

I can't think why anyone would want to stick with 8 rather than 9, and those who stick with 7 or 6 just cause problems for web developers.

It's a bit like all the fuss about IE being pre-bundled with Windows 7. In the end, who really cared?

9 is worse than 8 if that is possible, it is a horrid browser and I only used it for a couple of hours when it was beta. Not going to update to it and I don;t really use IE anyway.

but then I don't and never had had Auto updates switched on

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:40:57
Print Post

But you can stop it happening with Chrome, I use Iron which is chrome but without the Google rubbish, thankfully it don't auto update, but it also goes to far the other way, because the only way I know there is a up date is when I visit their website.

But Chrome is easy to stop updating

Adrian

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:42:11
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I think you need to put things into perspective.

Windows XP is in excess of 10 years old. Microsoft bend over backwards supporting it and making it secure, they still release security updates for IE8 and the entire operating system.

IE9 uses too many technologies to fit in to Windows XP without modification, such as sandboxing and MIC, it isn't just a case of Microsoft being awkward and putting a line in their installer to stop installation if the OS = Windows XP.

I think it is absolutely outrageous to use that as a case to call MS greedy.

How do you think Windows XP is better than Windows 7, are you playing 10 year old games on a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB RAM?

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:42:45
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
There are so many computers too incompetant to press "Install" during the setup of IE9 during Windows Update that I think this is a good call.

Besides, if you have Microsoft Automatic Update turned ON, then you get exactly what you asked for... It's not silent, it's automatic.

There is no reason to stay with IE8 over IE9 really, savvy ones who have found a reason why they like IE8 better will be savvy enough to opt out.

Still got IE6 on a Xp machine, but again it is never used, saying that the computer is not on the net that often either, so makes no odd.

Adrian

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:43:10
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Why is IE9 worse than IE8? Valid reasons please, not just "Oh they've moved the location of the favourites button".

(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:45:11
Print Post

I can't think why anyone would want to stick with 8 rather than 9
Uh, Cleartype?

Silent security updates seems the only real news here, because Automatic Updates already tries to update you to 9, and there is already a Microsoft tool available to prevent this.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:52:38
Print Post

If Adrian only used the beta, and that just for a short while, I'm not sure he can possibly know.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 21:58:52
Print Post

Windows XP is in excess of 10 years old. Microsoft bend over backwards supporting it and making it secure, they still release security updates for IE8 and the entire operating system.

IE9 uses too many technologies to fit in to Windows XP without modification, such as sandboxing and MIC, it isn't just a case of Microsoft being awkward and putting a line in their installer to stop installation if the OS = Windows XP.

How do you think Windows XP is better than Windows 7, are you playing 10 year old games on a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB RAM?

To be fair XP has things better than 7, such as parts of the GUI.

I am using win7 but only after I manually put the quick launch bar back on and using a 3rd party tool to make the taskbar partially like how XP was.

XP also accelerates more 2d stuff.

However overall I think win7 is superior sigificantly.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 22:03:58
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

If Cleartype is a problem on your computer (it's crystal clear on mine) use TweakIE9 to disable it.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 22:05:04
Print Post

But you can stop it happening with Chrome
And you'll be able to stop it happening with IE. So, no difference there.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 17-Dec-11 22:46:44
Print Post

And so they should support it they where quite happy to sell it, it did not have a shelf life,so they should continue in supporting xp, as for securing it, lol, plugging holes, and fixing bugs, maybe but securing it no, that's why we all need 3rd party firewall and av solutions, Microsoft keep churning out o/s after o/s vista win7 /8 ,
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 23:02:16
Print Post

Microsoft don't want to sell XP, they want to sell Windows 7. They sell XP because companies can't be bothered to move with the times and update their software even after 10 years, a whole decade.

I bet you are miffed Microsoft aren't releasing a patch to enable IPv6 support in MS-DOS?

We need antivirus solutions because users click "yes" to anything. Other operating systems need antivirus too should they be subject to people installing questionable software.

