Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 10:59:58
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

That sounds very logical. Alas logic of that kind seems to be something that Microsoft lacks in abundance. Instead it brings us Metro, which buries most of the funcltions behind several mouse clicks or puts then somewhere elese entirly that isn't on those sheets, but invoked by some mouse click or something else and brings up another interface entirely. As an example after my first use of WIndows 8 I simply could not find where you are supposed to shut it down. In the and I gave up and hit the reset button on the PC. I have since found that you need to move the pointer to the bottom right and select 'settings' from what appears to be a 'start' menu then select 'power' from the bar that appears on the right then select 'shutdown' from the menu there. [censored]? Who in their right mind came up with that proceedure? Just exactly how hard did they decide this was to be? It's got as much common sense attached to it as going from London to Brighton via Glasgow and Berlin.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 11:10:34
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Just press the power button. That's the best (and most logical) way to shut down any PC in an orderly manner.

And it's intuitive!

Granted in the pre-history days you had to select a shutdown option from a menu, when power management of PCs wasn't so good, but that's so last millenium.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 11:26:56
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I think you will find that many computers still in use today especially those in the workplace will not shut down gracefully by simply pressing the Power button. So if you don't know for sure that it will it is not the sort of thing you want to risk.

Not to mention that it depends what kind of shutdown that particular computer is set up to do: Sleep, Hibernate or Full? My three computers (desktop / laptop / nettop) are each set up differently to match their normal usage but occasionally I want to shut them down differently so need access to the menu options.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Edited by gomezz (Sun 04-Mar-12 11:32:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:01:46
Print Post

You set the computer to shut down, via the power button, as you want it to. And if you need to shut down differently the menu option is always there.

I don't know why people are making such a fuss about shutting down Windows 8; it's just as easy as Windows 7 once you know how. I think the problem is that people don't know how and don't want to do a little research to find the answer. And yet they want to play with beta software. crazy
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:21:59
Print Post

This is nothing to do with clever power management. It's to do with the conveneience of shutting down the PC in question without crawling about on the floor. Indeed, in this instane from the other side of the room. Any other OS GUI has a software power off option so has Windows 8, but for some some bizarre reason it takes access to no less than 4 completely different interface elements to access it. I'm sorry, but I don't see the sense of all the interface elements in the first place never mind why the power off option should be behind so may interface elements.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:23:26
Print Post

Please explain the simple, step by step way to shutdown in W8 using the menu option for the benefit of those of us who: a) do not bother tinkering with betas; or b) can only find a convoluted way of doing it.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:39:41
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

<Windows>+I, power, shut down. It's really not that difficult.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 13:43:06
Print Post

See my previous answer to Desmond. Three simple steps, just like in Windows 7. Personally I let the power button do the work. If you like to work with the desktop, rather than the Start screen <alt>-F4 is your starting point.

People who don't want to tinker with betas really shouldn't be tinkering with a beta. crazy

Edit: If all that is still too difficult, just create a shortcut and put it on the desktop or Start screen. Then it will be a single mouse click.

Edited by AEP (Sun 04-Mar-12 13:46:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:26:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
<Windows>+I, power, shut down. It's really not that difficult.
I really don't understand everyone's obsession with shutting down. I just shut the lid and my PC hibernates. If I leave it, it goes into standby after a while. This has been the case for years.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 14:34:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Fine if you use the computer every day. Other people's usage may be very different so you cannot really tell them they are wrong if you do not know their circumstances.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to