Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Fri 02-Mar-12 07:55:46
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Whilst I agree on the change for changes sake argument, I remember people hating Windows 95 when it launched.

So much so, I remember there being a way to have the windows 3.1 explorer in 95, cant for the life of me remember how you changed it,but there was a way.

I have not used Metro (have not used Windows for anything other than 3D movies in a few years), but it looks ugly, almost as ugly as Ubuntu's Unity tongue
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:16:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Mine don't they open in classic media player and photo viewer found in windows 7 nothing opens in metro that I don't want to open in metro Web pages chrome music vids media player pics photo viewer email metro mail because I want it to other than the mail I've found it no different to win 7 at all well except the Majour speed increase

Ash

Mine did, just opened another picture and it took me to the Metro app to do it, but this time it said I got new apps to open the picture and asked me if I wanted to do so in future and now pictures open in photo viewer on the desktop.

i don't find it that much faster than windows 7 t be honest, it might be because it is on a slower hard drive than my windows 7 install, but I doubt that will make a massive difference. Maybe over the weekend I will install it on the SDD unit. Depends if I can be bothered.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:18:48
Print Post

[re: Wonko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wonko:
Whilst I agree on the change for changes sake argument, I remember people hating Windows 95 when it launched.

So much so, I remember there being a way to have the windows 3.1 explorer in 95, cant for the life of me remember how you changed it,but there was a way.

I have not used Metro (have not used Windows for anything other than 3D movies in a few years), but it looks ugly, almost as ugly as Ubuntu's Unity tongue

I never used windows 3.1 much, I came to PCs in windows 95 days, using a Amiga before that. But windows 8 may turn people away from MS and turn them to Macs; I already a know a few people who have changed over the last couple of years.

Macs are on the up and it is only the price that puts some people off

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:20:28
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If you don't like what's happening to Windows you'd be horrified at what is happening to OS X. Next step is that you'll only be able to install software form the App Store.
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Fri 02-Mar-12 12:33:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I honestly can never understand why someone would choose to have an Apple, I have tried countless times over the years and every single time I just end up thinking "Why the hell am I using this"

The hardware is usually pretty decent, its just MacOS that I cannot stand.

But, to each their own, whilst windows has the monopoly on games, dont expect MacOS / Linux or similar to take the market share any time soon.

For all the complaints about windows, its runs on just about every hardware configuration, its a piece of cake to install drivers on, and just works.

I adore Linux, its all I run at home (apart from for 3D movies as mentioned above) but Windows is one heck of an OS that gets a lot of unfair criticism from some people, most of the times when I have had people moaning about windows its been a hardware fault or user fault. Its not perfect, but compared to the alternatives its the best for your average user.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 12:46:38
Print Post

[re: Wonko] [link to this post]

The biggest problem with Macs is Apple. I like the machines, and I like the OS, but Apple are restricting it more and more. It is only a matter of time before we have the situation, as with iOS, that users will only be able to install software via the App Store. And it will only be developers who cough up $90 a year who will be able to publish their apps there.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Fri 02-Mar-12 13:20:45
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

We too were Apple enthusiasts from our early days in digital publishing (late 1980s) when Apple/Quark offered our first practical WYSIWYG. We kept a PC for office jobs like accounts and mailings because Apple software was not around, and we hated it.

After struggling with DOS Apple handled graphics and fonts with ease, whereas the Postscript typesetters of the time would crash big-time if you even whispered ' PC' or 'Truetype Font' near them. We once lost two days' production because of this.

But Apple was easily twice the price of comparable PCs, so we took the PC and XP road when we retired. We found much more software, and we can still do the occasional publishing job despite Windows inferiority on graphics. Going from Quark to PDF is the secret.

