Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 10:20:55
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DavidFinbarr:
I found using Win 8 a pain on a non touchscreen.

In the end got is set up to be very much like Win 7 so would be a pointless upgrade.

yet we will see review sites keep praising it calling it innotive simply because its changed. Makes me wonder sometimes what these review sites get in return for the reviews.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Thu 01-Mar-12 11:52:46
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I hate change for change sake.

The new BBC web site I think is an example the HP has gone from being customizable,
to a complete mess.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:20:07
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DavidFinbarr:
I hate change for change sake.

The new BBC web site I think is an example the HP has gone from being customizable,
to a complete mess.

Agree on both points. Microsoft is trying to re-invent its products, and the only way it can do that is to change the way people use them. Hence why Office 2007 is a complete cluster....

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:29:16
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
A lot has been taken away unfortunately - as there is no start button, how do you shut down the machine or access programs like Notepad ?

The start menu have been replaced with the metro screen ive included a few print screens of the new ways to do things.

First of all to access the start screen (metro screen) just move you mouse the the bottom left were the start button used to be and the new start button just appears (some reasons when i try print screen it makes it disappear)

To shut down you press the WIN Key + I on your keyboard then click power (see here) You can also swipe down (with mouse or finger on touch) in the top right hand corner the bring the charms menu up click settings and it brings the previous menu up to shup down (see here)

To launch programs you can launch them by either shortcut on your desktop like always or launch them from the metro screen (see here)

If its something you dont want pinned on your desktop or metro screen, While on the metro screen just start to type the program you want to launch just like with start search (see here)

TBH i actually dont mind metro i cant say its made my life and easy or harder its just a change people moan and moan about change all the time but i say get over it if you dont like it dont use it simple as lol, I personally have not used the start menu as a menu since vista the only time i ever used it, i used start search witch basically metro dose, Yes i know some people still do use it as a menu but im sure they'll get over it quick.

When Microsoft put the start menu in in the first place you got people saying what do we need the start menu for anyway what was wrong with the old way of doing things and now there all like oh no dont take the start menu away (witch there not they've just remodeled it into full screen)

Thats my view on it anyway

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:40:25
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

You can also show all installed items (sort of like "Programs" on star menu), by right clicking on the Start screen and selecting "All Apps" from the menu at the bottom of the screen.

The more I use the new interface the more I like it, but inevitably a lot of people will give up without giving it a chance. A bit like all the requests you see on help forums for replacing Windows 7 with XP. People get very stuck in their habits and are unwilling to embrace change.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-12 12:50:15
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You can also show all installed items (sort of like "Programs" on star menu), by right clicking on the Start screen and selecting "All Apps" from the menu at the bottom of the screen.

The more I use the new interface the more I like it, but inevitably a lot of people will give up without giving it a chance. A bit like all the requests you see on help forums for replacing Windows 7 with XP. People get very stuck in their habits and are unwilling to embrace change.

Ahh yes i forgot about that one, and you are right people never give things a chance any little (or big) change and there instantly all dissing it but then again if they left it the same all these years then you can guarantee youd get oh typical Microsoft never change things leave it the same old boring way never innovate they just copy apple cant please some people i suppose lol.

Some people also argue that metro will be bad for PC novices because its too much of a change well you dont get much more of one that my mum shes been using comps for about 6 year and she still forgets how copy and past lol thats how bad she is, She can load the web page she wants to use and WMP that's the extent of her pc usage but she loves metro she says its more clear for her with the cleaner big tiles (shes never liked the start menu so everything had to be put on the desktop for her)

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:00:09
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I use Office for the basic things.
Got 2007 to replace 2003, ending up giving 2007 to GF.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:04:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
yeah its touchscreen focused now and thats where all the consumer growth is which is why microsoft went that route. They seem hooked on the idea of sharing the same UI across all devices.

It don't work on a non-touch screen computer, I am using it now, but it is a pain in the neck, it is ok once you in the desktop, but even then it wants to go back to Metro apps for showing videos and photos.

TBH, windows 8 is a mess.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 23:54:53
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Yes, that works well - thanks!

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 02-Mar-12 05:17:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
yeah its touchscreen focused now and thats where all the consumer growth is which is why microsoft went that route. They seem hooked on the idea of sharing the same UI across all devices.

It don't work on a non-touch screen computer, I am using it now, but it is a pain in the neck, it is ok once you in the desktop, but even then it wants to go back to Metro apps for showing videos and photos.

TBH, windows 8 is a mess.

Mine don't they open in classic media player and photo viewer found in windows 7 nothing opens in metro that I don't want to open in metro Web pages chrome music vids media player pics photo viewer email metro mail because I want it to other than the mail I've found it no different to win 7 at all well except the Majour speed increase

Ash

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to