Speak for yourself by the way - I have Windows machines without antivirus and built in firewall and they never get security breaches.

"They keep churning out operating systems" - what an utterly stupid thing to say, should they have just stopped making anything when they released Windows v1?

Please, at least make logical points not just unsubstantiated and unconstructive reasons why you dislike MS.

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 17-Dec-11 23:03:23)

Standard User vimto_girl
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 23:09:15
Print Post

If Cleartype is a problem on your computer (it's crystal clear on mine) use TweakIE9 to disable it.
TweakIE9 can't disable Cleartype in IE9, no matter what it claims. That function doesn't work. I don't know any tool that can.

Probably you couldn't tell cos your eyes couldn't tell the difference anyway : p

(jokes, but seriously, some of us can't live with it - it looks crystal clear to you, but not to us, even if we came and looked at the same screen. no computer, monitor or setup can get around it. i know, cos ive tried them all)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 00:10:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
9 is worse than 8 if that is possible, it is a horrid browser and I only used it for a couple of hours when it was beta.
Hardly the testimony of an experienced user then.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 07:34:10
Print Post

it did not have a shelf life
Wrong. All Microsoft software has a "shelf life" in the form of an End of Support date; this has already been extended for XP. This is no different to any other OS. Try getting support for OS X 10.1 nowadays.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 18-Dec-11 09:22:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
TweakIE9 can't disable Cleartype in IE9, no matter what it claims. That function doesn't work. I don't know any tool that can.
DWritedllwrapper http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Dec-11 11:02:15
Print Post

I have several pieces of hardware that only work on XP. Not because MS has done anything, but more that the manufacturers of the hardware have stopped providing drivers.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (waiting to see)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 12:07:02
Print Post

Why is IE9 worse than IE8? Valid reasons please, not just "Oh they've moved the location of the favourites button".

It is just the GUI, it is not that nice to use, I gave up on it after a hour to be honest.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 12:08:25
Print Post

If Adrian only used the beta, and that just for a short while, I'm not sure he can possibly know.

The GUI put me off to be honest, if the browser is better in use i have no idea. but then I think I only use IE8 for a hour or so

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 12:13:52
Print Post

But you can stop it happening with Chrome
And you'll be able to stop it happening with IE. So, no difference there.

True to a certain extent, Microsoft are a bit better here than google. Microsoft at least tell you how to stop Ie updating, google don't tell you about chrome, in fact most people have no idea what version of chrome they have got.

Mozilla have also said about auto updating with Firefox, which is not a good idea since almost after every update extensions have problems.

i will stick with Iron, no auto update at all, just a plain browser that does what it should do.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 12:16:02
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
9 is worse than 8 if that is possible, it is a horrid browser and I only used it for a couple of hours when it was beta.
Hardly the testimony of an experienced user then.

The GUI put me off before I done much browsing., but then I am not a really a IE user, I think I have used Ie a total of ten hours since I got my first 133Mhz machine all those years ago.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-11 12:17:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
I have several pieces of hardware that only work on XP. Not because MS has done anything, but more that the manufacturers of the hardware have stopped providing drivers.

yeah, I have a plotter that will only work with XP, which is why I keep my old Xp machine up and running.

Adrian

Standard User vimto_girl
(newbie) Sun 18-Dec-11 13:10:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I don't know any tool that can.
DWritedllwrapper http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper
Speak of the devil.

Forgive me if I do not want to install and keep an untrusted DLL or EXE on my system, which even with the latest version still has printing and font rendering issues in IE9 and which could be silently removed at any point by Microsoft updates.

You may just have to accept that Cleartype is a really, really big and legitimate reason why someone may want to keep IE8 over IE9.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Dec-11 16:19:39
Print Post

Probably you couldn't tell cos your eyes couldn't tell the difference anyway : p

(jokes, but seriously, some of us can't live with it - it looks crystal clear to you, but not to us, even if we came and looked at the same screen. no computer, monitor or setup can get around it. i know, cos ive tried them all)

Replacing some files disables it, I have done so on all my rigs.

http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to