Today we're well pleased with W7, but I hasten to add that our printers are still very much on Macs, and they much prefer Adobe to Quark. I'd agree on this, for Q8 is bloated and very clumsy, but after 20+ years old dogs and new tricks ...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 22:41:19
Print Post

I'm not sure what Metro is aupposed to be. I'm not sure Microsoft are sure what it's doing in Windows either other than as part of some 'convergence' fetish. It isn't a new interface as seems to be advertised. It is, instead, just another new layer between the user and what they want to do. I'm not sure that's helpful and having used it today I can say it is about as intuitive as..... well I can't think of much that is less intuitive, which can't be a great idea on any level in a consumer level product. The Metro bit may be great on a phone (not that phone users seem to have voted it so). It may be great on tablets (to be proven), but I'm not sure what it is adding to the desktop/laptop sphere.

II can see that Microsoft intend for Metro to replace the 'start' menu so famously changed to be the 'bobble' menu in recent iterations because some in Microsoft thought it perverse that you shut down from it (they perversely still used a buuble help thing that said 'start' though and still left the shut down bit). The only problem is that it's half baked and like most changes in Windows I never expect it to be fully baked. As ever, if you tunnel down one layer you are in what might as well be XP and tunnel down one layer further and you are mostly back to WIndows 95.

There is the problem with Microsoft here. They just don't have a vision thing going on with WIndows. They are locked into a specific mentality that they clearly don't like much of Windows, but they don't know what to replace it with either. They seem unsure where to 'start' even - literally. They thus just add new layers between the user and the functions the user is tying to access. Lets take an explorer window in Windows 8, where ribbons have suddenly appeared. I admit to not being a fan of these ribbons, but I've learned to live with them (or remove them in the case of AutoCAD). The only problem with them in Explrer in Windows 8 is that they seem to have been introduced because of some diktat that all WIndows programs must have them regardless of whether they do anything meaningful. So now you now need to click on the tab then the ribbon button then the function (even when there is only one option) instead of just the one button before. In the case of mapping a network drive this is now 3 mouse clicks with no less than two options titled the same thing to tunnel through where in WIndows 7 it was one mouse click That's not progress in anyone's books. It's obstruction! Why 90% of the functions are there on those explorer ribbons I'm not sure other than to provide an excuse to have the tabs and ribboms there in the first place.

Someone I know derisively suggested that 8 is more like new curtains than new windows. I'm minded to agree, but the sad thing is that I can see where Metro might go. I'm just not convinced that Microsoft will ever take it there.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-12 23:05:20
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
If you don't like what's happening to Windows you'd be horrified at what is happening to OS X. Next step is that you'll only be able to install software form the App Store.

Yes also people are complaining about metro been to mobile/tablety (mainly apple fans taking the p out of windows as usual) but apple are basically turning mountian lion into IOS so good luck to that. (i bet though it will be oh apple are innovating bringing the os's together yet Microsoft dose it and oh no its stupid bringing tablet interface to desktops)

I honestly can never understand why someone would choose to have an Apple, I have tried countless times over the years and every single time I just end up thinking "Why the hell am I using this"

Im am the same ive owned a mac book ipad and an iphone 3g and 4 and every time they haven't lasted a month the macbook i did not like osx one bit pain in thee back side and could not justify the cost of the macbook to mainly run windows on so sold it and got a laptop 4 times more powerful and still had 150 quid spare , the Iphone 3g was very slow and lacked some things basic phones had for years before it, The 4 i thought ill give another chance still the same restricted phone for my likeing so that went i got the ipad the same time as the iphone 4 i was expecting more from it basically wanted it to replace a netbook that did not work so that went too.

I admit i am a huge windows fan i am actually one of the fans of metro and i also like to use linux ill admit im not a linux buff or anything but i do like it.

Mac users are welcome to use mac systems + osx/ios and im glad they enjoy using it but its defo not for me.

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 09:52:22
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
II can see that Microsoft intend for Metro to replace the 'start' menu so famously changed to be the 'bobble' menu in recent iterations because some in Microsoft thought it perverse that you shut down from it
They could have fixed that more cheaply and easily by calling it something other than Start. As I can get to it by pressing the Windows button on my keyboard why not call it Windows? Or Home or something?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to